Skunk Eagle Tail
mm3
Posted 3/29/2013 9:09 AM (#630557)
Subject: Skunk Eagle Tail

I was just searching around through Rollie and Helens and happened to read the reviews of the Eagle Tails. I own 3 or 4 of them and I am well aware of their effectiveness and history of big fish. The thing that really surprised me was that the two reviews both singled out the skunk haired version as being more effective than the others. Anyone agree or question this?
Jerry Newman
Posted 3/29/2013 10:14 AM (#630574 - in reply to #630557)
Subject: RE: Skunk Eagle Tail

mm3 - 3/29/2013 9:09 AM I was just searching around through Rollie and Helens and happened to read the reviews of the Eagle Tails. I own 3 or 4 of them and I am well aware of their effectiveness and history of big fish. The thing that really surprised me was that the two reviews both singled out the skunk haired version as being more effective than the others. Anyone agree or question this?

Chalk me me for questioning it because saying the smell adding to the effectiveness of the bait is an unknown…being more productive just because it smells like a skunk is speculation. 

I remember when they first introduced stuff you could spray on your lure and somebody decided to test its effectiveness on salmon as I recall. One of the tests was dipping the lure in gasoline, and they caught fish on that lure too.

I could understand smell making a difference still fishing for catfish, but I don't see how it could make a difference with a bucktail.

David_Bily
Posted 3/30/2013 11:03 AM (#630770 - in reply to #630557)

The skunk tail is my go to bucktail in the Eagle Tail lineup. I never attributed its productivity to an odor (although I've never lifted the thing to my nose wet or dry). I just figured it was the color contrast.
Missouri Wayne
Posted 4/3/2013 4:38 PM (#631681 - in reply to #630557)

Biggest fish I have ever had on came on a skunk double eagle tail. Over 50 inches on LOW.
Haven't ever had a hit on the other three colors I have. Don't know what it means but I forked out the dollars for a replacement because my line broke when the fish waas stripping line. Had 80 pound brade and the drag so tight I didn't think an fish could slip it.
Everyone has a fish that haunts them. This one is mine.