Minn Kota Terrova vs Power Drive V2
Posted 11/7/2012 5:28 PM (#596641)
Subject: Minn Kota Terrova vs Power Drive V2

I need to upgrade my old bow cable electric trolling motor on my 16 ft Alumacraft.
Was ready to purchase a new Minn Kota 55 lb thrust Power Drive V2 with built in transducer. However, after reading some negative reviews about the reliability of the PD V2 foot pedal, I am having second thoughts. Wondering if the Terrova would be worth the extra money for reliability. Anyone else having PD V2 foot pedal problems in rainy weather and extended use? Does the Terrova have issues to be aware of?
Jeff78
Posted 11/7/2012 5:33 PM (#596642 - in reply to #596641)
Subject: Re: Minn Kota Terrova vs Power Drive V2

No problems with my V2 pedal, rain, cold, it is always out in the open.
5th lake Brad
Posted 11/7/2012 5:50 PM (#596647 - in reply to #596641)

I went through 3 pd pedals in 2 years. Terrova had no issues the first year of abuse. I like it, and like the pedal better as well.
IM Musky Time
Posted 11/7/2012 5:51 PM (#596648 - in reply to #596641)

I had to replace my V2 pedal board twice. Good motor other than that, but it was a major inconvenience both times. I know of several that have run longer than mine without problems though.
Tigerhunter
Posted 11/7/2012 6:12 PM (#596658 - in reply to #596641)
Subject: RE: Minn Kota Terrova vs Power Drive V2

I have had a Powerdrive V2 for just over 3 years and have not had a problem with the foot pedal at all. In the spring I will have the boat docked on the water between a week and a month with no cover. I do however keep the pedal under a ledge so it won't get wet directly. I love the power steering with the foot pedal, I find it much more convenient than the other kind.

With the Powerdrive you can upgrade to co-pilot or I-pilot with 4 screws and a plug and when you have the co-pilot or I-pilot the foot pedal is taken out of the equation. You get a "key fob" like with a car that controls everything. I plan on doing this with mine eventually.

I do not have any experience with the Terrova so I cannot comment there. Hope this helps.
Sut'sgold
Posted 11/7/2012 6:57 PM (#596678 - in reply to #596658)

I too have had some issues with the pedal. I love my power drive, and by cleaning the fine sand off of our shoes before we enter the boat we have prolonged the foot pedals life.
IAJustin
Posted 11/7/2012 10:00 PM (#596725 - in reply to #596641)

4 full years on my terrova pedal - not a single issue. I fish a ton! rough estimate of 1800+ hrs on that pedal. I only use the three buttons on the bottom. (L Pulse R)
AndrewR
Posted 11/7/2012 11:48 PM (#596739 - in reply to #596641)

I've got the 55PD V2 with universal sonar. Had difficulties with it for almost every year I've had it prior to this year.

Last winter I sent in broken pedal for a new replacement, and went as far to buy a second as back-up. After some modifications to both new and spare, and after 80 days on water this year, the same original pedal I began the year with still works like new.

This is what I did: http://www.fishing-headquarters.com/fishcast/2012/06/longevity-tips...

I swear it works.

I'd go with the Terrova simply because its pedal is built better. Neither does it seem as cheaply designed as the V2 pedal... But I have observed some friends having mechanical problems with them as well but with far less frequency than the V2.

bigmckee23
Posted 11/8/2012 8:42 AM (#596779 - in reply to #596739)

Save some extra money over the winter and get the 70 lb V2 with I-Pilot. Take half a day to learn the I-Pilot remote and never worry about a Pedal again. Best decision I ever made. I have a 17ft bass tracker and having that extra power with the 70 makes my job easier throughout the day, especially when you get a nice strong wind all day. Now back to your question, the Terrova's are built a bit better. The shaft does not spin on the Terrova as it has a beveled shaft rather than a round shaft like the V2 does. That's my only complaint about my V2 and it's really not that big of a deal. The Terrova only comes in 55lb, 80lb and 101lb, so you are limited to what you can get where with the V2 you have 45lb, 50lb, 55lb, 65lb and 70lb. It really comes down to what you want for your boat, I'd recommend going higher than 55lb if you can. Plus you can probably get the 70lb V2 for a very similar price to a 55lb Terrova. Oh yea, did I mention, get the I-Pilot?
wicked
Posted 11/8/2012 8:50 AM (#596784 - in reply to #596641)

Ive had the terrova with ipilot for three full seasons on it. Never a problem with it Ive fished in rain and snow all the way till ice up. Terrova is worth every penny.
Pepper
Posted 11/8/2012 9:07 AM (#596790 - in reply to #596641)

my nephews Terrova pedal went out on him this summer. I have had one 3 years no problems. Was with a guide this summer who has had numerous problems with his terrova. If I was in the market for a new motor I would buy the Terrova again.
cocathntr
Posted 11/9/2012 8:58 PM (#597095 - in reply to #596641)

I have used my Terrova For three seasons now. I fish one or two days a week. starting the 1st of April till the First of December. No problems with mine. Knock on wood..
Mike D
Posted 12/24/2012 4:37 AM (#605042 - in reply to #597095)

3 seasons of 30+ trips a year and I hate my V2 70 lb thrust TM foot pedal. The preventive maintenance tips sound logical because the issues I have are hitting the stearing left or right and getting no response. Sounds like these small pads are worn out. So what do I do? I step on the pedal harder, which I know is making a bad situation worse. I've had this in the shop for motor issues covered by warranty but had them address the pedal as well. Pedal worked great for about 6 months and then same issues. Will never buy again or recommend this model due to the pedal. As stated, motor works great. Does Minn Kota or MK Reps read the posts on these forums? I know many manufacturers do. Best R&D info money cant buy.