Split ring
ILmuskie
Posted 2/6/2013 7:47 PM (#615463)
Subject: Split ring

I see some musky lures that have split ring on nose like Sledge, Jerko, Smity, etc. Why is that? I removed split ring and use wire that come with a snap. I dont like to put snap on the ring and I do homemade wire to tie a ring would make a nice side to side action. I wondered, what you do about split ring on lures?

1. wire tie to ring
2. remove ring and use snap with wire
3. snap with wre leader on ring
which one you like? Any other suggest that would make lure nice action like side to side, etc.
Zib
Posted 2/6/2013 7:57 PM (#615465 - in reply to #615463)
Subject: RE: Split ring

For gliders I attach my solid wire leader directly to the split ring, no snap. For lures that have a small opening on the line tie I use a split ring so that my Stay-Lok snap can attach easier. Some of the line ties on my bull dawgs were too small & I had a hard time attaching my Stay-Lok snap so I put split rings on them.

esoxaddict
Posted 2/6/2013 8:05 PM (#615471 - in reply to #615463)
Subject: Re: Split ring

I've added split rings to a number of lures because the staylok snaps I use will not fit through the eyelet.
RyanJoz
Posted 2/6/2013 8:13 PM (#615476 - in reply to #615463)

I add split rings to all baits, except bucktails, that don't come with them. Snap to the split ring. Muskie baits are big enough and move enough that it doesn't effect the action of the bait.

63 muskies last year agreed with me by the way. Not one failure in a snap or a split ring.
muskie! nut
Posted 2/6/2013 9:53 PM (#615507 - in reply to #615463)

I don't trust snaps - period. They are bent and bent and get weak and break. The snap is now the weakest link since we started using braid.

I have split rings on all my baits and use a solid ring on the leader (cable or solid wire) to secure the bait to the leader.
ILmuskie
Posted 2/7/2013 8:01 AM (#615565 - in reply to #615463)

Thanks! So you tie wire to the ring for better action and stronger than snap?
muskie! nut
Posted 2/7/2013 8:25 AM (#615572 - in reply to #615463)

My leaders have a solid ring on the end and I use the solid ring to the split ring on the nose of the bait. The split ring stays on the bait. Opening and closing a split ring also fatigues the ring when going through a thick diameter bait eye.

So to recap my leader consists of a swivel (unless its a bait that doesn't roll, i.e. jerkbait or walk the dog bait), length of wire, and on the end is a solid ring. If you are using single strand wire and its thick enough (> .029 diameter), you can get by with just a loop and no solid ring. Thinner single strand wire can get between the opening of the split ring and work its way out and you can loose a bait that way, too.
50+
Posted 2/7/2013 8:24 PM (#615769 - in reply to #615507)

muskie! nut - 2/6/2013 10:53 PM

I have split rings on all my baits and use a solid ring on the leader (cable or solid wire) to secure the bait to the leader.

Crappy cell pics but..

Leader from Stealth Tackle with a solid ring. Then what it looks like on a bait. You can also buy packs of the solid rings from MTO if you make your own leaders with fluro or wire.

Zoom - | Zoom 100% | Zoom + | Expand / Contract | Open New window
Click to expand / contract the width of this image
(leader1.jpg)

(leader2.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments leader1.jpg (188KB - 234 downloads)
Attachments leader2.jpg (179KB - 226 downloads)
Kirby Budrow
Posted 2/7/2013 8:54 PM (#615776 - in reply to #615463)

I like a split ring on my hogwobblers. I think it helps the action. Also the snaps don't fit without one sometimes.
ILmuskie
Posted 2/8/2013 7:34 AM (#615825 - in reply to #615463)

50+ NICE! Thanks for show us your pictures!
ILmuskie
Posted 2/8/2013 7:38 AM (#615827 - in reply to #615463)

I will play with my lures at small crystal clear lake to see how good my lures is. Plan to remove the ring and tie wire loop. 100 to 106 lbs test wire line.
bryantukkah
Posted 2/8/2013 11:27 AM (#615890 - in reply to #615471)

esoxaddict - 2/6/2013 9:05 PM

I've added split rings to a number of lures because the staylok snaps I use will not fit through the eyelet.

If you take a pair of needle nose pliers and just barely bend out the end of the snap it will go through any eyelet. I've yet to have one even begin to fail or come undone doing this for years now.
esoxaddict
Posted 2/8/2013 11:34 AM (#615893 - in reply to #615890)

bryantukkah - 2/8/2013 11:27 AM

esoxaddict - 2/6/2013 9:05 PM

If you take a pair of needle nose pliers and just barely bend out the end of the snap it will go through any eyelet. I've yet to have one even begin to fail or come undone doing this for years now.

