biggest heartbreak while musky fishing?
toothycritter88
Posted 10/24/2012 8:40 PM (#593302)
Subject: biggest heartbreak while musky fishing?

Me and my buddy were out fishing last week and we started talking about our biggest heartbreaks that had to do with musky fishing. Tell your stories!

Mine I was out fishing for the first time last year and took two friends out that never fished before. So I bought a huge frabil net. Because I was sure they couldn't use the cradle I used to have. So I hook into a fish that was around 40-42 and when he went to net it he didn't make sure the yolk was locked into place and when he went to scoop it into the net it collapsed and hit the lure out of the fish's' mouth. Man I was peeed. I still let him hear that till this day and he hasn't been fishing since.
MuskyNate27
Posted 10/24/2012 8:55 PM (#593307 - in reply to #593302)
Subject: Re: biggest heartbreak while musky fishing?

Pounds or inches?
toothycritter88
Posted 10/24/2012 9:11 PM (#593309 - in reply to #593307)

Inches. Knock on wood I've never lost a fish on the side of the boat. So it sucked.
Lungemadness
Posted 10/24/2012 9:16 PM (#593311 - in reply to #593302)

Today... when i had to leave the water to go to work.
Propster
Posted 10/24/2012 9:27 PM (#593315 - in reply to #593302)

Watching my kid lose 3 giants over 3 years, the biggest being in that 56" class. Hooked them out on the cast and played them well, but it weren't meant to be. The biggest one he sat down and was nearly in tears. I convinced him to get back in the saddle after about half an hour and on the second cast a mere 4 footer hit in the 8 and came unpinned after 10 seconds. He said that's it for tonight.
mm3
Posted 10/24/2012 9:28 PM (#593316 - in reply to #593311)

I can't imagine a muskie fisherman without a heartbreaking story. We're like country and western songs in that regard.
Posted 10/24/2012 9:37 PM (#593322 - in reply to #593302)
Subject: RE: biggest heartbreak while musky fishing?

biggest heart break while musky fishing was a follow by a MONSTER PIKE. a pike that still haunts me to this day. my bigger pike boated is a 45" and biggest musky is 51" and the pike i seen was much bigger or scary big as i say. it swam along my boat no more then 6" under water then slowly turned and went into deeper water. i had a very good look at it for some time. 7 years have passed and i still dream of that fish.
milje
Posted 10/24/2012 9:38 PM (#593323 - in reply to #593302)

I watched the fish of a lifetime come up from below, take a swipe at my Giant Jackpot, set the hook and nothing there, pulled the lure out of her mouth. Off she went. High 30's maybe 40 pound fish.
scot
Posted 10/24/2012 10:04 PM (#593332 - in reply to #593302)

I was out fishing the Fox Chain a couple months ago with my brother. It was a warm rainy morning, about 20 minutes in I hook a mid 30's on a top raider. Fight the fish to the boat then "Bink" she comes unpined. Long hartbreak short.. I ended up hooking,fighting and loseing 3 more fish (all on the top raider) in the upper 30's in a 2-3hour period..Oh And had one blow up and never get hooks.
BenR
Posted 10/24/2012 10:14 PM (#593334 - in reply to #593302)

I dropped a 10K fish back into the water during a tournament. BR
Sorgy
Posted 10/24/2012 10:18 PM (#593335 - in reply to #593332)

Biggest heartbreak?
Must have been late October 1996 on Vermilion- First true 50+ fish I had encounterd on the lake.
Fishin a small community spot near my place I had a small follow on a little Rapala super shad- found it washed up on the beach 30 minutes earlier. No sharp hooks, crappy silver hooks,- fish hits 20 feet from the boat and rises up broadside just under the calm surface- I remember details very clear to this day- Massive head shakes- gills flared and mouth wide open with my bait stuck to the side of her face- no hooks in the jaw or mouth. buddy screaming "its enormous" spelling????
I hit freespool and let her run- with light pressure she started to tire- she turned back towards the boat and I got overzealous- she came a ways towards the boat and then put on the brakes. I felt the headshake and then nothing--- My knees buckled, stomach tighened up and I almost puked.
Funny thing trolling 20 minuets later friend gets hung up and I stand up and I have a flashback and my knees buckled again. I am guessing 52.5 with a nice girth

Good Luck

Steve
Pointerpride102
Posted 10/24/2012 10:53 PM (#593342 - in reply to #593302)

My buddy launching my musky snax bait to the bottom of Mud Bay on Pelican.
Really
Posted 10/24/2012 10:54 PM (#593343 - in reply to #593302)

Losing a low 40s fish is a heartbreak....c'mon man. No wonder the guy doesn't want to fish if you still go off about it.

BenR that is funny. If you were my partner you would have swam back to the launch. Only a Sally would drop a fish in a tournament. I don't care what that fish is doing, you hang onto it. Maybe Homer can show you how to hang onto a fish.

My two rubles
esoxaddict
Posted 10/24/2012 10:57 PM (#593344 - in reply to #593302)

I have lost 8 fish that were close to or over 50"

First one was completely my fault - she ate as I came around the outside of my first oval, arms outstreched, fish caught up to the bait and ate it. All I would have had to do was set the hook. Since I was pulling lure lure forward, and didn't feel anything I just kept going, took the lure right out of her mouth. I couldn't see because of the glare, so it wouldn't be so bad except that they guy in the back of the boat saw the whole thing and yelled "you got her!". That means set the hook you dumb nice try.

