Minn Kota Mount

Posted 12/10/2002 1:29 PM (#7176)
Subject: Minn Kota Mount

I have a 14' Lund that I have a Minn Kota mounted on the rear of the boat, which is the way my dad had it. I was thinking of building a casting deck and moving the Minn Kota to the front of the boat. Is there a mount kit I can buy to do this or do I need to buy a new motor and set up, or am I just out of luck? If I'm not out of luck what do you recommend. Thanks.

Andy

P.S. Also any tips on how to build the casting deck would be appreciated as well. THanks

Posted 12/10/2002 8:13 PM (#52796)

Assuming you have a transom/clamp mount, Minn Kota makes a temporary mount which clamps to the gunnels & straps to the bow eye. However, most transom mount motors do not have enough shaft length to work on the bow. You may need a longer shaft/different motor.

What model Lund do you have? I had a deck installed in my 16' DLX (a resort-type boat)several years ago & can offer some particulars. If you are convenient to central MN, I would gladly recommend the fellow who did my work.

Posted 12/27/2002 7:13 PM (#52797)

A simple way I rig my transom mount on the front of my jon boat is : at electrical supply store bought 2 L bracket fastners (used for fastening uni-strut) with about 1/2 inch hole in each section of the L bracket.These brackets are maybe 1/8 steel and should be at least about 2inch x 2 inch long or longer. Then drilled & then bolted a peice of treated 2x4 to the bow of the boat & L bracket. The moter clamps on to the 2x4. As Cincinatti mentioned I had to go with a 42 inch long shaft on the trolling moter. Works very well & I fish some very shallow rocky, stumpy streams with a lot of dragging through shoals. Also BassPro shop sells a nice system that works well for$29.99 called a 4 way trolling moter bracket.

Posted 12/28/2002 3:32 PM (#52798)

If the shaft length is long enough for the front, loosen the screw (or bolt) that holds the head to the shaft and turn the head around and face it the other way and retighten the screw (or bolt). I did this with my sons transom mount and it works great, but we had a flat bottom boat so shaft length was not a problem. Let us know how it works out.[:)]