Sucker setup
Riverrat351
Posted 10/11/2012 5:53 PM (#590279)
Subject: Sucker setup

I was wondering what the majority of people use for line on their sucker rods. I've heard of some people using mono, but the only advantages I can think of would be, doesn't retain water (won't freeze), harder for a fish to see. I would think when you're trying to rip the hooks out of the sucker, and into the muskies mouth, that braided would be the far better choice. Would 80# power pro be a good choice? Would a rig with mono "get bit" more often, therefore increasing your chances?
Posted 10/11/2012 6:07 PM (#590282 - in reply to #590279)
Subject: RE: Sucker setup

Your standard rig will do fine but it's not a bad idea to beef up your line to 100#+ since it doesn't hurt anything. Water retention is not a big problem since once you get your rig set it usually just sits there unlike constantly casting and retrieving. You can also peel off the frozen line then reel the slack line back up and it's not a problem. If you respool your reel with fresh line it won't hold much water if you'll be fishing in sub freezing temps for long periods of time.

Mono line would be a bad idea I think since there is so much stretch, you need to snap the rubber band (or whatever method you use) and drive the hooks home. I wouldn't want any stretch in the system.

A very heavy pound test fluoro or mono leader attached to a stainless steel sucker rig is not a bad idea and could up your odds.
don3118
Posted 10/11/2012 6:09 PM (#590283 - in reply to #590279)
Subject: Re: Sucker setup

Nothing under 100# line for me.
muskyhunter24
Posted 10/11/2012 6:09 PM (#590284 - in reply to #590279)
Subject: Re: Sucker setup

I personally use 80-100# braid for my sucker rods and I haven't experienced any problems, however that being said most people I know that use mono for suckers are using it when the temps really get down to the point where braided line freezing up is almost guaranteed. This would be under 40 degree water temps and mid 30's air temps or lower in my experience. I mainly hang it up when braid starts consistently freezing because I admit I am lazy and maybe stupid and don't want to deal with mono and respooling. I am sure visibility plays some role in sucker fishing, this is why most sucker rigs sold in stores have a long section of leader between the top hook and the swivel to attach to your main line, this also is possibly for rolling fish as well.