#2 came up on a Shumway flasher. Nipped at the bait. As she swam by I could see feathers and tinsel hanging out of her yap. Never got hooks. Nothing I could have done there.

#3 ate out on a cast on a sunny day in 2 feet of water. I set the hook hard enough to turn her sideways, so we all got a good look at her. Came up empty. Hooks were sharp. What are you gonna do?

#4 just nipped at the back of the bait right in front of me. Set the hook. Had the fish on for half a second. Spent the night back at the cabin cutting the hair off the back of all my double 10's. Should have learned that lesson on #2.

#5 was a fish we estimated to be about 54". Had her up 13 different times over several days. Closest I was able to come was her swimming behind a Weagle, bumping it with her mouth closed. For most of a cast. On the last day of the trip, she came roaring in hot. As I went into my first turn we heard this *CLUNK*... felt it in my feet. Not sure if she missed the bait and whacked into the trolling motor, or of she actually tried to eat the trolling motor, but that was it for that fish. Moatsy got a 54" off that spot a few days later. Same fish? Who knows.

#6 was not entirely my fault. This was a jumbo. Wide as my boots. Biggest fish I have ever seen, comin to eat. Charged the bait going into the first turn. Holy crap, she's gonna eat. When Samantha saw the fish in front or her she yelled and pointed at it and started jumping up and down. Literally jumping up and down. I never knew muskies could swim that fast. Nothing left but a cloud of poop in the water. I never thought to tell her that it IS possible to scare the fish away. Biggest fish I have seen on Eagle in 6 years of fishing it. I can't blame her, she didn't know.

#7 ate about 30 feet out. Gave her the berries. #*^@ fish swam right at me shaking her head the whole way. Despite my best efforts at trying to reel like an idiot, I was never able to catch up to her. Lesson: Low gear ratio reels do have drawbacks. We got a good look at her about 1/2 hour later when she rolled on a dawg. Might not have been 50, but it was one of the fattest fish I've ever seen. And tall.

Which brings me to #8... West Arm fish. Came up a few times. We figured 49-51. Ate right underneath me, made a good run. Fought her all the way back to the boat. And the #*^@ fish just laid there, facing away from me, just far enough away to be out of reach with the net. Without being able to see where she was hooked I figured it would be best not to horse the fish, and just try to turn her slowly so we could get a net in front of her. She had just enough left to make one more run, which was enough.

You can't keep 'em all pinned. I deserved to lose the ones I f-ed up. But #6 haunts me, and will until I see a bigger one.
esoxaddict
Posted 10/24/2012 11:02 PM (#593348 - in reply to #593334)

BenR - 10/24/2012 10:14 PM

I dropped a 10K fish back into the water during a tournament. BR

We have a winner.... Or should I say loser? None of the fish I lost have ever kept me awake at night, but that sure would!

Fishwizard
Posted 10/24/2012 11:33 PM (#593351 - in reply to #593302)

Thanks a lot for posting a thread like this and making me think about both of them again. Yep, great memories.

Ryan
Hunter4
Posted 10/25/2012 12:30 AM (#593358 - in reply to #593302)

I can't even talk about it. Let just say The Larry in November with a poor net man. Nothing like getting your butt kicked by a 45 year old asmatic orthodontist with a severe case of gout. And one very large fish.

Edited by Hunter4 10/25/2012 12:31 AM
toothycritter88
Posted 10/25/2012 5:27 AM (#593367 - in reply to #593343)

Really - 10/24/2012 10:54 PM

Losing a low 40s fish is a heartbreak....c'mon man. No wonder the guy doesn't want to fish if you still go off about it.

BenR that is funny. If you were my partner you would have swam back to the launch. Only a Sally would drop a fish in a tournament. I don't care what that fish is doing, you hang onto it. Maybe Homer can show you how
My two rubles[/QUOT

Well thanks for your sarcastic comment d-bag. First of I fish highly pressured water and second I only get out once a month if that so ill take anyone I get. And third its joking around with him, he's one.of my best friends. But your a-holeishness is noted.

Edited by toothycritter88 10/25/2012 5:30 AM
Junkman
Posted 10/25/2012 7:26 AM (#593377 - in reply to #593367)

I still get angry over this...but I have learned! My beloved Pewaukee Lake is great water, often a big numbers lake, but when the truth is told...there are 2-4 legit 50's out of there per entire year and that's it. My heartbreak came on a day when NOBODY and I mean NOBODY was catching a fish. Like a lot of my bassin buddies do when that happens, I downsized. Very small 20 lb floro leader and 20 lb floro to single treble on sucker. Then it happened! A savage strike by a giant that was clearly visible well over 50 now totally still in the water in perfect positon for a homerun of a hookset. I took a big swing at her, felt the weight of a fish of a lifetime for Pewaukee, and then the snap on the leader broke cleanly off and almost hit me in the eye. I know the fish was 53 because she was taken the next day in the same spot and verified at Smokey's. I kept the busted snap on my desk for an entire year and cussed at it every morning when I came to work. The good news is that I know that fish was properly released and I will not make the same mistake again!
muskieDon
Posted 10/25/2012 7:43 AM (#593381 - in reply to #593377)

Hey Martys , What' yer biggest at Pewaukee compared to personal best ?
FAT-SKI
Posted 10/25/2012 7:57 AM (#593386 - in reply to #593302)

Last year on opener I was on a Metro MN lake. Had my brother with and we were going to go to one of my favorite spots.

