Eliminating Clear Coat "Sagging" while on dryer
Grey Ghost
Posted 6/1/2012 11:47 PM (#562995)
Subject: Eliminating Clear Coat "Sagging" while on dryer

I just finished clear coating my first lure. And it has been on the turner/dryer for a couple hours now. I am noticing a little sagging going on that has me concerned that excessive epoxy build up may be the result. My dryer is a 4 RPM speed motor. Is this common in the early stages of the epoxy cure process? Or did I put too thick a coat on? If there does end up being a build up of epoxy when fully cured, how do you deal with it? Sand down to flush with the rest of the surface and apply another light coat? Mabye Im' just overly concerned with this being my first run around with lures. I have made many rods and have never had a problem with sagging/build up of the epoxy I put over the rod guide wraps. I am using Etex Lite. Thanks in advance
Mullhead
Posted 6/2/2012 10:03 AM (#563013 - in reply to #562995)
Subject: RE: Eliminating Clear Coat "Sagging" while on dryer

Sounds like you may have put to much on. After it is fully cured sand off the hump and re- epoxy. You just barely want to cover the lure end to end. Are you rotating the lures horizontal or vertically?
newmuskyz
Posted 6/4/2012 6:06 PM (#563329 - in reply to #563013)
Subject: RE: Eliminating Clear Coat "Sagging" while on dryer

Mullhead is right. Too much. Also if your motor is stalling that will cause build on one side. Try to balance the lures so it spins constant. Etex lite is much thinner than many clears, hence it will tend to run more before it solidifies. If you have air bubbles in you sag that is a good indicator. Most musky baits have heavy clear build, but it takes several thin coats to achieve that. Good luck.
Grey Ghost
Posted 6/6/2012 9:32 AM (#563649 - in reply to #562995)
Subject: Re: Eliminating Clear Coat "Sagging" while on dryer

Thanks. I was able to fix most of the sag prior to full cure via heat and scraping off some of the excess. The motor was stalling out so on the next lure i'll have to do a better job in balancing the weight. Luckily I didn't need to sand it down.