Lake Wisconsin
Bucky_Musky
Posted 5/9/2013 12:59 PM (#640236)
Subject: Lake Wisconsin

Has anyone else on here fished Lake Wisconsin for Musky? I typically fish from the Columbia power plant on down to Gallus Slough a little past Merrimac and have had limited luck even moving or seeing musky here.

Any pointers, tips or thoughts would be appreciated.

Thank you.
wallygator
Posted 5/9/2013 1:33 PM (#640240 - in reply to #640236)
Subject: Re: Lake Wisconsin

Years ago I used to fish it for bass ,pike and crappies...Lots of nice fish....Sorry no muskies

Wally
fishwisconsin3
Posted 5/9/2013 1:34 PM (#640241 - in reply to #640236)
Subject: RE: Lake Wisconsin

I've never fished it for muskies, but in a bass tournament this spring we caught 2 short muskies. One just shy of 30" or so and the other only about 24". Both were caught in the Merrimac area, but along the south shore.
Bucky_Musky
Posted 5/9/2013 3:14 PM (#640260 - in reply to #640241)

Thanks for the input guys. I know there are some hogs in there, but am struggling to put together a pattern, no matter the season.

FishWisconsin, thanks for the info. I will try to consider that. I fished a bass tournament there as well on April 20 for the college tournament and only caught short bass and a nice walleye by the grade.
PredLuR
Posted 5/10/2013 7:55 AM (#640369 - in reply to #640236)

Me and a buddy fished the heck out of it targeting just musky for most of a year and really struggled to see anything. Walleye guys get them for sure but there are alot of walleye guys trolling with alot of baits in the water and specifically targeting certain structure is difficult. There are some decent weedbeds in the bays and we fished those hard with very limited success. You could focus on specific areas of the river channel that runs through. We have gone up river from the Lake towards hookers and fished that and didnt see much. Again, there are some fish caught from time to time but usually bass and walleye guys. Regardless its tough sledding out there based on our experience however I do think its improving. I know there were fish stocked in there a few years back so it maybe a matter of time. Its nice to see smaller fish being caught as stocking might be helping. Between the lake and the connecting lower and upper sections of river, there is alot of room for fish to grow and plenty of food. Hopefully the stocking continues.

In the end we found that spending our time on the known waters paid off more and if you have unlimited time to get out, then you may be able to get patterns going. Its tough spending alot of time on a body of water in which you know success is going to be limited when there are lakes close by that have more established populations.
muskyhunter63
Posted 5/11/2013 9:23 AM (#640539 - in reply to #640236)

PM sent.
Ken
Bucky_Musky
Posted 5/12/2013 9:59 PM (#640897 - in reply to #640369)

Thanks Pred. I appreciate the insight.
danmuskyman
Posted 5/13/2013 7:51 PM (#641178 - in reply to #640236)

there is a fishable population of muskies in the lake but finding them is the struggle. the numbers are not even close compared to the madison chain nearby but i fish for them every year. my suggestion is dont be afraid to go shallow, i mean extremely shallow. i have found some nice fish in really skinny water, which is also where the only weeds are. then again the fish are also in the deep timber as well so dont overlook that either. try the river and you might up the odds of running into a few.