Abu Garcia lunched a drag spring washer
Makintrax73
Posted 5/22/2012 3:03 PM (#561262)
Subject: Abu Garcia lunched a drag spring washer

Guys I have about 3 years of vacations and weekend trips on my Abu Garcia 5600 C5 Mag. I used it for downsized stuff and jerkbaits, suicks mostly. I took it out last night to check things out for a trip up north and it got progressively harder to reel until it was almost impossible.

I pulled it apart. Promptly lost the e-clip. Problem became obvious once I got the drag adj star off. One of the "()" spring washers had turned into 3 parts and a bunch of dust. It's part 5131 the ones right on top of the AR bearing and under the drag star.

Ordering new spring washers (and a new e-clip) is a no brainer. My real question is do any of you have any experience with these failing, and have any ideas what caused the washer to grenade? I was concerned that running the reel with the drag locked down was putting too much pressure on the washers. I would hate to have to run a looser drag because I think I get a lot of missed fish that way. I ordered some carbontex drag disks with the parts thinking they may allow less pressure on the washers with good setting power.

Cleaned everything out and everything seems smoth, and the AR bearing seems OK. Hopefully there are no chunks lurking. Couldn't seem to find a replacement AR. bearing.
Propster
Posted 5/22/2012 9:56 PM (#561334 - in reply to #561262)
Subject: Re: Abu Garcia lunched a drag spring washer

Only thing I can think is if you left it cranked down hard all the time over 3 years, but that shouldn't disintegrate a metal washer I would think.
Makintrax73
Posted 5/22/2012 10:13 PM (#561336 - in reply to #561334)
Subject: Re: Abu Garcia lunched a drag spring washer

I did try to remember to back off the drag when I wasn't using it. I didn't always remember to, but no it wasn't cranked down the whole time I've had it.

I'm sure a lot of people would just say get a better reel, and I do have a Calcutta on my other rod, but this reel has been good to me. I really like the way it casts, and the narrow spool fits my hand better. Hopefully a few parts will get it back up and at 'em. Don't think they make 5600 Mag's anymore.