Plastic lip modification- making longer
Johnny Boy
Posted 12/7/2012 8:41 AM (#602024)
Subject: Plastic lip modification- making longer

I was just wondering if it would be possible to take a standard musky lure with a straight plastic lip and modify it. I was thinking of doing this by making another longer lip that will fit over or under the original lip perfectly . Now if epoxied together it will be an inch or two longer. Maybe making a round lipped lure now coffin or square shaped.
This sounds like it would totally change the way the lure runs right? Maybe a little more wander? and should definitely run deeper. I was thinking this is easier than removing the original lip and modifying it .
what do you think? Has anyone tried this? Thoughts JB
Zib
Posted 12/7/2012 8:56 AM (#602034 - in reply to #602024)
Subject: RE: Plastic lip modification- making longer

I would just replace the lip. The lure will run deeper with the longer lip & have more kick in the tail. You might experience some tuning issues depending on the lure.

Fishwizard
Posted 12/7/2012 11:14 PM (#602150 - in reply to #602024)
Subject: Re: Plastic lip modification- making longer

I have rebuilt broken lips several times before. I typically take and drill into the remaining lip area in a couple symmetrically located places with a bit about the size of bucktail wire. Then make a small loop or a couple loops, a bit smaller than you're intended new lip size, and slide them into the holes you've drilled. This gives you a wire framework sticking out of the smaller lip section to support the large lip. Now build a cardboard, or similar material, form the size of the new lip you want to create with the bait upside down. Next take the strongest two-part epoxy you can find and fill the form to the same thickness as the smaller lip. Wait for it to set up fully, and then sand out the imperfections and shape it slightly to look uniform.

That is the method I've tried with success on medium sized crankbaits in the past, so I can't help you with whether it might be easier to remove the lip first, but it is possible to modify an existing lip.

Ryan
musky slut
Posted 12/10/2012 3:39 PM (#602709 - in reply to #602024)

I have done what you are talking about and glued right over the top of the lip , worked fine . With some baits though I think it will add too much weight and mess up the action .
Turkeyt
Posted 12/10/2012 8:08 PM (#602737 - in reply to #602709)

I use a Dremel tool with a cutting wheel to get to the lips. I bought a bunch of Sisson straight bills and cut a wedge and changed the angle of the bill and pinned them. Filled the space back in with a tiny wood slice and epoxied all back together. If the bills are long enough you can do them like that or cut them out and put in what you want. If you want to, just put another bill on top of the original, as mentioned in other post. Try the circuit board lips. They are strong and thin. Can pick them up at tackle making websites.
Johnny Boy
Posted 12/11/2012 7:46 AM (#602774 - in reply to #602024)

What are circuit board lips? I am not familiar with these thnx JB
Turkeyt
Posted 12/11/2012 8:30 AM (#602777 - in reply to #602774)

Johnny Boy - 12/11/2012 7:46 AM

What are circuit board lips? I am not familiar with these thnx JB

Circuit board lips are thin and tough and are about .035 thick. You can get the pre cut lips at most lure making sites. They also sell it in sheets at electronics parts sites, if you want it larger to cut your own. It's in the circuit boards on electronics and they started making crankbait bills from it. On the baits i have with this lip i feel it makes the lure have a quicker wobble than a thick lexan lip. Click on link below to show some of the lips.

http://lurepartsonline.com/s.nl/it.A/id.3503/.f
Turkeyt
Posted 12/11/2012 11:33 AM (#602792 - in reply to #602024)

cave run legend - 12/11/2012 10:50 AM

I thought lips were just glued on. I had a 6" Jake that was hit hard by a fish and was ready to fall out. I glued it back with no issues.

On the Lee Sisson cranks that have the longer bills, the eyelet is in the bill. Drilling through the lower section of the lure and through the lip and pinning them twice with a very small pin, like a small nail, keeps the lips from possibly being pulled out. This is a bass lure that is very effective on the musky lakes in eastern Ohio.
Johnny Boy
Posted 12/11/2012 11:44 AM (#602794 - in reply to #602024)

Thanks for all the help guys. I'm going to do a little lip modification on a few lures this winter thnx JB