spider lake, hayward wi
scot
Posted 5/7/2013 8:07 AM (#639657)
Subject: spider lake, hayward wi

Just looking for any general info. My buddys goin up opening weekend and it will be his frist time on the lake.
Grass
Posted 5/7/2013 12:34 PM (#639725 - in reply to #639657)
Subject: RE: spider lake, hayward wi

I'm no expert on the Spider chain, have only fished it in Sept, but they are very pretty clear water lakes. The musky population is high density and the fish run a little smaller mostly in the low 30's for size. Reports are that guys have been catching bigger fish the last few yrs and that is proven by the Hayward MINC tourney results each yr. If I was going to fish it for the musky opener I would start with a mepps aglia or rapala husky jerk and see what happens.
3stripe
Posted 5/7/2013 1:20 PM (#639738 - in reply to #639657)
Subject: Re: spider lake, hayward wi

Fun water - really beautiful and usually not too crowded. Fish do run a little smaller but there are a lot of them in there! Early in the year hit the shallow weedy bays with spinner baits and glides. I've had good success with gold/yellow/brown color combos and natural patterns like walleye and perch.
PredLuR
Posted 5/7/2013 3:32 PM (#639780 - in reply to #639657)

I grew up on the lake and ma still runs the resort. Everyone is pretty much spot on, smaller fish with a few decent ones mixed in, decent being upper 30s. Look for the weed edges, they wont be hard to find. Try to focus on the points, bends, inside turns. Normal stuff. You can always go up into North and Fawn and fish some stained water. If its sunny out and calm, that might be your best bet for some action. Panfish are pretty stunted so the fish there are used to smaller baitfish and I would adjust your presentations accordingly, especially earlier in the year.

Was gonna head up to get docks in next weekend and hoping ice is off the lake.
blackhawk
Posted 5/8/2013 7:31 PM (#640126 - in reply to #639657)

Like everyone said its a fun lake largest fish we have put in the boat was a 44. We head there when the Chip is slow and last year the chip was really slow for us.
Langkamp's Guide Svc
Posted 5/12/2013 8:39 AM (#640735 - in reply to #639657)

Spider's definitely a numbers more than size lake but there were a couple 50" fish caught out there last year.
LarryO
Posted 5/12/2013 9:31 AM (#640744 - in reply to #639657)

Does anyone have a lodge / resort recommendation for Spider? We did a couple of day trips there a few years ago while on vacation at the Chip. We did enjoy it, even though the fish we caught were small.
Langkamp's Guide Svc
Posted 5/12/2013 10:04 AM (#640754 - in reply to #639657)

It depends on how many guys you have coming up but I know a couple that rents their cabin out at Indianhead resort on Fawn Lake (one of the 5 lakes on the chain) and their prices are pretty reasonable. Timber Bay Resort on little Spider is also a good place to stay. You can pm me if you want more details. There's also the spider lake motel which offers weekly rates that come out to around $40/night for a room with 2 full beds but you wouldn't be on the lake.