Calcutta 400te, PIKEMASTER?
Chris78
Posted 10/16/2012 12:18 AM (#591170)
Subject: Calcutta 400te, PIKEMASTER?

I just purchased a 400te from ebay for $250 I thought this was a pretty cheap price but then I noticed its a older model than my newer 400te. Cosmetically it is in near mint condition. Id say 9 out of 10. Mechanically I havent thrown any baits with it yet so I cant really say yet. It feels fine in my hands as far as reeling and disengaging the spool. Not a really good test but couldnt stop messing with it. I was comparing it to my other 400te and noticed some differences. The knob to loosen the side plate is silver and my other 400te which is about a year old is gold. Also the drain holes are on the bottom of the reel where as the drain holes on my 1yr old 400te is on the back of the reel. I was curious about how old this reel is? I plan on having it gone thru is there anything I should upgrade being that its a older model? I was planning on putting a LJV handle on this reel is the shaft the same size? And I remember reading a post about changing a spring or something to prevent the LJV handles from engaging the spool when casting. What parts are needed for that upgrade?
Thanks.
-Chris
PIKEMASTER
Posted 10/16/2012 5:43 AM (#591175 - in reply to #591170)
Subject: Re: Calcutta 400te???? PIKEMASTER?

Chris: That reel could be over 10years old, so this reel should be open up and ck over, also make sure all bearings are oiled and greased. If you open it up yourself ck to make sure the A/R Pawl is working and look for signs of rust on the A/R Bearing, then replace part #2711 clutch pawl spring and #1223 retractor spring. Also I would replace the drag washers with a set of CARBONTEX drag washers. It does not matter how old a TE is you still have one of the BEST REELS EVER MADE.
Chris78
Posted 10/16/2012 9:36 AM (#591221 - in reply to #591175)

PIKEMASTER thanks alot for your quick response. I really appreciate your insight on the situation. Did the older reels have the same amount of bearings as the newer te's? Im gonna send it in when I send in my other reels in the winter and have the spring changed for the te handle. Thanks again for your help.

Chris
PIKEMASTER
Posted 10/16/2012 1:13 PM (#591264 - in reply to #591221)

Chris78 - 10/16/2012 9:36 AM

PIKEMASTER thanks alot for your quick response. I really appreciate your insight on the situation. Did the older reels have the same amount of bearings as the newer te's? Im gonna send it in when I send in my other reels in the winter and have the spring changed for the te handle. Thanks again for your help.

Chris

Yes the same bearings.
Consigliere
Posted 10/17/2012 2:35 PM (#591556 - in reply to #591170)
Subject: RE: Calcutta 400te???? PIKEMASTER?

I was planning on putting a LJV handle on this reel is the shaft the same size? And I remember reading a post about changing a spring or something to prevent the LJV handles from engaging the spool when casting. What parts are needed for that upgrade?
Thanks.
-Chris

I have a 400TE with powerhandle that occasionally engages on the cast. Is it just the 2 springs PIKEMASTER mentioned that should be replaced because of the powerhandle or is it a whole new spring to add ?If you find out any info on this spring upgrade that will help this issue please post!

PIKEMASTER
Posted 10/17/2012 3:23 PM (#591570 - in reply to #591556)
Subject: RE: Calcutta 400te???? PIKEMASTER?

Consigliere - 10/17/2012 2:35 PM

I was planning on putting a LJV handle on this reel is the shaft the same size? And I remember reading a post about changing a spring or something to prevent the LJV handles from engaging the spool when casting. What parts are needed for that upgrade?
Thanks.
-Chris

I have a 400TE with powerhandle that occasionally engages on the cast. Is it just the 2 springs PIKEMASTER mentioned that should be replaced because of the powerhandle or is it a whole new spring to add ?If you find out any info on this spring upgrade that will help this issue please post!

The springs are stock and after a few years of use will become weaker so just replace them.
All you have to do is keep your thumb down on the cast button and the reel will not engage with power handles. Set the spool brakes on 4-6 and you be able to keep your thumb down on the cast button and not on the spool.