Terminal Tackle ?
tr7
Posted 6/5/2012 10:35 PM (#563582)
Subject: Terminal Tackle ?

I am embarassed to say, but I do not have near the proper tools I need on board. I have started to pick a few things up and while doing so have noticed there are a ton of products out there. Looking through Rollie and Helens book has got me confused on what to buy. I am curious what you guys recommend as absolute must haves. I have a file, a couple of hook removers (probably not the best), siccors, line cutter. I am looking for the tool and brand names that you use. In particular hook cutter, scale, measuring tools. Thanks for the help in advance.
Cowboyhannah
Posted 6/5/2012 11:02 PM (#563592 - in reply to #563582)
Subject: Re: Terminal Tackle ?

Get a TWO jaw spreaders--the bigger ones---working on the fish in the bag with jaw spreaders is handy to get at those hard to reach places and saves on having to dig in there potentially harming the fish. However, I said get TWO because in the process of popping the hook out of the fish's mouth the spreaders often fall out (just happened to me this weekend). Sometimes you get lucky and they catch on the net, other times they fall into the abyss and then you are screwed. Also get a pair of knipex brand hook cutters...check ebay and watch for the best price...they are worth the extra cost and will last a long time. Always cut hooks if it makes it easier on the fish...hooks are cheap so have extras in a variety of sizes. Most good double 10s have split rings attaching them (instead of a clevis) so the hooks are easy to replace. Also some kind of tool for reaching hard to access areas like a hookout. I've been meaning to get on of those spring loaded tools with which you can actually grab onto the hook.
RyanJoz
Posted 6/5/2012 11:11 PM (#563594 - in reply to #563592)

Knipex cutters are a must. Other cheap substitutions just do not work as well.

I prefer Craftsman Professional pliers in 11" and I bought a kit of 45 degree, straight, and duckbill for like 50 bucks on clearance at Sears last year.

Don't forget a net. Most people will say this is a given, but not for all. I like Frabill nets the best. Buy a Powerstow or Power Catch (32x41 with the heavy netting) and you will be set for a long time.

Luhr Jensen makes the best hook files. PERIOD.

I use a pocket knife to cut line, but I keep it very very sharp; to the point that it will shave. It has bailed me out time and time again so I never leave home without it.

I might also note that all of my tools are tethered to me or the boat via parachute cord. I lost a nice set of pliers once and that is all it took. Some people clip tools to the net, just be prepared and you will save yourself a lot of money in tools. The jaw spreader is the easiest to tie off because of the big loop. Use a clinch type knot and it will be plenty sufficient.
Zib
Posted 6/5/2012 11:15 PM (#563597 - in reply to #563582)
Subject: RE: Terminal Tackle ?

For cutting hooks the Knipex 7101200 8-Inch Lever Action Mini-Bolt Cutter is the way to go. It's pricy but it will last. They're made in Germany & are great quality. You can usually find them on Ebay cheap. You can buy the cheap made in China cutters from Lowes or Home Depot but they will get wore out quick.

Xuron Split Ring Pliers (Made in USA). Amazon has them the cheapest that I've found.

Be sure to have extra split rings & hooks of different sizes.

Tyrant Jaw Spreaders. They are far better than the standard jaw speaders IMO.

Long nose pliers (11"+) if you don't already have them. I got a pair of Cabelas brand long nose pliers. They are stainless steel & don't rust. They sell a set that has the standard size & long needle nose pliers along with side cutters.

A good pair of gloves will help protect your hands as well. I have the Lindy Fish Handling Gloves that I got on sale at BPS otherwise they run around $25 per glove.

If you are going to weight a musky then do it in a cradle & not by the mouth. Less stress on the fish & less chance the fish will get injured.

There's a few brands of bump boards out there (T's Tackle, T&M, Musky SHop etc.) or if you don't want to spend the $$$ the go with a measuring stick or measuring rulers from BP Products. I have the measuring ruler from BP Products & like it. If you plan to fish tournement then go with a bump board. Some guys make there own bump boards. Also get a retracting measuring tape to measure the girth.

catchandrelease
Posted 6/5/2012 11:49 PM (#563604 - in reply to #563582)

I saw Lowe's carries Knipex cutters a few months ago. They were fairly cheap back then, but I believe they're about the same as Rollie & Helen's now. Still might be easier/cheaper with shipping cost and delivery time.
tr7
Posted 6/6/2012 12:11 AM (#563608 - in reply to #563582)

Awesome guys! Thank you. I was almost certain of going with the Knipex. I have a net, and the Lindy glove. I have been looking hard at bump boards, but #*^@ they are expensive. Any recommendations for the most reasonably priced boardthat does the job? I will not be tournament fishing if that matters. How often are you weighing fish? I never have that is why I asked about a scale, but if there is a chance of injuring the fish I will not do it. When using the length times girth method how accurate is it? Thanks again.
catchandrelease
Posted 6/6/2012 12:31 AM (#563611 - in reply to #563582)

You can always make your own board. They aren't absolutely necessary when you aren't fishing tournaments, but it's nice to have an accurate measurement, especially if you have a quality fish. I don't know of any board that is particularly cheaper than the next.

I have never weighed a fish and I doubt I ever will. An estimate is good enough for me. I've seen videos of people laying the fish in a cradle and hooking the scale to the cradle itself to get the weight. When doing this the weight for the fish is distributed and you aren't hooking into it's gills, mouth, et cetera. I'm not sure if this is the approved method, but it's what I would do if I ever wanted to weigh a fish.
tr7
Posted 6/6/2012 12:36 AM (#563612 - in reply to #563582)

Yeah if there is any risk of hurting a fish I won't bother. If it is a fish worth it I will measure the girth for an idea. I likethe cradle idea, but that is another tool I would have to buy and store in the boat.