Get the boat ready and start driving. About 700 Yrds from the spot my motor started smoking a ridiculous amount of white and black smoke. About 200 yrds from the spot the motor completely died and sit dead in the water. Tried everything I could think of to get her started... And nothing. Put the trolling motor in and nothing.. Asked my brother what happened (he took the boat a few days earlier to fish crappie with some of his buddies) He told me, My bad, I forgot to charge the battery. (my old boat would not let it hold a charge). OK, so assessment, dead boat, dead battery.. Yet still on the water. Can still be a good day RIGHT???

At this point I was determined to get to my spot. There were some normal to medium winds i'd say about 15mph or so. I took one paddle and gave my brother the other we started rowing. called one of my buddies to come and tow me off the lake. Said that he would but it was going to be a few hours before he was there, as he was at work. ...OK, no worries I am just going to fish and try to stay calm... After about 45 minutes of rowing we get to the spot and I drop anchor (no trolling motor, no big motor) I put on my lucky bull dawg(first musky lure I ever bought), and start casting. As I was casting I was pretty upset and trying to stay calm, but it wasn't really working. After a short period of casting I completely stopped doing a figure 8.

Still casting and I am starting to get inside of my own head, now I am cussing out loud almost every few seconds or so, Bring the dawg to the boat on a straight retrieve (peed as all heck) and stop the lure (no figure 8) right next to the boat... I look down and sitting there, looking at my lure is the Largest Tiger I have ever seen. Tried to go into the 8 and she swam away. Sent a quick cast right back at her and BOOM! she killed it, faught her for a few minutes and got her to the boat. "this day may not be so bad after all" I thought. As I got her to the boat, brother missed the net and she flew under the boat towards my motor and all of the sudden... SNAP! and I felt nothing, except for my heat stop, then anger set it. Reeled in the slack line to find that she wrapped her self around my prop and all it took was one solid head shake and she was gone. I just put the rod down and started chain smoking cigarettes. My brother and I just looked at each other in despair until my buddy got there to tow us home.

Recap, broken big motor (10K in repairs, of which I still haven't done), no trolling motor, lost favorite lucky bull dawg and the Tiger of a lifetime. Inches? IDK I guess I would say low to mid 40s but FAT!!!

When we got back to the launch my buddy asked If I wanted to go on his boat. I just remember looking at him, and very softly say "I'm done man, I'm going home".

Thank goodness for my little old duck boat which has turned into my musky boat for now until I upgrade and get a new one...

Edited by FAT-SKI 10/25/2012 8:02 AM
The Swan
Posted 10/25/2012 10:17 AM (#593419 - in reply to #593302)

My first big fish--by my standards--blowing out my knot at the side of the boat near the end of my second season with a boat. A hard lesson to learn; and I expect many have learned it: don't use a basic clinch knot. I had just retied twenty minutes before. When that happens, you sit there stunned and wonder just how powerful these fish are.
Moltisanti
Posted 10/25/2012 10:25 AM (#593420 - in reply to #593302)

Boat problems trump all fishing related heartbreak in my book. Three friends and I made a trip to West Battle this year. I was all jacked up since I hadn't made a single cast in over a month. Of course we get the weekend that it blows 40mph constantly...I mean serious wind. Worst sustained wind I've ever seen, in fact, a boat capsized on Winnie and killed two people.

We get on the water and determine immediately that there is no way four guys can cast in these swells. So we decide to troll and not two minutes in my two friends that have no experience at all manage to get their cowgirl and supermodel spun together in a knot that Houdini wouldn't take on. I have my other friend run the tiller while I cut the lines out, trying to keep my calm. Just as I get them freed and start re-tying, one of the rods gets nailed. Jeff was first up, so I told the guy running the boat (my hands were full) to grab the rod out of the holder and hand it to Jeff. Not sure what to do, he lets go of the tiller handle and stands up to do this and the boat spins a complete circle.

Anyway, long story short, every line ends up wrapped around the tiller, fish gets off, and I have to trim up the big now to get the lines out of the prop. It takes no time to realize that we are FLYING towards the shore. I start cutting as fast as possible and lost my race against time...beached the god#*^@ boat sideways in four footers.

Two guys get out and push the back end so I can try to get us backed out. It worked, but I sucked up what I thought was about 6 tons of sand. No water coming out. We decide to head back to the cabin. Of course, I had no earmuffs, they have no air hose at the cabin...no way to flush it out. Put it back in the water on the leeward side of the lake...no water coming out at all. We can't risk running it with a blown water pump or impeller. The entire trip was a bust and we weren't out 30 minutes.

I found out when I got home that there wasn't much sand in there at all. There was one perfectly sized pebble lodged in the "pee" tube. Fixed it in about 18 seconds.

jboecker
Posted 10/25/2012 10:28 AM (#593421 - in reply to #593386)

#1: Cold fall day on the Chip and it's snowing side-ways. My brother and I are the only idiots out there. Casting a bumble-bee Suick when the largest fish I had ever seen to that point just rolls right over the top of it. Never touched the lure, didn't follow it up that I could see, and didn't harm a single fin on the suckers we had down either. Just gone. That was 20 years ago and I still think about it all the time.