Hmm. Thanks, Bryan! I'm going to have to try that.
bryantukkah
Posted 2/8/2013 12:23 PM (#615902 - in reply to #615893)

Yeah,
I mean just barely tweak it out a tiny tiny bit, and snake it right through the eyelet.
Mudpuppy
Posted 2/8/2013 12:37 PM (#615910 - in reply to #615463)

Easy fix.....just solder the spit ring with a tiny iron and s small dab of solder; I have been doing this for 25 years with no open split rings yet. Pink liquid flux is needed.
BNelson
Posted 2/8/2013 1:21 PM (#615918 - in reply to #615463)

not sure i quite agree w some comments about snaps.... I use to be 100% split ring guy but now use stay locs for some applications, mainly crank baits as I feel I can get them to "dance" better w a stay loc vs split ring....
as to a #5 stay loc which is rated at 300 POUNDS being the weakest link???.....how is that the weakest link when guys are using 80 or 100 lb line and leaders well under 200 lbs... now of course if you open and close something 10000 times it will get weaker, what most of the guys i fish with do and seems to work is when the paint on the bend gets worn off replace it w a new one.... nobody i know or fish with has had a #5 stay loc break, if anyone has please chime in.....
one other thing that is worth mentioning is if you use split rings only, there is a chance the leader will work its way into and off the split ring...i've come close to losing a few baits that way and thankfully caught it before hooking a fish...just something to keep an eye on
SixBowls
Posted 2/9/2013 5:14 AM (#616032 - in reply to #615918)

BNelson - 2/8/2013 1:21 PM

not sure i quite agree w some comments about snaps.... I use to be 100% split ring guy but now use stay locs for some applications, mainly crank baits as I feel I can get them to "dance" better w a stay loc vs split ring....
as to a #5 stay loc which is rated at 300 POUNDS being the weakest link???.....how is that the weakest link when guys are using 80 or 100 lb line and leaders well under 200 lbs... now of course if you open and close something 10000 times it will get weaker, what most of the guys i fish with do and seems to work is when the paint on the bend gets worn off replace it w a new one.... nobody i know or fish with has had a #5 stay loc break, if anyone has please chime in.....
one other thing that is worth mentioning is if you use split rings only, there is a chance the leader will work its way into and off the split ring...i've come close to losing a few baits that way and thankfully caught it before hooking a fish...just something to keep an eye on

I use #5 Stay Locs on most of my leaders and I have had them break while changing baits. Keep an eye on them because after xx number of bait changes, they are the weakest link.
ARmuskyaddict
Posted 2/9/2013 11:17 AM (#616084 - in reply to #615463)

^^^ I agree. I have been worrying about this. I spent around 6 hours fishing last year. In my last 5 hours I had a #5 staylock break on me, it was new before the 60 hours and from a reputable online store. I have been looking for an alternative.
Top H2O
Posted 2/9/2013 11:49 AM (#616094 - in reply to #616084)

I've been using Stay loc snaps from Throne Bro's for 10 yrs. without any problems,...If they look like they are beat up or the finish starts to wear I 'll replace them.
I do put a split ring on some of the larger lures that I throw.

Jerome
Jerry Newman
Posted 2/9/2013 3:30 PM (#616142 - in reply to #616084)

ARmuskyaddict - 2/9/2013 11:17 AM ^^^ I agree. I have been worrying about this. I spent around 6 hours fishing last year. In my last 5 hours I had a #5 staylock break on me, it was new before the 60 hours and from a reputable online store. I have been looking for an alternative.

An alternative? (Setting aside the side to side action question for a moment).

When I started making leaders way back when the best snap available was the Berkley cross lock, but they had to be changed as soon as the paint wore off like others have recommended with the stay-loc... or be at risk. So when Joe Bucher first introduced the split ring concept I was all over it, but quickly ran into a problem with the single-strand wire leader working off the split ring as BNelson alluded too. I was frustrated with the split ring deal, and didn't want to go back to the cheap cross lock, so I decided to make my own snaps out of American fishing wire .043 diameter 360 pound test. I reuse these near bulletproof snaps without hesitation, and have never had one break.

Pictured is of one of Mic Drury’s (AHL) super snaps with the longer tag end and one I made five years ago or so out of the .043... And is still in service.  FYI, the long tag end is needed because of the way muskies hit the head of the bait, it keeps the snap from inadvertently opening on a fish, but still attaches fast and easy to most lures. I know Mic loves the "forever" super snap, but they're just too big & bulky for me. 

With that said; for you guys who like to use fluorocarbon leaders like the one pictured above, I think the split ring/welded ring is excellent because the larger diameter welded ring can’t easily slip through the split ring like it does with the narrow diameter single-strand wire leader. The first step in addressing a problem is identification and if I could have figured that out back then, I would probably be a split ring guy now.

Lasty regarding my limited experience with the stay-Loc; I trolled out of a friend's boat with his equipment quite a bit a few years back and my impression was that stay-loc used better quality wire than the old cross lock, but obviously still no reason for me to consider them.  Honestly, with all the improvements being made with our tackle lately I'm surprised that we don't have a better snap option that's commercially available.  

(IMAG0415.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments IMAG0415.jpg (17KB - 215 downloads)
Jerry Newman
Posted 2/9/2013 4:51 PM (#616166 - in reply to #615463)

ILmuskie - 2/6/2013 7:47 PM I see some musky lures that have split ring on nose like Sledge, Jerko, Smity, etc. Why is that? I removed split ring and use wire that come with a snap. I dont like to put snap on the ring and I do homemade wire to tie a ring would make a nice side to side action. I wondered, what you do about split ring on lures? 1. wire tie to ring 2. remove ring and use snap with wire 3. snap with wre leader on ring which one you like? Any other suggest that would make lure nice action like side to side, etc.

As above, I use those homemade snaps and don't hesitate to use a quality split ring on the nose of the bait if needed.  Whatever you decide on, a heavier gauge single-strand wire normally increases the side to side action for those type of lures more than how its attached.  Generally speaking, I have a pretty strong preference for wire over fluorocarbon for that very reason, but I also think there are good arguments for each depending on your personal preference for lures, ect.

Posted 2/15/2013 11:58 AM (#617738 - in reply to #615463)

Cool,. I'm going to try and make some of those 360# snaps this weekend.