Insurance
whynot
Posted 4/18/2012 10:28 PM (#554176)
Subject: Insurance

The stolen Triton thread is a good reminder for all of us to make sure our insurance is up to par. Oddly, I just got done with inventory. While it sometimes sucks to realize just how much money I have tied up in this hobby, if it all goes in a fire or is stolen at least I know it's covered. I try to take inventory every spring as I am always buying/selling stuff. Take pics and make a list to make any claim easier.

Chris
Jeremy
Posted 4/19/2012 12:51 PM (#554277 - in reply to #554176)
Subject: RE: Insurance

Along this line of thinking please don't think it can't happen to you.

I had a garage/house fire last Sept. I'm a hobbyist woodworker so I deal with some volatile chemicals and as such am typically very cautious. Did something dumb in a hurry, left to shop and came home to fire engines. I'm 61, should've known better.

Lost 1/2 the house, a new car and a 681 VS Ranger that was in immaculate cond.
Sept. time, so ALL my muskie stuff was in the boat.

State Farm did (is doing...still buying/getting reimbursed as I type) a super job of not nickle and diming me.

It's called "Replacement Coverage" on your home. Make sure you have it. 100% coverage, no questions asked. Seriously.

Boat coverage is as you decide, dollar-wise. I opted for $3000 over the 1997 purchase price and they paid me in full. Not near enough for a 2012 Ranger so I took out a little loan.

A word to the wise. And no I'm not an agent, just a retired ol' tradesman that did something stupid. Don't ask....*G*

Jeremy.

Edited by Jeremy 4/19/2012 12:55 PM
dcates
Posted 4/19/2012 3:09 PM (#554310 - in reply to #554176)

+1

Make certain your electronics are covered (a separate rider on my policy).

Make certain your trolling motor and kicker are each covered (a separate rider on my policy).

Make certain your gear is covered (a separate rider, and all too low a dollar figure - but the most I could get, on my policy).

My base policy covered the hull, main outboard, and trailer.  Nothing else.  My agent advised me well, and I have what I consider to be full coverage.  Check your policy language before there is an issue.

Edited by dcates 4/19/2012 3:10 PM
MuskieMike
Posted 4/19/2012 3:18 PM (#554312 - in reply to #554176)

I went through Farmers, they told me the same thing. Base policy covers hull, motor, trailer. So I added a $10,000 rider to cover rods, reels, trolling motors, electronics etc. etc. I also took pictures of everything, made a list of baits/ rods/reels and keep it updated twice a year. So, if my rig gets destroyed/stolen, I would actually make $ on the deal.
Will Schultz
Posted 4/19/2012 3:26 PM (#554315 - in reply to #554176)
Subject: Re: Insurance

If you ever fish tournaments consider that anything that happens during a tournament will not be covered under most policies. You don't want to find out that the 300,000 injury you caused isn't covered on your policy. Some companies offer an endorsement for this, some don't.
Slow Rollin
Posted 4/19/2012 3:34 PM (#554316 - in reply to #554176)

I think there is alot casing going on around the metro area lately, yet our officers seem to turn the other way and hand out speeding tickets on hwy 169 instead of patrolling neighborhoods.....hand out traffic violatons to good tax paying citizens and avoid patrolling the problem areas. makes no sense at all.....seems like it is intentional
bdog
Posted 4/19/2012 5:01 PM (#554335 - in reply to #554176)

What is a good insurance company that will cover rods reels baits etc? I have progressive now but I don't think they'll cover all that other stuff...
bturg
Posted 4/19/2012 5:07 PM (#554336 - in reply to #554176)

If you guide, fish tourneys or do almost anything that could provide any (potential) income using your boat most insurance companies will deny a claim on your rig. You need specific insurance to be covered ask your agent.

Them issuing you a policy has nothing to do with being any good if you do something that is in the smaller print.

Anglers Advantage is one company that covers "professional use"

Also consider if the guides boat your getting on is properly insured. If you have a gap in your health insurance (or none) and you get injured while aboard you could be footing the bill yourself.

Edited by bturg 4/19/2012 5:11 PM
North of 8
Posted 4/19/2012 6:20 PM (#554360 - in reply to #554336)

Working in banking, one of the best ways to make sure you get what you should in event of fire is take videos/photos of valuable items, make lists, receipts for high dollar items, and put all in a safe deposit box. The don't cost much but they provide a very safe way to store those valuable records. We have customers who update their records semi annnually or annually.
cimusky
Posted 4/20/2012 9:14 PM (#554667 - in reply to #554176)

A few simple steps will help you get the correct insurance coverage for you boat and tackle:
1. Document what you own by pictures or video, and/or a written list with two copies stored in separate locations.
2. For your boating equipment determine the value of the boat, motors and trailer.
3. Write down questions you want to ask your insurance company. Many of the questions could start with; What if …………. And take notes of the answers.
4. Ask for suggestions on the coverage you need to protect yourself from losses.
5. Make sure you understand how a loss will be settled. Will you be paid replacement cost or cash value of a used item, what are the limits on the various items. Some policies have separate limits on the boat, motor and trailer and not a package or total limit of the three. What is covered under the boat?
6. What are the deductibles on the policies.
7. Review the policy when issued to make sure it was issued correctly with the proper limits.