#2: Staying at a resort on LOTW and my brother has a nice mid-40's fish come up on his favorite black Suick. Goes into the 8 for a few seconds and then just fades away. Back at the resort sharing a few beers with other guests my brother gets to talking to a old-timer who has a map marked over years and years of fishing that area. My brother points out the spot, unmarked on this guys map, and tells the tale. We race back to the spot at dusk and this guy is camped out on it and is fighting a good-sized fish. Shame on us for flapping our gums, but really?! All that water to fish and he has to do that? As we watched the fight his buddy completely blows the net-job and he loses the fish. They have to motor right by us to get out of the area and we might have given him the Bronx cheer on the way out. Lesson learned though, I guess.
erico
Posted 10/25/2012 10:37 AM (#593423 - in reply to #593421)

I've got a pic of mine.....

My story starts during my introduction into muskie fishing from my now wife. She was born and raised in Hayward, and after a few years of dating, she figured I had the right stuff to be a muskie fisherman. Anyways, it was July of 1994, fishing the Phipps Flowage north of Hayward. I was casting yellow bucktail I picked up on the way to her place, trying not to get another backlash and pretending I knew what I was doing. Beginners luck struck and so did the muskie, somewhere in the upper 40" range. Chaos insued as it was the largest 'ski the wife had seen hooked on "her" river. She grabbed the net and in the excitement took a stab at the fish as it made a pass by the boat, and half the fish was in, but the bucktails hooks were caught in a non-coated net and a good head shake and my first muskie was history.

Here's a cool picture of the fish seconds before the premature release occured. You can see the yellow bucktail just inside the hoop.

Zoom - | Zoom 100% | Zoom + | Expand / Contract | Open New window
Click to expand / contract the width of this image
(theonethatgotaway.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments theonethatgotaway.jpg (190KB - 143 downloads)
Sam Ubl
Posted 10/25/2012 10:48 AM (#593425 - in reply to #593302)

This reminds me all too much of the Bob Mehsikomer GIANT he lost boatside on his jackpot!! That things was beastly!!!

Edited by Sam Ubl 10/25/2012 10:49 AM
Posted 10/25/2012 1:06 PM (#593482 - in reply to #593302)

The wife and I were up at our cabin on Vermilion about 10 years ago prior to the word getting out about the lake. It was blowing pretty good, so she decided to stay at the cabin and I took out an 18' classic Lund with a 25hp tiller to do some musky fishing. I fished for 5-6 hours with nothing to show for my efforts. I was close to getting back to the cabin and decided to make a few casts with the bass rod, so that at least I wouldn't be skunked. Of course you see where this is going, about 4 casts in she hits and immediately comes flying out of the water giving me a good show. I've got 20lb powerpro tied directly to a 4" swimbait, so I immediately come to grips with the fact that there is no way I am landing this fish. As I mentioned it is blowing pretty good and right into the shoreline I am fishing, so I've got this fish hooked, but in addition to trying to get her closer for a better look I am trying like mad to keep the boat off of the rocks. This is a tiller with no trolling motor, so I am standing in the back steering with my leg using my free hand to try and control the speed and FWD/REV and when possible I would get a couple of cranks on the reel. I eventually get her up to the boat and all I see is the line coming out the corner of her mouth. She is pretty played out at this point and at a couple of points she is just laying next to the boat. Of course I forgot the net and I am still trying to keep the boat off of the rocks, so there is no way I am going to be able to let go of the tiller to use both hands to try and hand land her. At this point I am about 10 yards from our dock, so I thought my only play here is to call my wife and have her bring down the net and throw it into the boat so that I can use it to land the fish. As I was going for my phone she made a run and I felt a couple of head shakes and she cut me off. That fish still haunts my dreams. I got a real good look at her as she was laying next to boat and I estimated her at 52" and about 3 weeks later my father-in-law caught a 52 3/4" about 50 yards down the shoreline which I am guessing was the same fish.
black_dawg
Posted 10/25/2012 1:06 PM (#593483 - in reply to #593302)

I hooked what would have been my personal best (high 40's) on a sucker. I had one hook in the skin on the side of the jaw. When my girlfriend extended the net, she didn't get the lock pin into the hole. When she went to scoop the fish, the hoop slid right off the pole, with the fish only half way in the net. I dropped my rod and made a mad grab for the hoop. I ended up with my knees in the boat. My Arms, head, and shoulders underwater. The second hook on the quickset, got caught in the netting, the fish shook free, and slapped me in the face on her way out of the net. I have since replaced the Girlfriend. The new one performed two perfect net jobs, on fish that hit boat side, within an hour of each other. So I'm making her the permanent net girl this November!
Musky Brian
Posted 10/25/2012 2:03 PM (#593505 - in reply to #593302)

Ahh, one of my not so favorite stories. More then several years back I caught a giant on a Canada trip in September fishing with someone I had just met...Very quick fight, 10 seconds or so, a fish I estimate at 53"ish, probably 54" with massive fall girth on a lake system known for kicking out giants, 45# caliber fish....

The first gem after I let out a yell..." settle down! haven't you ever caught a Musky before!" ( this coming from a guy who had probably caught 20 in his life with a PB of 44" if he was lucky)

As I looked for the release and measurement tools in a boat that was foreign to me I was prompted to " hurry up! before you kill this fish!" ( yeah..a GREEN fish sitting in the water for 20 seconds in 55 degree fall water is surely ready to croak at any second...)

