Basic Complement of Lures
Rookie1
Posted 3/26/2013 7:58 AM (#629806)
Subject: Basic Complement of Lures

I'll be fishing for Musky the last week of July and the first week of August. I'm new to the sport and I'd like to know what lures you'd take if you we're limited to five or six at the most. Please understand that I'd prefer to throw smaller lures.

Any and all advice will be greatly appreciated.
SixBowls
Posted 3/26/2013 8:15 AM (#629807 - in reply to #629806)
Subject: RE: Basic Complement of Lures

Mepps musky marabou or showgirl - black and nickel
Mini hot tail or 6" softtail phantom - bright/orange/red
Shallow raider or big game balsa - natural/perch for me
Top raider - loon
Fish Stick - black
Mini Medussa - firetiger

Zinox
Posted 3/26/2013 8:31 AM (#629811 - in reply to #629806)
Subject: Re: Basic Complement of Lures

I´m fishing for pike anyway, i would never go on a fishing trip without a 9" weighted Suick, in a dark natural color, and a spinnerbait in a dark color.
Veithr3293
Posted 3/26/2013 8:54 AM (#629821 - in reply to #629811)

Hammer crank bait 6" Shad
Small HardHead Black with an assortment of tails
Double 8 Black nickle
American hardwood mini dark or light
Rad Dog Spinner bait black nickle
One glide bait pick the brand you like
jimjimjim
Posted 3/26/2013 9:34 AM (#629829 - in reply to #629821)

9" weighted Suick ,,, sucker color
Mepps "Giant Killer" ,,, silver blade & black tail
8" JoeBucher "Shallow Raider" ,,, perch color
Sharpen the hooks with a hook file ----
---- good luck ---- jimjimjim
curleytail
Posted 3/26/2013 11:16 AM (#629855 - in reply to #629806)

End of July/early August I'm usually fishing over deeper water with my baits running a bit deeper, but I also tend to fish lakes that have a decent deep bite.

Without knowing what type of water you are fishing, and that you want to use smaller baits I would say:

Rad Dog (single blade). Black skirt, nickel blade (or flame blade if the water is stained)
Tripple D in a color you like (Walleye or Cisco should be good)
Small Pacemaker in black

Those 3 are all light to be thrown on a MH road and pretty easy to work from the surface to about 10 feet down. For a few more choices:

Mepps Musky Marabou
8 or 10 inch Jake, Grandma, Slammer, or Big Game minnow baits
Small Hardhead, Bulldawg, Super D, or Curly Sue. The smaller sizes are around 5 ounces and I know a guy that uses these instead of the big rubber baits and still does well

Cowgirl. Lightweight for casting. They pull a little harder on the retrieve but not THAT bad. When the fish are biting them, they can really, really work.

Tucker
The Swan
Posted 3/26/2013 11:29 AM (#629860 - in reply to #629806)

Rookie1 - 3/26/2013 7:58 AM

I'll be fishing for Musky the last week of July and the first week of August. I'm new to the sport and I'd like to know what lures you'd take if you we're limited to five or six at the most. Please understand that I'd prefer to throw smaller lures.

Where are you fishing? And when you say smaller lures, what do you mean? 6" and 7"? Larger?
FAT-SKI
Posted 3/26/2013 11:47 AM (#629866 - in reply to #629860)

9" weighted Suick
Double Show girl (black skirt/nickle blades)
Mini Medussa
Top raider or smaller pacemaker
6" phantom soft tail or 6" muskie treat (treats can be counted down and stay there)
6" - 8" jake
Shallow raider
Depth raider
shallow invader
Eagle tail (musky mayhem)

Choose your colors based on the water clarity that you will be fishing and the forage that lives there.

hope that at least helps
Rookie1
Posted 3/26/2013 12:17 PM (#629880 - in reply to #629860)

The Swan - 3/26/2013 11:29 AM

Rookie1 - 3/26/2013 7:58 AM

Where are you fishing? And when you say smaller lures, what do you mean? 6" and 7"? Larger?

Thanks everyone for all your input. Obviously, this is a very kind and helpful community of fisher people.

I'll be fishing in Canada. I'd like to think I'd not need to throw anything any larger than 3-4 ounces. My reel is a Toro 51, 5.4:1 gear ratio on a 7'6" Avid MH rod.
kyle@bigwoodmuskylur
Posted 3/26/2013 12:23 PM (#629882 - in reply to #629806)

All good lure suggestions above. Getting a few different bait styles that allow you to cover different parts of the water column is key at this point. This time of year, fast moving baits tend to out produce slow presentations for me.
I especially like the hook file suggestion as hooks are almost never sharp enough right out of the package!

Other overlooked items for some beginners are good line, a quality leader, appropriate landing net and good release tools!

Watch those surface temps at this time of year that can really stress the fish and make sure someone in the boat has a good pair of hook cutters. Hoping for a much more moderate Summer than last year...

Hope you catch a monster! Good Luck!
Muskie Bob
Posted 3/26/2013 1:35 PM (#629906 - in reply to #629806)

bucktails & spinner baits - black with silver blade(s) and black with orange or red blade(s)
top raider or Tyrant's Crusader
Tyrant's Lola
some type of "walk the dog" topwater

rjhyland
Posted 3/26/2013 3:26 PM (#629936 - in reply to #629806)

My list is almost the same as Fat-SkI's with 2 exceptions. I would use a Weagle for the Shallow Raider and add a Manta for the Eagle Tail. Everything else the same. Some nice lists and lots of options.
Ron
Jeff Hanson
Posted 3/26/2013 3:58 PM (#629939 - in reply to #629936)

reread Kyles post very good important info
Baits I would pick:
Reg. Bulldawg
Double 8 Spanky
Muskie Train MF Shad
One Eye Willy JR
Big Joe
9" Weighted suick
Jeff Hanson
madisonmuskyguide.com
The Swan
Posted 3/27/2013 9:43 AM (#630102 - in reply to #629880)

3-4 oz. is not on the small side. If I was doing this trip I would be going with at least one Mepps Magnum Muskie Killer with a tandem tail--it's the time of year. Silver blade; black tail. One willow leaf style bucktail, say the Mepps Giant Killer with a tandem tail. One Bucher Topraider in Loon or Blackbird. And then some crankbaits. Things with a good track record. For shallow, I'd want a 6.5" Wiley, jointed, or a 7" Grandma. For mid-depth, give me one or two 7" or 8" Believers--again the time of year. For deeper casting, the Bucher Depthraider, 8". But you might catch more fish if you used 6" Belivers or 6" Depthraiders. Another bait I like--but this might be too light for your outfit--is the 6" Jake with hooks downsized to #1. This is for shallow water casting. I'd stick to natural finnish cranks unless the water is dark. Good luck.
The Swan
Posted 3/27/2013 9:52 AM (#630107 - in reply to #629880)

3-4 oz. is not on the small side. If I was doing this trip I would be going with at least one Mepps Magnum Muskie Killer with a tandem tail--it's the time of year. Silver blade; black tail. One willow leaf style bucktail, say the Mepps Giant Killer with a tandem tail. One Bucher Topraider in Loon or Blackbird. And then some crankbaits. Things with a good track record. For shallow, I'd want a 6.5" Wiley, jointed, or a 7" Grandma. For mid-depth, give me one or two 7" or 8" Believers--again the time of year. For deeper casting, the Bucher Depthraider, 8". But you might catch more fish if you used 6" Belivers or 6" Depthraiders. Another bait I like--but this might be too light for your outfit--is the 6" Jake with hooks downsized to #1. This is for shallow water casting. I'd stick to natural finnish cranks unless the water is dark. Good luck.