Wabigoon / Dinorwic musky in July??
Booch
Posted 1/28/2013 12:49 PM (#612969)
Subject: Wabigoon / Dinorwic musky in July??

Our regular annual trips have typically been to Eagle, LOTW, Pipestone, Cedar... but never to Wabigoon or Dinorwic. Considering them this year.

Can anyone speak to the feel/pressure/conditions/hazards of these two lakes?
Musky Brian
Posted 1/28/2013 2:18 PM (#613000 - in reply to #612969)
Subject: RE: Wabigoon / Dinorwic musky in July??

Booch - 1/28/2013 12:49 PM

Our regular annual trips have typically been to Eagle, LOTW, Pipestone, Cedar... but never to Wabigoon or Dinorwic. Considering them this year.

feel- gonna have a different feel then the other lakes you mentioned, it's close/right on Dryden and the north part of the lake has a good amount of development.

pressure - for Muskies, very little. does get hit for walleyes, including several "big" tournaments

conditions - very murky water, heavy brown stain. Downside - you cant see crap upside - pike and sometimes the Musky strike with ferocity, they dont have the luxury of staring at something for 20 yards

hazards - many are not marked but it's nowhere near as bad as Eagle or LOTW

If I were to stay there again ( which I would not) I would stay at Bonnie Bay or somewhere on Dinorwic. For fishing success I would say it can be just as good as pipestone or cedar for chances of putting fish in the boat, with at times great pike fishing. Compared to LOTW? no thanks
Allstate48
Posted 1/28/2013 6:07 PM (#613052 - in reply to #612969)

We've been staying at Indian Point Camp for 4, or 5 years. Water is very dirty, but alot of chances for fish. Good luck Doug
ChinWhiskers
Posted 1/28/2013 7:26 PM (#613082 - in reply to #612969)

You Got to book into HUBER'S LONE PINE LODGE on DINORWIC Just up stream from WABIGOON look them up on the web, they treated us like family. WE fished musky on Wabigoon and Dinorwic and had a 20# class musky actualy jump in the boat when my partner was dangling a mepps over the side of the boat. One day we caught a 18# northern and brought it in to get it weighed and take a photo for the resort. every body came over to see, they were from Ohio and didn't know anything about musky or pike . we put the fish on ice and went back out and stoped at the first weed patch just to try some baits I got another pike that was the same size as the first one and back in to camp we went and we were the the heros of the camp. these guys coudn't belive their eyes . I don't know how the fishing is now but If I went back I would book a week into Huber's Marv. ( IV'E BEEN EVERY WHERE MAN )
muskyadamovich
Posted 1/28/2013 9:25 PM (#613116 - in reply to #612969)

Donorwik is not a good musky lake. Wabigoon is pretty good. Very little pressure! I like the lake and would go there again. We did great the first year with a 13 fish week 4 of them were between 48 to 50. Couple 45 plus and a few low 40. Last year was tougher. Boated some low 40s but was able to blow 2 very large fish and saw some tanks. Just timing. We always go 1st week of August.
rudy
Posted 1/29/2013 8:22 AM (#613180 - in reply to #612969)

we fished out of indian point 2 times and i loved it.caught plenty of fish,saw some tanks and lost 2 supertankers.plenty of pike to keep you going.the water is stained like river water so you gotta stay focused every second.it's heart attack fishing as the fish appear out of nowhere and strike like it's their last meal.i know alot of people who don't like the water but i think it's about as good as it gets.i'll be back there again someday!
Booch
Posted 1/29/2013 12:00 PM (#613244 - in reply to #612969)
Subject: Re: Wabigoon / Dinorwic musky in July??

Thanks for all the info, so far.
sworrall
Posted 1/30/2013 2:15 PM (#613547 - in reply to #612969)

I love that water. Your timing would be perfect, too. Shallow bite, weeds, rocks, weed/rock combos. Big pike in numbers, easy walleyes, nice smallies, and a cool flowage experience. The water has suspended clay particles in it, and has cleared up immensely since I started fishing there. When it ices over and the clay settles out, the water is crystal (REALLY) clear.

Spinnerbaits in the slop, 10's on the top of the submerged stuff and rock, topwaters, and a net. Great trip. If you need help, I'd be happy to mark up a map for you.
Booch
Posted 2/11/2013 12:14 PM (#616631 - in reply to #612969)

It's confirmed. We are going to Merkels on Wabigoon, 3rd week in July. Gives us decent access to both lakes. Steve, with those being new lakes for all in our group, I'd love any info you can provide!