All of a sudden I hear a few splashes..." the fish is gone"...what?!?! Yeah, guy had done a repair to holes in the net and tied it together with fishing line. Somehow a fish of that size was able to squirm right through. He put up no resistance whatsoever and let it swim away. Upon arrival at camp I was told of the repair job and offered to bring my net instead. " No, I got it all fixed, net is rock solid" So no picture, no memories of a fish I have never topped since and may never top again...

Tough pill to swallow for someone like me who loves looking back at photos of fish caught, but I never said a word and let it go. At least she swam away and was ready to be caught again by someone else when even bigger...All fine and dandy until later in the week when I blew a net job on his 37" little snake of a Musky, which I was then greeted with swears and lectured for an hour about proper net techniques...

netman
Posted 10/25/2012 3:28 PM (#593539 - in reply to #593302)

takes two to mess up a net job - OP if you're not gonna talk about it with your buddy beforehand and give him clear direction when the fish is boatside, it's probably more your fault than his! anything said after a blown netjob is better said before a cast is made, but at least it was a small fish.

was fishing out of a small boat and netted my buddies PB a few years ago 49-50". at one point after unhooking we both leaned over the side at once, hoop dipped down to the surface and fish was gone before we could measure or take a pic. he took it like a champ though, no yelling or berating, just a little bummed.

Kirby Budrow
Posted 10/25/2012 4:29 PM (#593563 - in reply to #593302)

After losing what would have been my first 50 at boatside, I got ran into by another boater (you know who you are). Lost a couple nice ones that day actually so yeah, that was a heart breaker.
esox99
Posted 10/25/2012 4:29 PM (#593564 - in reply to #593302)

What a great question. I have 3 that are still burned in my memory bank; each would have been the angler's personal best.
1. July 2007 - novice angler joins us on LOTW. The first muskie she ever hooked was the largest muskie I have ever seen on LOTW. It T-boned a 29-inch pike 3 times; never got the hooks but almost got netted. Definitely an upper 50-inch whale.
2. July 2009 - Lac Seul. The only real super-tanker I've ever had smash a bait. Hit my glide bait full speed from the side. My son and I both got a full-length view; may have been bigger than the LOTW whale mentioned above.
3. August 2012 - our last night on LOTW. My son hooked what was probably his PB (probably over 50") right at dark at boatside. We were on a reef and the fish had no place to go but up; exciting show but too short and no photos
- Kevin
Flambeauski
Posted 10/25/2012 4:58 PM (#593572 - in reply to #593505)

Musky Brian - 10/25/2012 2:03 PM

Ahh, one of my not so favorite stories. More then several years back I caught a giant on a Canada trip in September fishing with someone I had just met...Very quick fight, 10 seconds or so, a fish I estimate at 53"ish, probably 54" with massive fall girth on a lake system known for kicking out giants, 45# caliber fish....

The first gem after I let out a yell..." settle down! haven't you ever caught a Musky before!" ( this coming from a guy who had probably caught 20 in his life with a PB of 44" if he was lucky)

As I looked for the release and measurement tools in a boat that was foreign to me I was prompted to " hurry up! before you kill this fish!" ( yeah..a GREEN fish sitting in the water for 20 seconds in 55 degree fall water is surely ready to croak at any second...)

All of a sudden I hear a few splashes..." the fish is gone"...what?!?! Yeah, guy had done a repair to holes in the net and tied it together with fishing line. Somehow a fish of that size was able to squirm right through. He put up no resistance whatsoever and let it swim away. Upon arrival at camp I was told of the repair job and offered to bring my net instead. " No, I got it all fixed, net is rock solid" So no picture, no memories of a fish I have never topped since and may never top again...

Tough pill to swallow for someone like me who loves looking back at photos of fish caught, but I never said a word and let it go. At least she swam away and was ready to be caught again by someone else when even bigger...All fine and dandy until later in the week when I blew a net job on his 37" little snake of a Musky, which I was then greeted with swears and lectured for an hour about proper net techniques...

Sounds like an episode of "Simply Fishing"
smallmouth/musky
Posted 10/25/2012 5:48 PM (#593587 - in reply to #593302)

Not being able to hit the water with my dad.
bturg
Posted 10/25/2012 9:00 PM (#593631 - in reply to #593302)

My Top four in no real order...

1. 1996, Lost what would have been my first 50" plus fish...lightly hooked on a Phantom it Made a few "Jaws" like passes down the side of the boat before shaking off. Plenty caught since then but every second of that encounter is burned into my internal hard drive.

2. PMTT on local waters, tough bite maybe ten fish caught for 135 teams on day one, Day two we move a giant (53-54) on a shallow flat and decide to give it a bit of time to re-set before trying her again, I catch a 43.5 on the deep edge while giving her a break....now we are really in the hunt ! We go back on her and she come's out of nowhere to grab the lure as it is coming out of the water after the eight...one hook barely in her beak, her momentum takes her right under the boat doubling over the rod...three seconds and she is off. A 41 and a 50 win the event and about 17K (Troy and Treats) we get $400 for tenth. I kickname the spot "Heartbreak Point". That one still hurts...not so much for the money but the victory lost. The name stuck though.

That one hurt for a while, I moved the fish another 15-20 times that fall but never got a hook in her again.

3. When anyone in the boat loose's any decent fish while filming...the stakes are simply higher and the fish more significant.

