deadsticking plastics etc. Who does it? Success?
Bulldawg
Posted 10/2/2012 11:35 AM (#588476)
Subject: deadsticking plastics etc. Who does it? Success?

I know guys that have had luck deadsticking a mag dawg off the back of the boat.
Wondering what are some other good options guys have had luck with. Probably an under utilized tactic. Bondys? Shads? Jigs? Thanks
Ja Rule
Posted 10/2/2012 11:56 AM (#588479 - in reply to #588476)
Subject: Re: deadsticking plastics etc. Who does it? Success?

I tried this most of the summer while I was fishing deeper water. I primarily used Bondys but also mixed in a few dawgs here and there. I personally never had one strike, or even a fish look at the bait. It became a nuisance really because it would just collect floating weeds, get in the way during a fight, etc. Not saying at all it wont work because I do know a few guys who have had success doing it. I just know it didn't work for me.
muskydeceiver
Posted 10/2/2012 12:09 PM (#588480 - in reply to #588479)

Had a buddy put his rod in a rod holder while casting a pounder during the fall. He got tired and wanted a break. He was joking and said if the rod tip goes down its a fish, pretty simple. I looked back and the rod tip was sagging. I said "like that?" He picked up the rod, reeled it in and i netted a 50". Fish didnt even fight. Not sure it even knew it was hooked. We joked about it this last weekend actually. His brother was running the boat and never evn stopped. Dont think he believed we had just boated a fish.
mm3
Posted 10/2/2012 1:04 PM (#588490 - in reply to #588476)
Subject: RE: deadsticking plastics etc. Who does it? Success?

Almost had one by accident. I was working a known spot with a regular bulldawg pretty good for a while with the anchor down in a small row boat. I decided to move on and set my pole on the side of boat with the bulldawg hanging over about one foot in the water while I went up front to pick up the anchor. I went to the back of the boat to simultaneousy start the trolling motor and pick up my pole when I saw a mid 30 inch fish just checking out the dawg. I immediatley went into a figure 8, but I had already turned the handle on the trolling motor - it scared the crap out of him.
mahnkal
Posted 10/2/2012 2:11 PM (#588504 - in reply to #588476)

i do this when fishing alone in the summer(when its to hot for suckers) and i have caught a few smaller fish but nothing with any size
Posted 10/2/2012 7:20 PM (#588561 - in reply to #588476)
Subject: RE: deadsticking plastics etc. Who does it? Success?

We tried this once on an action lake. I think we had boated something crazy, like 10 fish and had run out of suckers so we tried hanging a bulldawg off the back of the boat. Not a sniff.
wkeegobbler
Posted 10/2/2012 7:51 PM (#588570 - in reply to #588476)

I used a bondy this summer during a good wind and it had pretty good action I think! Didn't get one on it but I gotta believe it could work!!!
Landry
Posted 10/2/2012 8:01 PM (#588572 - in reply to #588570)

Tried it for 3 days this summer with no success on a bondy bait.
We did get 2 Muskie that wouldn't eat on an eight by throwing magdawgs back at them and dead sticking them just like you would for smallest with a tube. That was cool.
Landry.