Talking about getting hung up...
Jeremy
Posted 5/5/2012 4:30 PM (#558055)
Subject: Talking about getting hung up...

What do you boys do when fishing 80-120# braid and your bucktail gets hung on the rocks?

How do you break off....or ?? You can''t simply yank and I'm not sure I want to get close up on the rocks in a wind.

Thanks. I've often wondered this and have kept myself shallow as a result.

Jeremy.
FishingFool
Posted 5/5/2012 4:45 PM (#558057 - in reply to #558055)
Subject: RE: Talking about getting hung up...

I try and re-position the boat while "playing" with the bucktail.If I have to lay on the front of my boat and manually unhook the lure I will. There hasn't been a time when I leave my lures on shore for someone else to get...Heck,anchor next to it and go on shore to recover! Now trees are another story...LOL
brrr
Posted 5/5/2012 6:08 PM (#558065 - in reply to #558057)

jump in!
IM Musky Time
Posted 5/5/2012 6:34 PM (#558067 - in reply to #558055)
Subject: Re: Talking about getting hung up...

I "rescued" one off the rocks and almost killed myself in the process sliding over algae covered boulders and poking my feet. Ended up catching by PB the next night on that bait, so it was worth it. So I say go get it and karma might find you!
allegheny river kid
Posted 5/5/2012 6:52 PM (#558068 - in reply to #558055)

If i can't get a lure unhinged and it comes to breaking the line or bending hooks, i tie the line to a boat cleat and drop it in gear.
zombietrolling
Posted 5/5/2012 7:14 PM (#558069 - in reply to #558055)

I carry a piece of wooden dowel just for that reason. If I can't get it unstuck I'll wrap the line around the dowel and yank. Eventually something between me and the rocks breaks or bends.
dougj
Posted 5/5/2012 7:15 PM (#558070 - in reply to #558055)

Here's something I've done for a long time and it many times amazes people.

I too get hung up on an occasional rock (there's plenty available on the LOTWs).

Here's what I try first, and you'd be surprised how often it works. I call it the "bow and arrow", and perhaps some of you all ready do this, but I've guided lots of people who had never seen it before.

When your favorite DCG gets hung on a rock instead of yanking and pulling as hard as you can, which usually doesn't do much except wedge the lure in a little harder try this.

Hold your rod about chest high and brace it against your forearm. Reel down on the line so it's tight against the lure. Then take your other hand and pull on the line above the reel like you would with a bow and arrow. This will load the rod.

Then let the line go like you would when shooting an arrow. At the same time slightly lower the rod and give is a little flip. The line being released makes the lure jump backwards just a little and if you do this right with a upwards sweep of the rod you'd be surprised how many lures you can just jump off the rocks with out having to go in to shore to get them off. Doesn't always work, but it does many-many times. Once you get this figured out and do it a few times it's very effective. Even works when I'm trolling in the fall.

Saved me many-many trips to shore and messing up a spot.

Doug Johnson  

Jeremy
Posted 5/5/2012 8:15 PM (#558073 - in reply to #558069)

zombietrolling - 5/5/2012 7:14 PM

I carry a piece of wooden dowel just for that reason. If I can't get it unstuck I'll wrap the line around the dowel and yank. Eventually something between me and the rocks breaks or bends.

Thanks for the replies gents. I'm thinking this wooden dowel idea might help me the most. Don't know why I never considered it before.

I have a foot long chunk of 1 1/2"dia. oak in my shop. Think I'll rough it up and keep it in the boat from now on. I'll tell my boat buddies it's what I'm going to club 'em to death with ...*G*

Dang. No magic bullet is there....

Jeremy.

Edited by Jeremy 5/5/2012 8:18 PM
firstsixfeet
Posted 5/5/2012 8:27 PM (#558074 - in reply to #558055)

I can attest to DougJ loving his bow and arrow, but two things to remember,

1 It can be very hard on hook points.
2 As Doug occassionally demonstrated in TN, and KY, "IT DON"T WORK SO GOOD ON WOOD!"
Luke_Chinewalker
Posted 5/5/2012 8:33 PM (#558075 - in reply to #558074)

Ditto on Doug's method. Been doing for years successfully. I'll add that you better make it good on your first try because i noticed that you don't get a second shot at it. After this move if it comes free act fast and get realing right away. If not in my experience it will wedge deeper.
Jeremy
Posted 5/5/2012 9:49 PM (#558091 - in reply to #558070)

dougj - 5/5/2012 7:15 PM

Here's something I've done for a long time and it many times amazes people.

I too get hung up on an occasional rock (there's plenty available on the LOTWs).

Here's what I try first, and you'd be surprised how often it works. I call it the "bow and arrow", and perhaps some of you all ready do this, but I've guided lots of people who had never seen it before.

When your favorite DCG gets hung on a rock instead of yanking and pulling as hard as you can, which usually doesn't do much except wedge the lure in a little harder try this.

Hold your rod about chest high and brace it against your forearm. Reel down on the line so it's tight against the lure. Then take your other hand and pull on the line above the reel like you would with a bow and arrow. This will load the rod.

Then let the line go like you would when shooting an arrow. At the same time slightly lower the rod and give is a little flip. The line being released makes the lure jump backwards just a little and if you do this right with a upwards sweep of the rod you'd be surprised how many lures you can just jump off the rocks with out having to go in to shore to get them off. Doesn't always work, but it does many-many times. Once you get this figured out and do it a few times it's very effective. Even works when I'm trolling in the fall.

Saved me many-many trips to shore and messing up a spot.

Doug Johnson  

Oops...forgive my misunderstanding Doug. For some odd reason I read your post as though you were actually on top of/above the bait. My mistake. And I'll give this a go first. Thanks.

I only just bought over a dozen new bucktails with more to come. Just getting primed...

Jermy.
Fishkabibble
Posted 5/6/2012 8:50 PM (#558251 - in reply to #558055)

This is what I would do in your situation.

http://muskie.outdoorsfirst.com/board/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=70...
Herb_b
Posted 5/7/2012 11:30 AM (#558335 - in reply to #558055)

Some good suggestions here. Certainly better than my method of first saying a bad word (such as c***, s***, or dang) and then whining and complaining for a while. Its always the lures fault by the way.
10,000 Casts
Posted 5/7/2012 2:55 PM (#558364 - in reply to #558055)

Frabill Lure Retriever (Extends to 15ft)

works wonders and pays itself off after 1-2 saves
Hammskie
Posted 5/7/2012 3:10 PM (#558369 - in reply to #558055)

+1 on the "bow and arrow"... try that for 15-20 tries. Then put your thumb on your spool and pull straight away, pointing your rod at the bait. It will either break the line or straighten your hook so the bait comes out.

Jeremy - 5/5/2012 4:30 PM
What do you do when fishing 80-120# braid and your bucktail gets hung on the rocks?

Learn.

Edited by Hammskie 5/7/2012 3:12 PM
happy hooker
Posted 5/7/2012 3:43 PM (#558376 - in reply to #558369)

not needed now right,,, the tranx with its fast speed, push button, level wind makes hanging up bucktails a thing of the past like small pox
DonPursch
Posted 5/7/2012 4:56 PM (#558390 - in reply to #558376)

Dj is right on that one