St. Croix PGM80HM casting?
Ruddiger
Posted 6/5/2012 7:12 PM (#563550)
Subject: St. Croix PGM80HM casting?

Howdy,

I'm looking for some rods that can double as a casting and trolling rod, but can also take the abuse that some anglers put on equipment. I was recommended the glass trolling rod by the guys at TBs but wanted other insights.

Has anyone used this rod to cast with? If so how does it do and how far above 8oz could you toss? Also how does it perform for trolling big baits like 13 inch Believers?

I usually provide all the equipment to people in my boat and am looking for something that has a lot of multiple applications as well as holding up to unintentional abuse and carelessness from novice anglers.

Take care,

Ruddiger
Ebenezer
Posted 6/5/2012 8:13 PM (#563555 - in reply to #563550)
Subject: RE: St. Croix PGM80HM casting?

Casts Mag Dawgs like a dream. Loads way too much for my tastes with Pounders. Heavy in the hand during retrieve. Hard to really "juke" a Mag Dawg as the rod tip has considerable give in it. It'll work, but you may not be fully satisfied with this rod in casting situations. Haven't trolled anything bigger than a 10" Jake, it handled that just fine.
Flambeauski
Posted 6/6/2012 8:13 AM (#563630 - in reply to #563550)
Subject: Re: St. Croix PGM80HM casting?

Trolls the big believers very nice. It's not a great casting rod but tough and forgiving. Like he says above it's not a great ripping rod, its nice for pulling crankbaits, not ripping them.