Fishing Log Apps that will synch..?..
Reef Hawg
Posted 4/5/2013 9:51 PM (#632235)
Subject: Fishing Log Apps that will synch..?..

Greetings,

I recently made the reluctant move to a smartphone, based on my wife's need for a new phone, and the associated data contract.

So now that I realize this thing can do more than play my favorite Widespread Panic tune for a ringtone instead of that annoying Motorola flip phone ring, I think I am ready for some useful apps.

What I am very interested in is a fishing log/journal/diary type app, that can easily synch to my computer(perhaps through google?). I pride myself in my fishing memory, and do remember the wheres/whats/whens of the important. However, as I get older I have alot more memories/years to keep track of, and much of that includes vital catch data that I'd like to retain accurately to go back to(ie I wish I could remember if it was march 2011 or march 2010 and what the water temp was when I got that 27" walleye on the swim shad). I am a member of Muskies Inc., so I have records of all Musky catches over the past decade or so, but I would like to track all of my outdoor activities, either while out there, or when I get off the water. I'd really like a decent, user friendly app that allows a quick entry with each fish, for certain data points, conditions, etc. Then, when I get home or off the water, I'd like to capture the rest in a comments section, much like a diary. Something that could synch to my computer version at home, where it can be filed, will be most usefull and almost neccessary.

I know there are other quick and dirty ways to track data, over the coarse of a trip away from home(a notebook being one of them), but as long as I have this seemingly mini computer now I just thought I'd check to see if there was anything you guys were using, that you really liked, that would allow for me to capture things once and synch, instead of summarizing notes when I get home from vacation. I have a Motorola Razr Maxx, Android.

Thanks in advance.

Edited by Reef Hawg 4/5/2013 10:01 PM
dcorfman
Posted 4/6/2013 10:36 AM (#632303 - in reply to #632235)
Subject: Re: Fishing Log Apps that will synch..?..

Look into Evernote. It is a note taking/organizing application that allows syncing across multiple types of devices. I use it on an android tablet, blackberry phone, and a PC (I am sure there is an iPhone app, as well). I use it for pretty much everything - seminar notes, fishing log, reference information, lists of all kinds, etc...

muskyslayer35
Posted 4/6/2013 12:30 PM (#632330 - in reply to #632235)

I use the fishing calendar app on my iPhone. I am not sure its compatibility with syncing though.
Steve
Posted 4/6/2013 7:28 PM (#632403 - in reply to #632235)
Subject: RE: Fishing Log Apps that will synch..?..

We have a free fishing pattern software and smartphone app check out myfishpattern.com
Bytor
Posted 4/6/2013 11:22 PM (#632446 - in reply to #632403)

You can use Dropbox to instantly share data from your phone to your computer. You could just keep your data log on that. Enter what you want on the water and fill in your details when you get home.
Steve
Posted 4/7/2013 7:07 AM (#632469 - in reply to #632446)

Sorry I responded to quickly last night, here is how http://www.myfishpattern.com works.

1. Enter your tackle on the website, when your done tap "sync tackle" on the iPhone or Android app, this will transfer all of your tackle to the app so you can create custom rod/reel/line/bait combos. You can actually collect your catch data in 4 seconds or less with GPS.

2. Built your custom rod combos and enter your condition defaults. Go into fish mode and start fishing, when you catch a fish tap on one of the rod combos you created that matches with what's in your hand, quickly scroll through your defaults and save. When your done fishing for the day simply sync your data over to your personal and private profile on our website.

3. Go to "Analysis" If our software finds commonalities in your catches it will be highlighted in Orange. Place your mouse cursor over the orange and start the "Pattern Wizard". Add pictures, notes and save!

4. You now have created a pattern, sync your pattern back to your phone so you always have it with you.

Hope this helps
sworrall
Posted 4/7/2013 8:10 AM (#632478 - in reply to #632235)

And you are gathering all my personal catch data for your use in the process, correct?
Posted 4/7/2013 8:20 AM (#632480 - in reply to #632478)

I understand your concern, but no. We didn't put our software on disk for the simple reason we want our users to have access to there information where ever they go.

sworrall - 4/7/2013 8:10 AM

And you are gathering all my personal catch data for your use in the process, correct?
Reef Hawg
Posted 4/7/2013 11:15 AM (#632515 - in reply to #632235)

"I understand your concern, but no. We didn't put our software on disk for the simple reason we want our users to have access to there information where ever they go. "

If I save the info to my phone, won't I have it wherever I go?

I've seen a few apps that look as though my info is 'shared' within a community for, perhaps, the 'greater good'..?.. I'm not interested in something like that, personally. What I'd really like is just a software that I can manipulate on my own devices, not through a website. I'll have to look into Troys idea, and create a spreadsheet with the info I'd like to capture. I checked out a couple apps available, and just didn't find one that suited me. They were either too involved, required web connection to save spot as map coordinate on google maps(which I'm leary of), or were lacking key entry area(ie depth caught, or one of them only had ranges for water temp such as 31-39, 40-49 etc).

The one thing I did like about a couple of the apps I viewed was that a few of them capture and save the local/current weather conditions within the entry. I thought that was pretty cool, not that I can't just enter my own data for that too.

Edited by Reef Hawg 4/7/2013 11:17 AM
horsehunter
Posted 4/7/2013 11:43 AM (#632522 - in reply to #632235)

I created my log in excel many moons ago and now have spread sheet pro on my phone which will sync but more often than not just use the voice recorder to keep notes and enter the log at home when I have more time. I also keep my dive curve info on a spreadsheet on the phone.

Edited by horsehunter 4/7/2013 11:44 AM
TylerS
Posted 4/7/2013 12:35 PM (#632531 - in reply to #632235)

There is a new app that a friend of mine is coming out with that is a log for fisherman.
If you get it on your phone it will sync with your Itunes account on the computer.
Check it out.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/id623869894?mt=8
Reef Hawg
Posted 4/7/2013 12:40 PM (#632533 - in reply to #632522)

horsehunter - 4/7/2013 11:43 AM

I created my log in excel many moons ago and now have spread sheet pro on my phone which will sync but more often than not just use the voice recorder to keep notes and enter the log at home when I have more time. I also keep my dive curve info on a spreadsheet on the phone.[/QU

Good idea.

Edited by Reef Hawg 4/7/2013 12:45 PM
Posted 4/7/2013 9:27 PM (#632634 - in reply to #632235)

You can collect information on our app without a wifi connection. The only time you need wifi is to sync your catch info back to the website to create a pattern. No one can see your information. Once a pattern is created you can sync it back to your phone where it always with you or you can print it out
Musky Chief
Posted 4/7/2013 9:56 PM (#632645 - in reply to #632235)

And I just fish. Wow
rjhyland
Posted 4/7/2013 10:38 PM (#632663 - in reply to #632235)

I am working on an Access data base for myself that will log and query all my fishing trips. Moon phases, length and girths and length X girth = Approx weight. Lakes fished, follows, figure 8's, Structures, winds, weather conditions, Lures, water temps, photos, videos. Trolling or casting, notes, and as much information I think of.

Ron

Dc
Posted 4/11/2013 5:23 AM (#633553 - in reply to #632235)

Try Google Calendar or Google Keep. Both are generic enough to use for whatever, and you can sync via the cloud.