Point and shoot recomendation..
Reef Hawg
Posted 12/28/2012 5:40 PM (#605814)
Subject: Point and shoot recomendation..

Greetings,

I have been running an Olympus SW 1030, the shock and waterproof point and shoot, for years. I love it. It is getting tired and I'm upgrading it to the new Olympus TG-1 unless I hear a bad report. The one thing I don't like the looks of is no inherent lens cover but with all the other features I can get past that.

With that said, my wife has been wanting her own point and shoot for a couple years. I knew she didn't need a waterproof rig, and I really liked the photos my dads Panisonic Lumix with the Leica lens takes, so I went with the new Lumix DMC-ZS19. It was rated very high on CNET and has 20X optical zoom, and too many other features to mention. She was very surprised with this stocking stuffer and we got right down to business, and thats where it got interesting. I have tried several shooting modes, including the auto mode where I admittedly leave my Olympus in most of the time in the boat. The photos, while brighter than those from my Olympus, are just not very sharp when I zoom in.

Now, I know I cannot expect DSLR photos from this rig, and I don't expect it, but I am a bit of a photophile and have just always really liked and been satisfied with the pics from my olympus. The photos from this 5 year newer loaded, fairly expensive, Lumix, are just not what I expected. Poor enough that I am going to return it.

Can you guys give me some recomendations on a really good compact point and shoot with good optical zoom? I am not looking for features, just simple photo modes and video. I want crisp photos that I can zoom in on, like I can with my Olympus. If my SW 1030 was not running out of fuel I'd just give that to her...

Right now on the radar, are the Canon Powershot SX 260 and the Sony Cybershot WX 150. Would like to check out a new Olympus but have no news on any of the new ones other than the TG.

Thanks in advance, and I understand if this is moved the the tackle and equipment page

Edited by Reef Hawg 12/28/2012 5:46 PM
Jeff78
Posted 12/28/2012 9:26 PM (#605824 - in reply to #605814)
Subject: Re: Point and shoot recomendation..

Jason,

Check out the reviews on the Nikon P510, just bought my wife one for Xmas. Got it from Staples for $230 after discounts, it has 42X optical zoom amongst many features that I will never use. From my limited playing around with it though it really looks like a great deal.

Jeff
Reef Hawg
Posted 12/28/2012 10:06 PM (#605828 - in reply to #605814)
Subject: RE: Point and shoot recomendation..

Thank you so much for the tip Jeff. Just checked it out. Looking at that one, I should consider a body type camera for the amount of photos I take. While it looks like a killer rig, she wants a standard point and shoot size, that she can toss in her purse etc.

Edited by Reef Hawg 12/28/2012 10:12 PM
BenR
Posted 12/29/2012 11:52 AM (#605883 - in reply to #605814)

Fuji has some real nice options, especially in the weather/shock proof.
muskie! nut
Posted 12/29/2012 12:08 PM (#605887 - in reply to #605814)

I purchased a Olympus TG-820HS last August and like a lot. I had a 410 before and that one is still working and gave it to my niece and nephew.

You mentioned "I don't like the looks of is no inherent lens cover", this unit of mine does have a cover that covers the lens when not in use.

I have shot a few videos and they look good. I'm leery about posting videos to you tube.

Hope this helps.
wicked
Posted 12/29/2012 12:36 PM (#605893 - in reply to #605814)

we have several of the canon powershots the 120 150 and an older one we gave to the kids they take unbelievable pics you wont be sorry with a canon they have an auto mode and an easy mode
Reef Hawg
Posted 12/29/2012 6:17 PM (#605940 - in reply to #605814)

Thanks for all the tips so far. Again I don't want another shock and waterproof rig, as one in the family is enough. Just a really good simple point and shoot with some level of zoom. I'll research the models listed.
Pointerpride102
Posted 12/29/2012 6:51 PM (#605949 - in reply to #605814)

While I know you are looking for point and shoots I'd really urge you to just go get a DSLR. The lower end models have really come down in price. And the jump in picture quality is pretty significant, IMO.

I finally upgraded from point and shoot and went big with the Canon 7D. Now obviously you don't need to go that high end but I think you'd notice the upgrade and if you shop around wouldn't be out all that much more than a higher end point and shoot.
Pete Stoltman
Posted 12/31/2012 4:45 PM (#606403 - in reply to #605814)

Have to agree that the Canon Powershot cameras are user friendly and take very nice shots. They are a bit slower (reset time?) than some of the others on the market but I'm using my second generation of those now and have been very happy.
esox50unplugged
Posted 1/2/2013 9:29 AM (#606822 - in reply to #605814)

Jason,

This might help you. http://www.dpreview.com/articles/2367736880/roundup-enthusiast-zoom...
Esox Madness
Posted 1/2/2013 10:21 AM (#606838 - in reply to #605814)

My only experience are with Canons and Nikons… like them both greatly and they take great quality photos for under $200 “point and shoot” style cameras. I’ve owed a handful of Canon PowerShot models and they have held up bomb proof for me (accidental drops ect) and I can’t complain about Nikon’s Coolpix models either.

If I were to choose between these two mfg’s I would again stick with the Canon; solely for the delayed timer functions. On my Canon PowerShot ELPH 110, you can set the delayed timer anywhere from 3-30seconds (most all cameras have this feature) but what I really like is that I can also have it take 1-10 shot burst with a single set delay. My Nikon Coolpix S6300 does not have the delayed multiple shot feature.

As I fish primarily by myself this is a critical feature to have because out of 10 shots I can get solo, maybe one turns out good… at the same time only having the fish out of the water for no more than 30 seconds. Have a mini compact tripod and shot angle ready before lifting them out of the bag and you’re good to go.

Again these are for sub $200 cameras that most feature full HDMI video these days as well and 10+MB resolution. I can’t speak for any other brands but I’m a Canon fan simply for the delayed multi-shot feature.