4. Any time I have clients in the boat and we fail to connect on fish despite my best efforts... the hardest thing there is about guiding period.
Posted 10/25/2012 10:44 PM (#593655 - in reply to #593302)

BenR's fish was also a potential IL state record at the time. Double heartbreak.
BenR
Posted 10/26/2012 7:13 AM (#593681 - in reply to #593655)

Guest - 10/25/2012 10:44 PM

BenR's fish was also a potential IL state record at the time. Double heartbreak.

Thanks for the reminder:-) At the time it was unfortunate, but it is just a funny story now. BR
heartbroken
Posted 10/26/2012 7:22 AM (#593682 - in reply to #593302)

My girlfriend broke up with me via text message and said I musky fish too much! : )
smallmouth/musky
Posted 10/26/2012 7:36 AM (#593684 - in reply to #593682)

heartbroken - 10/26/2012 7:22 AM

My girlfriend broke up with me via text message and said I musky fish too much! : )

LOL
Little Dave
Posted 10/26/2012 8:07 AM (#593691 - in reply to #593302)

I would like to say thank for starting this thread and to everyone sharing there story. I have been in dumps all week over what happened last sunday.

First the other heart breaks:
1.) Had a 52-53 throw a bait 15 feet from the boat
2.) After casting all day and having to listen to my brother-in-law tell me about allof the different muskie theories he has ever read and that I should not have thrown the same bait all day I had a huge fish at the end of the cast. The fiah hit so hard I lost my grip and did not get a good hookset. The next weekend my buddies friend boated a 52.75 on that spot.
3.) Now for sunday. We traveled a long way to sucker fish a lake that dreams come true. I had Scuba Mike ( a fat 20 inch sucker) out 3 feet below a bobber 25 feet behind the boat. He was doing a great job staying out of the weeds when two hours into the day he started going crazy. I said Mike is about to get eaten. A few seconds later there was huge swirl and the bobber went down and took off. We swung the boat around quickly and got close. When all of a sudden the bobber comes up 10 feet from the boat. Under the boober was a true gaint. 55 + inch fish had inhaled Mike. The fish quickly started to head down and to the left. I swang as hard as I could back right and SNAP! The fish bit through BOTH 7 strain wire hook leads. I checked the rig before I put it out and there were no issue wish it. I hope she was able to throw the hooks...

Thanks
NateOz
Posted 10/26/2012 8:50 AM (#593699 - in reply to #593691)

I've got a few....

The biggest fish I have ever hooked and lost was on my first trip to MN. My buddy and I were nearing the end of day 2 of an 8 day trip. I caught a 51 1/2" on a swimbait and while I was releasing it my partner started casting again. On his first cast he raised the largest musky I have ever seen. My fish still hadn't completely swam away so we got to compare the 2...my 51 1/2" looked little. I would guess 54+ with alot of girth. We hit that spot several times a day for the next few days and on the 3rd day she ate the same swimbait. The fish completely inhaled the bait but everytime she came up and headshook I saw the bait swinging around inside her mouth. I told my partner as soon as she got close we were going to take her...she threw the bait and we never got that chance.

The most valuable fish lost was during the 2009 Hodag. My partner caught a 36 for our first fish and shortly after was hooked up again with a nicer fish. It was a 43-44 and really took the mag dawg deep. The fish made the mistake of swimming too close to the boat about 10 seconds after he hooked it and I scooped her. I grabbed my tools and start performing surgery on the fish in the bag...she was really green and only a little of the mag dawg's tail was visible. I start cutting hooks by going in through the gill...I was completely intent on saving the fish and wasn't paying attention to much else. The net hoop started dipping close to the water...I cut the last hook...and the fish thrashed/jumped and was gone. We were both a little shocked but stuff happens so oh well. We fished hard for the rest of the day but didn't hook up again. We knew that several teams had better doubles so we would've needed a great day 2 for the win. Neither of us cared about anything but 1st place and the $20,000 that came with it so we decided we wouldn't get too angry about it unless we ended up catching 2 the next day. So day 2 rolls around and I catch a 34 and 35. We would have taken 1st with the 4 fish and won $20,000.
Muskyfisher
Posted 10/26/2012 7:21 PM (#593807 - in reply to #593302)

My first heart break was watching what would have been my first 50 swim out the end of the craddle the person i was fishing didnt get the craddle down in the water enough and hung the bait on the side two head shakes and she swam right out the other end. My worst one was casting a spinner bait had the biggest fish i ever seen nailed it 15 feet from the boat i poured the coals to her and the hook snapped clean off all i could do was watch her swim away still haunts me till this day when i fish that spot.
esoxaddict
Posted 10/26/2012 10:37 PM (#593835 - in reply to #593682)

Things you should have said:

"You know... I told myself I was gonna dump you the next time you complained about me fishing too much. But I let it go. A bunch of times. But now that you mention it, I think we ought to- Ooop, there's one! I got a fish, can't talk. Nice knowin 'ya!" *click*

Or:

"My other girlfriend doesn't complain about it. Oh crap, she's got a fish. I gotta go!"

