Jason Mitchell Elite Series?
dzgolf2
Posted 7/10/2012 9:11 AM (#570109)
Subject: Jason Mitchell Elite Series?

Anyone have any experience with the Jason Mitchell Elite Series 9' telescopic musky rod? Any idea what the weight rating is for this rod, as XH is open to many interpretations, and I haven't found much in the way for information or reviews. Thanks in advance.
esox1980
Posted 7/12/2012 3:11 PM (#570971 - in reply to #570109)
Subject: Re: Jason Mitchell Elite Series?

I would guess a walleye/pike guy probably is overshooting the weight rating. I don't know anyone who has one.
Kleck
Posted 1/15/2013 10:04 PM (#610085 - in reply to #570109)

Curious about these rods too. Specifically the telescoping part and if it's held tight by a rubber piece or epoxy like the Tackle Industry rods.
Kleck
Posted 1/17/2013 2:27 PM (#610419 - in reply to #610085)

I decided to call too and was told the telescoping part is not held tight by a rubber piece and is basically carbon rod on carbon rod.

Ended up getting 2 of the 9' rods for $150 shipped through Reeds on Ebay. Will post back with a review after they arrive. Worse case I'll use them as trolling rods...
Kleck
Posted 1/23/2013 5:51 PM (#611980 - in reply to #610419)

I received the rods today and it seems pretty decent for the price ($75/each). On one of them the guides were a slightly off center, and the second to last guide on that rod was at least 45* off. It was bad. I called and they're issuing a call tag to replace it. Not a big deal if it all goes through OK, but it should not have passed quality control like that.

This will be the biggest rod I own and don't have any other 9' rods to compare it to (my next longest is 7'6"). Retracted for storage is not as short as I was hoping, just over 8'. It does not have the lure weight or line details printed on the rod either. Made of graphite. Rod is labeled as XXH, and seems like it could possibly handle pounders. I think their claim of 16oz (based on the post above) is probably somewhat close, maybe a tad high and closer to 12oz. It will definitely throw my Reg SuperD's like a champ, and now I feel like I have a rod that can throw some Mag D's too.

Typical cork handle. Fugi reel seat. No sure on what brand of guides, but seem pretty decent to me and should hold up well.

Telescopic part seems to secure pretty tight and strong. Did not notice or see any kind of rubber piece holding it together, and it does take some force to break down. Should hold up well and for a long time based on how little I get out and fish (<30 days/year). Good, comfortable feel. Really looking forward to testing it out in May.

Below are some measurements I took if it helps.

Rod Length Extended = 8' 11 1/4"
Rod Length Retracted/Stored = 8' 3/4"
Lower Rod Section = 7/8" diameter, pretty much from fore grip to where it meets up with the top.
Telescopic Rod Section Base = 5/8" diameter
Rear Handle = 13"
Fore grip = 5"
Reel Seat = 5"
Weight = No scale to measure it accurately, but feels pretty light for a 9'er. I guess about 12oz.
Rod balance point is around 30" from the butt. Definitely not tip heavy.

I'm no pro and have limited experience with any of the good gear, but if anyone would like any other info just ask. For a part timer like me I think it's a good deal as long as the guides are straight. Had it not been for the 2-for-1 deal at $150/shipped, I would have gone with a TI rod, and still might add one to the collection.

Kleck
Posted 1/23/2013 5:58 PM (#611983 - in reply to #611980)

Pics of the guide that was not aligned - kind of blurry but you can see how bad it was. Might be closer to 90* off after looking at it again. Even some of the others are off too. The other rod they were nice and straight. Hopefully no one else gets a bad one, and as long as Reed's take care of it like I think they will I'll be cool with it.

Zoom - | Zoom 100% | Zoom + | Expand / Contract | Open New window
Click to expand / contract the width of this image
(Jason Mitchell Musky Rod 2.jpg)

Zoom - | Zoom 100% | Zoom + | Expand / Contract | Open New window
Click to expand / contract the width of this image
(Jason Mitchell Musky Rod.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments Jason Mitchell Musky Rod 2.jpg (93KB - 206 downloads)
Attachments Jason Mitchell Musky Rod.jpg (51KB - 206 downloads)
muskie24/7
Posted 1/27/2013 11:44 AM (#612693 - in reply to #610085)

I think I'll stick with the TI rods! They are proven quality and wallet friendly:)
Kleck
Posted 2/18/2013 10:00 PM (#618479 - in reply to #570109)

Might be smart to. I really like the rod and am anxious to get it out on the water, but I'm still waiting for the replacement one. Just glad this is the off-season.

Edit: Got it today (2/21). Much better, but the last guide before the tip was still slightly off. Not trying to nit-pick it or be too anal, but even Berkly rods at Wal-mart get them straight. Tough rod, very light, good quality parts used to make it, sub-par guide assembly.