GoPro Hero3: Black Edition
Fishwizard
Posted 11/28/2012 11:25 PM (#600191)
Subject: GoPro Hero3: Black Edition

I know there have been several discussions about the older GoPro models, but does anyone have any experience with the new GoPro Hero3 yet? This will be my first POV video cam, so I don’t know that much about them other than what I’ve read. I was looking at the Black Edition, but not sure what accessories to go with this cam and what accessories that this new version doesn’t need that the Hero2 did need, if that makes sense. I’d had the hero2 Outdoor Edition on my x-mas list because they were on sale, until I realized that the reason they were on sale is because of the newer model being out. As far as mounts for fishing go, how does the chest mount seem to work for casting? Is it high enough that your hands don’t block the shot while casting? Who prefers the head mount to the chest mount, and vice-versa? Any help or thoughts are appreciated.

Ryan
esox50
Posted 11/29/2012 10:13 AM (#600260 - in reply to #600191)
Subject: Re: GoPro Hero3: Black Edition

The Hero3 is pretty new on the market, but perhaps someone here has used one (I haven't). The upgrades to it are pretty much in the sensor (12MP stills, up to 4K video = very high def), frame rate (30 fps burst), body size (smaller, more compact), and lens (wider, less distortion). It also has a Wi-Fi remote, which can trigger the camera to take stills or video from afar. Could be cool to set-up the camera underwater and if you or your buddy has a follow quickly hit the remote to start recording the fish coming in on the 8. Tons of sites out there will give you a breakdown of the specs. If you can afford the Hero3 I would get it. If not or you're at the cusp, the Hero2 is more than capable. Really depends on what you want to do with it.

I typically have an extra battery installed and with it the larger case to house the unit (HeroHD). Plus, I have a floaty attached to the back of the housing. This set-up is pretty heavy and really too big for the head strap. I've used it without the extra battery and it's not bad, but still awkward. The chest mount is much more comfortable and you'll hardly feel it's there. The camera will sit roughly at the lower part of your sternum. It interferes with video only slightly and only if the fish or any action is at your feet. Because it's an ultra wide-angle lens anything closer to the camera will appear really big, so your arms appear prominently in the video. Personally, I would get both the chest mount and head straps just to have the ability to change camera angles/POVs. You'll want to get various attachment arms and probably handlebar mounts in case you want to attach the camera to your hand rail, net, or a pole for underwater stills/video.
Fishwizard
Posted 11/29/2012 3:19 PM (#600364 - in reply to #600191)

Thanks Sean! That's basically what I wanted to know, other than the battery life comparison to the Hero2 and how many batteries I'd need to film all day. But, with the remote I would try and rig up a foot trigger to hit once I have a follow and keep from having to film all day. I know there are plenty of fish that come out of nowhere that would be impossible to anticipate, but for something like the under set-up you're describing it would be perfect. I might have to eventually get a couple of them.

BTW, did you ever happen to get pics from your friend once he'd gotten the topwater sculpture hung on the wall? No big deal either way, but just wanted to know if he'd ever sent you any pics.

Thanks,
Ryan
SeanL
Posted 11/29/2012 3:31 PM (#600367 - in reply to #600191)
Subject: RE: GoPro Hero3: Black Edition

I haven't, but I'll shoot him an email now and see if he can take some.
Team Rhino
Posted 11/30/2012 7:45 PM (#600652 - in reply to #600191)

I just picked up a Hero 3 black last weekend. I haven't put it to use much yet. It appears that all the mounts will work with both the hero 2 and 3. I do know that if you record at 1080 on both units the hero 3 will use up your memory card faster. I would assume as with most GoPro cameras you will get less than 2 hrs per battery. The remote for wifi has a battery as well and that lasts about an hour. I would say you would need about 4 batteries and 3 memory cards with 32g memory space. I know they make some after market batteries that will hookup to the Heros put don't actually mount to the camera like the BacPacs do. I ordered one but don't have it yet. I was hoping to get some ice footage this weekend with it but I'm not brave or dumb enough to fish on 2". As for the chest mount it works pretty good and is pretty comfortable to wear but you do want to try to position it up a little if you can. It's not so much the hands in the way when casting it more when you raise your hands up after setting the hook on a fish. I'll try and post a link of a video I shot with Hero 2 chest mount on. You can see for yourself. Hope this helps.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TB5vLu805r4

Edited to add link to video