Wire leader question
Flo Meister
Posted 10/2/2012 8:55 PM (#588593)
Subject: Wire leader question

Has anyone used the AFW Surflon nylon coated 7x7 leader wire. Any pros or cons with it?
pikepatrol
Posted 10/2/2012 10:30 PM (#588615 - in reply to #588593)
Subject: RE: Wire leader question

I know youre probably talking a lighter lb steel leader for musky but you wanted an AFW review, here you go:

i just got back from shark fishing in the keys. we broke off the first 7 sharks using 70 lb tyger and 100 lb tuff leader. Went back and retooled with 90 lb AFW that you speak of, never had a nick in the wire although they did strip the nylon some but it did not make a difference. boated at least 20 after changing to AFW.

Pros are it is probably the toughest leader material i have ever come across, is fairly kink resistant and ultra tooth proof.

Cons are it is horrible to try and tie a knot in and make it hold. The only knot i could get to tie and cinch tight on it was a homer rode loop knot to the hook, and an albright knot to the mainline. (this is 90lb mind you)

you could try and melt the nylon with twists in it, ive heard it works as good as knots.

Ive also had good leaders make out of 40 lb AFW for huge pike, but find tyger line much better for every aspect in regards to both tip ups, open water dead bait rigging, most especially fly fishing and knot tying.
Posted 10/4/2012 12:53 PM (#588967 - in reply to #588593)
Subject: RE: Wire leader question

I use Surflon Micro Leader all the time. Usually in 40 lb but you can even use 26 lb. I like the 40 lb to help turn the fly over a little easier. I use to use 80 fluro but had three bite offs in one season and said enough is enough. I talked to a Seagar rep and he said even if I use 130# leader it could cut through. The surflon gets way better movement than using fluoro and I have seen no differences in hookup rates. In fact this has been my best year to date including multiple 50"+ fish and the surflon has held up great. Second season using it and have boated well over 50 fish with no problems. I have fished some the most pressured lakes around and haven't seen a difference. A guide that has been doiing this since early 90s turned my on to it and I am glad he did. Highly recommend it. I personally like the camo color but it may not make a difference.