A good watch
horsehunter
Posted 10/24/2012 8:56 AM (#593049)
Subject: A good watch

http://www.fishfactor.tv/show.html
about 3o min.
muddymusky
Posted 10/27/2012 5:51 PM (#593941 - in reply to #593049)
Subject: RE: A good watch

Thanks for sharing, good video.
Posted 11/9/2012 5:16 AM (#596974 - in reply to #593049)

tks for sharing
Posted 11/9/2012 12:16 PM (#597026 - in reply to #593049)

Good video! I really like how he took the time to talk about fish with swim bladder issues.

We have also ran into the same problem with fish not being able to swim down into the depths after release. This was/is a very big problem this year, especially on one lake. The fish were caught casting around the weedline too, so it wasn't like they were pulled from deep water. And like in the video, we were doing water releases to minimize stress to the fish. Although the water releases do help, some fish would still stay by the surface unable to swim down past about 4-5 feet deep.

Some people feel the need to take a picture of every fish they catch. It is within their right to do so, but I think sometimes doing a water release is the best thing for some fish that are hooked bad or that look extremely stressed out. We water released a 40 lber last weekend because it took a little while to get the fish unhooked. Yeah it would have been nice to get a photo and more accurate measurements, but it was more important to the angler who caught it to ensure it would live rather than put it through more stress.
horsehunter
Posted 11/9/2012 12:27 PM (#597027 - in reply to #593049)
Subject: Re: A good watch

Good for you on the water release of a horse the well-being of the beast is much more important than our ego photo. The picture will be engraved on your memory for all time what more would you need.
Posted 11/11/2012 5:57 PM (#597291 - in reply to #593049)

So...is there any scientific or biological hard data to back up this odd theory? Or is this simply speculation because Marc had a fish die and he couldn't explain?

I have had a similar issue with a couple fish....always in good waves just like the first one in the video. My theory... it's the waves while the fish is in the net, kinda knockin it's equilibrium out of whack. I recall an article in Esox Angler about this very thing.