Star Lake?
esoxlazer
Posted 8/29/2012 12:46 AM (#581436)
Subject: Star Lake?

I'm gonna be heading up to Star Lake in Vilas co. tomorrow to meet my brothers for a few days...they've only seen 2 small fish since Friday with nothing in the boat. I've only fished it a handful of times and although I've seen fish, I haven't put one in the bag. I was wondering if anyone had any pointers they may be willing to share for out there? I'm still looking to put my youngest brother on his first fish but I think that's gonna be a tough task on a lake like Star. If the fishing is tough, I might just trailer up and head elsewhere but I'm not too familiar with anything else in the area but the Mani Chain. If anyone could share any general patterns going in the area it would be greatly appreciated...I can then look in the map book and pick some water that looks fitting to whats going on locally. Thanks much in advance!!

-Eric
MikeHulbert
Posted 8/29/2012 12:53 AM (#581437 - in reply to #581436)
Subject: Re: Star Lake?

if you looking to just get one for your bro, head to Ballard and Irving....throw a small mepps bucktail or a 500 series bucher tail and he will catch one or 10.
Matt Collins
Posted 8/29/2012 9:17 AM (#581494 - in reply to #581437)

I second Ballard or Irving. They are right there by star and have plenty of fish to keep you busy. You'll be hard pressed to get one over 40 inches. For action its your best bet close by. There are some bigger ones in white birch if you can get back there. Rizzo tails work very well on Ballard as well. Good luck.
OscarTFish
Posted 8/30/2012 5:30 PM (#581804 - in reply to #581436)

Wildcat is yet another option.
esoxlazer
Posted 9/2/2012 12:07 AM (#582135 - in reply to #581436)

Thanks a million for the advice fellas!! My brothers didn't end up putting any in the boat, but they had a blast bouncing around to other lakes in the area(Ballard/Irving/etc). I ended up sticking it out on Star and putting 3 in the boat(43, 46, and 47). Never realized how tough it would be to net a bigger fish while out solo...or how tough it would be to get decent pictures for that matter. Crummy pics or not, it was a blast to be able to finally figure something out on that lake and put together a plan that worked. Hopefully that breaks the slump that I'd been in and I can carry my luck over into the fall. Finding bait over deep weeds in 15-20ft of water was the ticket and both of the bigger fish came from the same small inside turn on back to back evenings.