Edited by Booch 2/11/2013 12:16 PM
beaglerr
Posted 2/16/2013 10:55 PM (#618043 - in reply to #612969)

I will also be at Merkels ,coming in July 20th. My 8th trip to Terry and Merrils camp.If I dont boat 8 that week I will be shocked.
elkman99
Posted 2/18/2013 9:21 PM (#618453 - in reply to #613000)

Musky Brian - 1/28/2013 2:18 PM

Booch - 1/28/2013 12:49 PM

feel- gonna have a different feel then the other lakes you mentioned, it's close/right on Dryden and the north part of the lake has a good amount of development.

pressure - for Muskies, very little. does get hit for walleyes, including several "big" tournaments

conditions - very murky water, heavy brown stain. Downside - you cant see crap upside - pike and sometimes the Musky strike with ferocity, they dont have the luxury of staring at something for 20 yards

hazards - many are not marked but it's nowhere near as bad as Eagle or LOTW

If I were to stay there again ( which I would not) I would stay at Bonnie Bay or somewhere on Dinorwic. For fishing success I would say it can be just as good as pipestone or cedar for chances of putting fish in the boat, with at times great pike fishing. Compared to LOTW? no thanks :)

I don't think you can fairly compare success rates on these lakes with blanket statements. I have fished Cedar, Pipestone, Dinorwic, and Wabigoon. they are all great lakes and each own distinct and different qualities. In my own experience, the number of fish one needs to put in the boat on these outstanding fisheries to be considered "successful" is quite different.
Booch
Posted 4/29/2013 12:45 PM (#638204 - in reply to #612969)

Hoping to revive this thread for some more information, as I start the process of inventory on my tackle and deciding what lures I don't yet have, don't necessarily need, but just have to buy!

We'll be up there in mid-July, and it sounds like the general consensus is to throw big bright blades in/over the shallow slop, and near the shorelines. More "fishing" than "hunting" for musky, is what I gather.

Any other input? What about pike? Typically, we are content with catching them while throwing for musky, or taking a break and throwing smaller stuff in the coon tails. Any suggestions if we were to dedicate some time to big pike?
sworrall
Posted 4/29/2013 5:00 PM (#638236 - in reply to #638204)

Big Pike:
If you fish the reefs and islands, rock rubble tips with and without weeds, and fish the bays in the slop with big blades, topwater, twitch baits, and Suicks, you will catch all the big Pike you want to. if they are not in tle slop, look at the edge of the current breaks in the bays. If not there either, look at the outside edges of the weeds and rock breaks. Not there, head for the island groups mid current off the river channel and fish your way around the smaller ones and reefs off the islands.
rfraver
Posted 5/1/2013 8:22 PM (#638707 - in reply to #638236)

Huge Pike....Pike that make a 40" Muskie look SMALL. Really!!
Steve Van Lieshout
Posted 5/4/2013 6:31 PM (#639211 - in reply to #612969)

Years ago there was a map showing the hazards which was developed by the local Dryden Yacht Club.
I don't know if the club is still in tact or not.
The murkiness of the water takes some getting used to, but as a good friend who introduced me to the lake says, "Do you want to see muskies, or do you want to catch them?"
It was a great Canadian experience with plenty of structure and islands galore. Many days we didn't see other fishermen for hours!

Edited by Steve Van Lieshout 5/4/2013 6:32 PM
toddb
Posted 5/4/2013 7:42 PM (#639216 - in reply to #639211)

If anyone needs the hazard file, I have the waypoints. Pm and I will get them to you somehow.
davemcp
Posted 5/29/2013 3:11 PM (#643921 - in reply to #638204)

I will be there the second week of July. Last year we put ten in the boat with my seven year old and 18 yr. old daughter. We had to of had our hooks into twenty fish up to 4ft plus. After fishing this area for the last four years, here is what I know works. Black and silver bucktails, gold and yellow bucktails, top waters, and black and silver spinners. Spinners in the above color combo is what I will throw 80% of the time. The fish love when you work a spinner over cover and then just let the blade flutter. I probably use the smallest amount of lures on Wabigoon/DInorwic in comparison to what I would throw on Eagle or LOTW because the above combinations just flat out work on this body of water. Yes I will still bring the rest of the lures I can fit in my boat but honestly I could make this trip with a dozen lures and not blink an eye. All the pike you want will also come along for the ride. If you want to increase your pike ratio change a spinner to chartruse and put a big grub tail on it.
Booch
Posted 5/29/2013 3:34 PM (#643928 - in reply to #612969)

Thanks. I've got a good stock of those colors, now. Several new ones because I didn't feel I had enough last year at Eagle (even though I threw my Red/Red Cowgirl 80% of the time!) Can't wait.

Edited by Booch 5/29/2013 3:35 PM