fishing this time of year
Guest1
Posted 10/25/2012 9:28 PM (#593636)
Subject: fishing this time of year

I fish in Southwest wisconsin. Im not sure about this time of year. Should I fish deep water, shallow, or in between? Rocks? Weeds? Dropoffs? What do you guys think?
Junkman
Posted 10/26/2012 12:21 PM (#593744 - in reply to #593636)
Subject: RE: fishing this time of year

I was fishing alone on Wednesday in totally familiar water, dragging two suckers behind the boat, and I made the totally lazy decision to just cruise on through a totally not productive section of deeper water on the way to where I wanted to go instead of pulling in the meat, putting them in the well and then dealing with the tangle. You already know where this is going...sure enough I had a suicide strike in water at least 15 feet deeper than (us guys in the know) would have fished. I had a swing and a miss at the only other fish of the day and would have been skunked except for this really, really, nice fat fish feeding in water I would have ignored---on my lake!
milje
Posted 10/26/2012 3:02 PM (#593781 - in reply to #593636)
Subject: Re: fishing this time of year

Last weekend we boated 2 on suckers, a 46" on a break from 40 to 25 feet of water with the sucker down 15 feet, and another right by shore in a flat area, went in to get a snag out and a 35" fish grab the sucker down 6 feet in 8 feet of water.

Also had about a 42" hit a sucker right at the boat landing, were pulling in lines and that was the last rod, grabbed it and it felt heavy, set the hook but the hook was outside the fishes mouth so he didn't get hooked up, he did hold on long enough to almost get in the net then let go and grabbed the sucker 3 more times before leaving.
Violent Strike
Posted 10/28/2012 7:23 PM (#594090 - in reply to #593636)

Ive been fishing a little bit in northern wisconsin the last 2 weeks and have landed 6 muskies including one more today all the fish were caught in 3 to 5 feet of water on twitch baits and buck tails. I cant afford to buy suckers so just casting. Hope this helps.
jerryb
Posted 10/28/2012 8:19 PM (#594098 - in reply to #594090)

What does rocks or weeds have to do with catching fish? Just curious....
Beaver
Posted 10/28/2012 9:17 PM (#594108 - in reply to #594098)

Baitfish will hang around the deeper coontail that is still giving off oxygen. It usually grows deeper than the cabbage that is dying and is using up oxygen. It's the beginning of the food chain. Bigger fish eat the fish that call the weeds home, and the muskies eat them.
Rocks are also cover for small baitfish and crawfish and creepy crawlies, the beginning of the food chain again. One other thing is that the water around rocks heats up during sunny days and that water warm water will draw fall spawners to the area, again food for muskies looking to fatten up for the winter.
Back in the 'old days' when I was on the seminar trail with guys like Steve Worrall, I seriously advised guys to learn as much biology of the species that they wanted to catch. Biological knowledge is far more important than having a new rod and reel.
jerryb
Posted 10/31/2012 9:02 PM (#595097 - in reply to #594108)

Good tip Beav, thanks