Bondy Bait Size/Color Recommendations
catchandrelease
Posted 6/5/2012 4:07 PM (#563513)
Subject: Bondy Bait Size/Color Recommendations

Read a couple threads already, but I'd like a more concise answer. What does everyone recommend in a Bondy Bait?

1) regular size (7.5", 7 oz) vs junior (6", 6 oz)

2) lighter lure (Pearl) vs darker lure (Black)
MSKE
Posted 6/5/2012 6:15 PM (#563542 - in reply to #563513)
Subject: RE: Bondy Bait Size/Color Recommendations

That's still not an easy question to answer. Your water might differ greatly from St. Clair/Detroit River. If you're not fishing heavy current and bait sizes aren't very large I'd go for the smaller version and probably opt for lighter colors because most prey fish tend to be light in color.

You might ask, what's your favorite size and color Bondy Bait? That would give you an idea of what people like to use.
Ronix
Posted 6/5/2012 7:07 PM (#563549 - in reply to #563542)
Subject: Re: Bondy Bait Size/Color Recommendations

email jon, hes really good about making recommendations for your water and informative on whats been working for him. im sure he'll chime in here on it sooner or later
Zib
Posted 6/5/2012 10:25 PM (#563578 - in reply to #563513)

The must 3 have colors are Vomit, Black (or black purple), & perl (or red horse sucker). Go with the original size.

Bondy Baits
catchandrelease
Posted 6/6/2012 12:00 AM (#563606 - in reply to #563513)

Well I don't need to buy any, you can just send me a few of yours.

I was thinking black/orange flake in the regular size (MTO is out of straight black, junior size is not available in any variation of black). Is there a huge difference between black/orange flake and black/purple flake. It seems meaningless, but I you know more than I do. I'd like a black variation and a white variation, but I'm trying not to spend too much and get too deep into this yet. Not a ton of places to use one of these on the waters I fish, but I have to give one a try. Mostly trying to determine which one to get if you could only get one.
Jobu
Posted 6/6/2012 8:42 AM (#563636 - in reply to #563513)

You only need 2 colors---the black and the pearl----they cover the spectrum for any water clarity you might find yourself fishing----- I would suggest a few of each though, as the fish are quite hostile toward the Bondys----how rude! good luck----Jobu
curleytail
Posted 6/6/2012 12:45 PM (#563695 - in reply to #563513)

Sorry if I'm stealing the thread, but how many are casting these and ripping/jigging them back to the boat? Never owned one before but I've wondered how they behave fishing them as a casting presentation.

Tucker
Bondy
Posted 6/6/2012 1:50 PM (#563708 - in reply to #563513)

Thanks guys...just got off the water. Had one client and we hooked 7, and missed 3. Biggest was 48 1/2". All caught in deep water. The 7 oz regular size waaayyyy out sells the junior. I have a magnum coming out soon too which will be hot. I also have some really cool colors coming later in the year....right now pearl, black, and vomit do most of my work. I just shipped some black perch to MTO yesterday and some new 'lemon pie' to Rollies...as for casting, this video might help. Thanks for everyone's interest!!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4dEFqNINmLA
Posted 6/6/2012 2:07 PM (#563714 - in reply to #563513)

we were using one of the Bondy 2.0 along with our originals this weekend and every time my buddy stopped jigging it his rod tip would go nuts from the white bass grabbing the tail, happened at every spot we tried, i thought he was bouncing bottom till i held the rod for a minute also i like black and vomit shad
Zib
Posted 6/6/2012 8:31 PM (#563759 - in reply to #563606)

catchandrelease - 6/6/2012 1:00 AM

Well I don't need to buy any, you can just send me a few of yours.

I was thinking black/orange flake in the regular size (MTO is out of straight black, junior size is not available in any variation of black). Is there a huge difference between black/orange flake and black/purple flake. It seems meaningless, but I you know more than I do. I'd like a black variation and a white variation, but I'm trying not to spend too much and get too deep into this yet. Not a ton of places to use one of these on the waters I fish, but I have to give one a try. Mostly trying to determine which one to get if you could only get one.

FYI, those Bondy's in the pic are about 2/3 of the Bondy's I own. I usually lose at least 2 a season from snags so I need as many as I can get.

As for the black w/orange flake vs. black w/purple flake or straight black I really don't think it makes much difference to fish but does have a confidence factor for the angler. Go with what you have the most confidence in.

The black w/orange flake is one of the colors I've never owned because for some reason I have no confidence in any black & orange lure. Actully it's the color orange itself that I have no confidence in. The 3 different guys that I musky fish with all have the black w/orange flake & have all caught several muskies on them. My one buddy just about cried when he lost his to a snag shortly after boating his 2nd musky of the day on it. I've caught about equal with the solid black & black w/purple flake but I tend to have more confidence in the black w/purple.
Mullhead
Posted 6/6/2012 10:37 PM (#563783 - in reply to #563759)

Black
Pearl
Five of Diamonds

If you have a fish following that hangs around the boat and won't eat. It usually only takes about two jigs . I sometimes change the blade to a hammered copper #6 too.
catchandrelease
Posted 6/7/2012 4:21 PM (#563935 - in reply to #563513)

Here's the big question - When is Black better than Pearl, and when is Pearl better than Black? Is there anything more conclusive than trial and error?
Zib
Posted 6/7/2012 5:40 PM (#563945 - in reply to #563935)

catchandrelease - 6/7/2012 5:21 PM

Here's the big question - When is Black better than Pearl, and when is Pearl better than Black? Is there anything more conclusive than trial and error?

Generally when the water is clear with sunny skies pearl is better. Darker water with darker skies black usually is better. When the conditions are inbetween the two then vomit is usually better but vomit also produces under clear conditions. 2 years ago me & my buddies were getting them on the various black ones under all conditions.

Yesterday under sunny skys & clear water the pearl caught 3 of the 4 we boated, including this 51 1/2", 24" girth.

Bondy
Posted 6/7/2012 5:47 PM (#563946 - in reply to #563513)

Nice Zib!!!!!!!!!!!!!!