Edited by esoxaddict 10/26/2012 10:39 PM
Muskymagnet
Posted 10/27/2012 7:17 AM (#593852 - in reply to #593302)

About 3 years ago on Vermilion, I lost 3 giant fish all over 50, with the largest being about 55. Ruined my trip!
woodieb8
Posted 10/27/2012 8:19 AM (#593855 - in reply to #593302)

was fishing detroit river early 1960,s. old guy comes down says theres a monster musky in that spot. hour later she hit. can you imagine she spooled me from shore. a closed face spinning reel 10lb test. i watched the line disapearing on the surface slowly sinking.. been trying ever since
Steve Van Lieshout
Posted 10/27/2012 8:26 AM (#593856 - in reply to #593302)

Two nights in a row the biggest muskie that I have ever seen alive, easily in the middle 50" range, came vertical following a prototype Slammer Jerkbait rising at the boat side. I could see the mouth open following the bait up. The mouth slammed shut barely missing the bait which continued to rise as the fish turned and agonizingly slowly returned to the depths. 5 minutes of figure 8's did nothing.
I will see that fish in my mind for the rest of my life!

Edited by Steve Van Lieshout 10/27/2012 8:27 AM
ToddM
Posted 10/27/2012 9:33 AM (#593867 - in reply to #593302)

one of my biggest ones came this past august. My 92 year old grandfather hooked into a fish that was about 52". I do his casting for him and he uses bass lures, rod and reel. He hooks up and the fish takes off. I chase it down and the fish makes a run around my outboard and proceeds to goto open water. I unwrapped the line still there and chase itdown again. Never seen a fish fight like this one. Was very windy. If it wanted a rest it would run upwind and surface. If it wanted to fight it would dive and towards my trolling motor. I was constantly trying to keep the line from getting in my prop. When the fish did get near the boat it never gave me its head. Once I tried to scoop tail first it shot like a rocket. Finally I was facing down wind and it made yet another run at my motor. Again shut it off but the line wrapped on the shaft and immediately made a long run upwind. When I grabbed the line it made another burst and the line broke. 20 minute battle. I felt horrible and was emotionally spent. My grandfather asked if he did anything wrong and he did not. I was just sick. We went in after that. Luckily the fish was not hooked in a bad way.

Edited by ToddM 10/27/2012 9:37 AM
marauder
Posted 10/28/2012 12:10 AM (#593976 - in reply to #593302)

A buddy of mine and I spent a summer camping and fishing the summer of 1984. Living on hot dogs beans and Old Style beer. We camped on Darrows island Chippewa Flowage. We had camped for two weeks, near the end of our trip to return home get our unemployment checks and try it again. Early in our trip I lost a nice fish on Popple islad ,drag too loose. Tighten it down . At dusk on the evening of August 30th casting a hawg wobbler , 3 feet of water a absolute behemoth of a fish crushes my lure 10 feet from the boat. I was using a pool cue Ugly stick rod, 30 lb mono , seconds and a few unintelligable words later as a supertanker has my lure sideways buried in his maw thrashing sideways out of the water. Later i found my rod tip broken and bruises on my fingers. Bill shirriff landed a 30 lber that night if my memory serves correct.
muskie24/7
Posted 10/28/2012 5:12 AM (#593981 - in reply to #593682)

heartbroken - 10/26/2012 8:22 AM

She was only holding you back! LOL Slime time baby!
cast4musky
Posted 10/28/2012 8:28 AM (#593993 - in reply to #593302)

My biggest Heart break:
I set the alarm a little earlier than normal one Saturday Morning I usually leave the house at 4 AM sharp, but I had to make sure I had all my heavier foul weather gear with me and not left behind in my Garage. It was a Cold Nasty morning. I got all my gear poured my coffee and filled my thermos and left to get my fishing partner Bob who only lives 5 minutes away. I picked him up and we drove to the lake and on the way it was pouring all the way with very high winds and a lot of flooded roads on the way. Well on one of the detour side road I was forced to take I got a #*^@ flat. After a half hour of rain and mud all over me I finally got my spare tire on the truck but we were soaked,and it was getting colder and raining even harder. We looked at each other and we both agreed let's go home this is just not worth it. I dropped bob off and went home, I was cold and soaked, took off all my wet clothes, got cleaned and dried off and hopped back into bed. I leaned over and kissed my wife's neck and whispered its like a freaking Hurricane out there. And she mumbled would you believe my stupid ass husband is fishing in this weather? That was a real heartbreak of a trip.......... Mike Sr.
ManitouDan
Posted 10/28/2012 12:29 PM (#594018 - in reply to #593302)

mine is a family heartbreak story from approx 1988 . My uncle had an above 50 pound fish in the net and the aluminum handle folded and broke when they attempted to lift the fish in the boat . a 48 pounder was caught the same day and our crew ( my brother was with my uncle ) said this fish was far far above that fish in girth . and maybe longer.... that fish could have been a top twenty ever type fish .

Edited by ManitouDan 10/28/2012 12:32 PM
ManitouDan
Posted 10/28/2012 12:38 PM (#594019 - in reply to #593302)

personally I lost a fall fattie on the Manitou that I'd guess 52-53 inches , hit on the 8 , solid hook set , but after 1-2 head shakes she was free , with the girth of manitou fish in the fall I'm sure it was 40 pounder ... 5 min later boated a 50 on the same lure on the 8 . But man i wish I had nailed the first one .
thrax_johnson
Posted 10/28/2012 12:54 PM (#594023 - in reply to #593993)

Wow, now thats a #*#*ty day for sure! Did you obviously get a divorce Cast4Musky?