It is always better to take a few extra minutes up front to ask questions when you buy insurance than after a loss.
4reukmuskies
Posted 4/20/2012 10:16 PM (#554676 - in reply to #554176)

Okay, don't start blaming the police and making them the scape goat for all the problems going on in a particular area. There are only so many officers on at a given time and they cannot be every where at once...Anyway, not to say the guy who had the triton stolen did anything wrong, but people need to take some of the responsibility to make sure they don't become a target. There are a lot of little inexpensive things that can be done to deter crime or theft. There are those situations though where if someone really wants to take something they will take advantage of the opportunity.

Blaming the police does nothing and most likely hurts things more than it helps and playing the "why don't you go do some real police work" card obviously means you have had a negative police experience at some point which I am sure was not your fault. Be realistic before you post a comment like that and maybe try and be proactive instead of sitting in the background complaining.
esoxaddict
Posted 4/20/2012 11:29 PM (#554679 - in reply to #554176)

1. save your receipts
2. take pictures of everything you own
3. keep a written inventory of everything, and what you paid for it
4. Put it all on a CD/Flash Drive/Portable Hard drive, and get it OUT of your house.

You'll have a difficult time proving what you had, what you paid for it, or what it all was worth if it burns up in a fire or gets ripped off, unless you have documentation to prove you owned it.

There is only so much you can do to prevent theft. My next door neighbor had his kicker stolen off his boat in a lighted driveway, within sight of a busy residential street. They were trying to steal the big motor, and apprently cut the fuel lines before the cut the battery cable. Started the boat on fire. Burned up his boat, his tackle, his rods, reels, and his truck that was parked next to the boat. And we're not talking ghetto here. Median income in my town is over $90,000. Like another poster said: This is only going to get worse.
whynot
Posted 4/21/2012 8:22 AM (#554713 - in reply to #554176)

Here's an even easier way to ensure electronic records don't burn with your house. Email them to yourself. No paper and unless yahoo or google goes down you are good to go.
Blake
Posted 4/21/2012 9:53 AM (#554723 - in reply to #554176)

I also take pictures with my phone to keep records of equipment.
sworrall
Posted 4/21/2012 12:16 PM (#554744 - in reply to #554176)

http://www.worldwidemarineins.com/

Many of the top Walleye and Bass pros and Guides use Bob's insurance, he specializes in covering boats and all associated equipment with replacement policies. Great reputation for taking very good care of his insured's and making the claim process pleasant and free of unexpected issues.
ChinWhiskers
Posted 4/22/2012 5:55 PM (#554948 - in reply to #554744)

My boat ins. ends May/9/2012 going to call them Monday.
LarryJones
Posted 4/23/2012 5:59 AM (#555039 - in reply to #554176)

One thing most over look when they get boat Insurance coverage,that in Un-Insured Coverage. The basic Un-Insured Coverage on most policys is only $1000.If your boat is in an acident with another boat and that boat owner has No Insurance your only going to recieve your Insurance policy limits.But if you had increased your Un-Insured Coverage to $50,000.00 + it will kick in to cover what should have been covered if the other boat had Insurance.That includes medical bills over the limit of your standard coverage and pain and suffering settlements.The cost of Un-Insured Coverage increase is very low in cost.Increase it on your Auto Insurance Policy as well.

Capt. Larry

Edited by LarryJones 4/23/2012 6:00 AM
cabela10
Posted 4/24/2012 11:50 PM (#555593 - in reply to #554744)

sworrall - 4/21/2012 12:16 PM

http://www.worldwidemarineins.com/

Many of the top Walleye and Bass pros and Guides use Bob's insurance, he specializes in covering boats and all associated equipment with replacement policies. Great reputation for taking very good care of his insured's and making the claim process pleasant and free of unexpected issues.

I am the guy that got the boat stolen, and I had Bob at Worldwide marine. I was taken care of.
Luke_Chinewalker
Posted 4/25/2012 7:28 AM (#555608 - in reply to #554176)

Not all boat coverage is the same. I was encouraged to call Bob a couple years ago for an education on how his policies are really different. I signed up on the spot once I realized how much better suited the policy is for me over the typical auto bundling policy companies.
Jeremy
Posted 4/25/2012 9:53 PM (#555842 - in reply to #554176)

I am the guy who had the house fire and lost my '97 Ranger 681VS Fisherman.

It was insured for $26,000 and was a total loss. State Farm paid me $26,000 quickly, no questions.

I/you/we have several policies. A house policy (make sure you have 100% REPLACEMENT COST guarantee), a car policy and a boat policy....all are separate.

I'm sure this isn't news to most homeowners but it's sometimes good to refresh the head as to what you really do have if disaster strikes.

With respect to "Cabela 10". Glad to hear you were taken care of. This thread was all about your loss and I didn't intend to detract from that!

Jeremy.

Edited by Jeremy 4/25/2012 9:56 PM