Shimano Clarus rod
ARmuskyaddict
Posted 12/29/2012 3:23 PM (#605912)
Subject: Shimano Clarus rod

I put this in the wrong Forum, sorry:

Does anyone have any info/experience with a Shimano's Clarus rod for musky. A friend of mine who is a buyer at a sporting goods store can get me a 2 piece Heavy 8'6" with an extra fast tip for cost. We are both in Arkansas and he can order it to the store, so I won't have to pay shipping, which is a plus. But, they don't carry it at the store, so I cannot see it before buying it. Specs look OK, but it does have a shorter handle and the handle also looks thin. I also don't know about an extra fast tip, I've only used fast tips. I have to stick with 2 piece rods as I travel in a car to meet my musky addiction.

Any feedback is appreciated.

Edited by ARmuskyaddict 12/29/2012 3:34 PM
Turkeyt
Posted 12/29/2012 6:57 PM (#605952 - in reply to #605912)
Subject: RE: Shimano Clarus rod

Get a Tackle Industries 2 piece rod. Better componets and warranty. Ask James, he will get you on track. Just a thought.
CU301DSV
Posted 12/29/2012 7:01 PM (#605953 - in reply to #605952)
Subject: RE: Shimano Clarus rod

Turkeyt - 12/29/2012 7:57 PM

Get a Tackle Industries 2 piece rod. Better componets and warranty. Ask James, he will get you on track. Just a thought.

That or try a 9' telescopic (slides down to 7'6").

I've had to take my '79 VW Rabbit fishing many times and I can fit 8' one piece rods in it.
ARmuskyaddict
Posted 12/29/2012 10:33 PM (#606048 - in reply to #605912)
Subject: Re: Shimano Clarus rod

I have a 2 piece TI 9' XH and love it, as well as some Super D's. James makes some great stuff. I was wondering if the Clarus would work because I can get it so cheap (Limited Lifetime Warranty), not looking at other rod recommendations. When I am traveling it has to go in my trunk as the kid and dog get in the way...
skiezo
Posted 1/2/2013 4:13 PM (#606935 - in reply to #606048)

The extra fast tip is a real PITA to cast with. It would be good for dead sticking tubes
or other large soft plastics. As far as for other baits I would go with a fast or mod/fast.
These rods only load/bend the top 1/4 of the tip. The rest is like a broomstick.
I use one for my bass fishing and it is only for throwing tubes/senkos.
I tried a x/fast M/H musky rod and it did not cast worth a darn and hook sets I felt like I would break the tip off.

Just my opinion tho. It is all up to what you like. Me, fast or mod/fast.

Brian
ARmuskyaddict
Posted 1/2/2013 4:36 PM (#606947 - in reply to #605912)

Thanks, that's what I was wondering. It sux being limited to 2 piece rods. I was thinking of throwing small crankbaits and straight retrieve topwaters with it, but would hate for it to break on me. And since I do my musky fishing in MN, the chance of hooking a large fish is much greater than down south. I keep a H 8' 1 piece at my moms in MN, but need a 2nd rod for a spring trip down south. I think James from TI mentioned having a new 2 piece rod coming out soon on another post, so I will check with him.