Edited by thrax_johnson 10/28/2012 12:56 PM
Beaver
Posted 10/28/2012 9:56 PM (#594110 - in reply to #594023)

The day I cast one of my 10" Perkas into an inside weed turn while my boat sat in 30' of water. Twitch-Twitch-Pause.....Twitch-Twitch-Pause.................Twitch, and the lure makes a long glide and hangs in the water column quivering when a mid-50" fish comes straight up like a missile launched from a sub and inhales the lure side-ways. I set the hook so hard that my feet left the deck, NOT normal for me, but in doing so, the line which was all the way to the side of the spool, buried itself all the way to the metal! No line coming in, and no line going out. She wallowed on the surface and then made like a Tarpon wallowing along the surface right at the boat. I got on my knees and was leaning over the side of the boat as she spent the next 15 seconds fighting right at the corner of the transome. Had I had a partner, the story would be over, but alas. She did an about face and went into a power diver while I feverishly tried to get the line "unburied", but it was fruitless. I just hung on, afraid the rod,line or lure would snap. As I watched her shaking her head with her huge mouth wide open, I saw my 10" lure planted sideways inside her gaping mouth. First one hook ripped free, then another, then as if nothing had ever happened, she swam slowly toward the boat and the final hook came free. Unhooked, she shook violently one more time and swam away slowly. I knelt there watching her, still unable to reel in any line or let any line out. I stayed in that position for 15 minutes or so, shaking my head in awe. I finally cut the line, pulled my lure in by hand and threw the whole rig on the bottom of the boat and headed in. Once at the dock, I took the reel off of the rod and cut the line at the leader tie. A 10" lure with deep cuts across the sides and at the head and tail, and I sat and tried to take the line off of the reel. No luck. I had to cut it off all the way to the spool. Had I not seen a fish of such magnitude eat my lure as it sat still, I wouldn't have set the hook like a WWF super star, but I guess when the line is wet and slippery, and is at the end of the spool on it's pass, it's bound to slip in there a bit, but not all the way to the base of the spool! All of my equipment for a netman at the stern that day, here in The Twilight Zone.
Beaver
Posted 10/28/2012 10:02 PM (#594112 - in reply to #593993)

Cast4musky....I just peeeed myself. 8D

I'd have to say one of my biggest heartbreaks was not looping the anchor rope around my exes neck the last March that I lobbed it into The Mighty Mississippi River!!!

Edited by Beaver 10/28/2012 10:05 PM
Big Perc
Posted 10/29/2012 9:41 PM (#594459 - in reply to #593302)

Watching a 50 pounder shake my cisco pounder after seeing the fish on the same spot for 3 days, finally getting it to eat, fought it almost to the boat, then watching it come up in slow motion and shake that pounder...cried that day...

Or

Watching my dad loose a mid 50's in the figure 8 within sight of camp because his drag locked up...almost cried that day...
FAT-SKI
Posted 10/30/2012 3:53 PM (#594737 - in reply to #594112)

cast4musky - yep that story just took the cake! don't leave us hangin man... What happened next?
Posted 11/1/2012 11:32 AM (#595265 - in reply to #594737)

FAT-SKI - 10/30/2012 3:53 PM

cast4musky - yep that story just took the cake! don't leave us hangin man... What happened next?

He waited for people to get the joke....
muskieDon
Posted 11/1/2012 12:51 PM (#595275 - in reply to #595265)

cast4muskie is lookin' for a new woman with a boat - please send pic of boat...
BretRobert1
Posted 11/1/2012 7:04 PM (#595386 - in reply to #593302)

My home-body-of-water is in NW Illinois. Stocked with tigers. For years the state record was 26 lbs and change. More recently, it was pushed over 30. My friends and I have always talked about catching the state record and have made it our goal to catch that fish. I've caught 5 or 6 fish on this lake between 22-25 lbs (keep in mind, they're tigers). Biggest I've landed being a 45.5" tiger with some nice girth.

About 2 weeks after I caught that tiger referenced above, my friends and I were bass fishing and saw a monster showing it's dorsal on top of the water. We scooted over to the site and threw some lures it's way. I was casting a bucktail that needed it's hooks sharpened. Took about 10 casts and each time I retrieved the lure, I would watch the gold blade come back to the boat, just under the surface. On that 11th or so cast, about 3-5 ft from the boat, I was about to pull the bait outta the water when a monster came up in slow motion with it's mouth completely open and inhaled my bucktail. The fish made a huge splash with it's tail and just shot down under the boat.

Didn't have a leader, was fishing with a pole not meant for muskies, and had 10 or 12 lb test on. Fought that fish for about 3 minutes or so and had it go by the boat two different times. One particularly was close enough to get the fish in the net but my buddy just missed it (he still talks about it today). Then, all-of-the-sudden my line went limp. Reeled the bucktail in and nothing was on it.

I'm 28 now, had this fish on when I was probably 15. I worked construction for years growing up as a summer job and have always been pretty good at estimating length. I would say this fish was between 48-51 inches and very girthy. My buddy that missed the fish w/ the net (who's also caught a handful of nice tigers on this lake ) guarantees it was the state record fish.

Those 3 to 4 minutes have been permanently etched into my memory bank. Trying harder than ever to land the state record to this day.

Good fishing,

Bret
MuskieMark01
Posted 11/1/2012 8:11 PM (#595398 - in reply to #593835)

esoxaddict - 10/26/2012 10:37 PM

"My other girlfriend doesn't complain about it. Oh crap, she's got a fish. I gotta go!"

This one's gonna get me in trouble someday!