Hot Foot

Posted 12/14/2002 9:27 AM (#6001)
Subject: Hot Foot

Anyone here that is runing a bass boat to fish ski's using a hot foot?

If so, how does it work when it's early Nov. and you have winter boots on? I don't think they have adjustments to them, how have you used your's when your all bundled up?
thx much.

Posted 12/14/2002 10:13 AM (#53027)

Greg,I run a hotfoot on my bullet boat and it kinda sucks in the fall. I have to kick my boot off when its that cold,they have a small hook that covers your pinkie toe which makes it impossible to use in the cold. But I dont think I would have a boat without it.

Posted 12/14/2002 11:56 AM (#53028)

I have a Hot Foot on my Triton 205, and for most of the season it's O.K. However, in the late fall I find that the thing freezes solid. I spend every morning in 20 degree weather with a hair dryier warming the thing up so I can go fishing. The biggest problem seems to be that the throttle cable that connects to the Hot Foot is exposed to the elements, this allow it to get wet and freeze. I've also had it freeze when running from place to place while fishing and the only way to stop was to turn the key off, pretty exciting when you are coming up to an island.

I don't think I'll have one on the next boat, this one came with in on.

Doug Johnson

Posted 12/14/2002 1:26 PM (#53029)

I would just say if you drive at speeds above 65mph most of the time than its for you.

Posted 12/16/2002 7:53 AM (#53030)

If you have a bass boat I would say fourt things are a must; 1. Hot Foot, 2. Turn signal style trip switch on the steering column, 3. Hydraulic steering and. 4 Jackplate. 1., 2. & 3 are for safety.

With a hot foot, if you were ever bounced out of your seat even temporarily your boat would instantly be going idle rather then 65MPH straight toward another boat or shore where it is essentially a missle.

With turn signal style trim you would always have both hands on the wheel which is important in rough water or at high speed.

I have fished min in snow and rain in the 20's and not had mine freeze up yet. Mine is set back pretty far and protected by the console. I don't have too much problems getting my foot on it with Goretex Red Head boots but its not a good fit with duck boots. You can always find a way to get your toe on it if need be by resting your foot on the floor at a lazy angle.

Posted 12/16/2002 2:01 PM (#53031)

The hotfoot on my Gambler has drawbacks - sucks for trolling, you really can't stand while underway (good for safety); I hear now there is a converter kit that lets you switch off between the pedal and the shift/accel lever.

The Gambler also has trim tabs at the left foot so you can keep both hands on the wheel in rough water. I have a little trouble finding them with my shoe, though, just something I need to practice. As far as a safety feature in case you fall out, one should be using the kill switch lanyard, of course. m[:bigsmile:]

Posted 12/16/2002 10:14 PM (#53032)

Luke, two things.

1. I didn't know they had HotFoots in the 20's.

2. You have aged very well![;)]