Split Grip vs. Full Grip
retiredmn
Posted 4/15/2012 5:36 PM (#553260)
Subject: Split Grip vs. Full Grip

Looking at upgrading to a couple of muskie rods. Heavy and Medium Heavy (either 9 or 81/2 ft). Looking for feedback concerning disadvantages vs. advantages of split or full grip. Just want rods to work. Rods may double as trolling rods at times. Seems the split grips may just be "fashionable" which does not matter to me and maybe it is part of keeping the cost down by the manufactures? any info would be helpful.

I understand that for your lighter fishing such as panfish and walleye the split grip does increase sensitivity but does it really matter with muskies? I mean that when I have had bites it is like a bolt of lightning.
Gregoire
Posted 4/15/2012 5:42 PM (#553264 - in reply to #553260)
Subject: Re: Split Grip vs. Full Grip

I would think that if you wanted to use a rod for trolling as well as casting a full grip would be your best option.
retiredmn
Posted 4/15/2012 6:04 PM (#553289 - in reply to #553264)

Thanks for the reply. That is why I am looking at the full grip.

Lets say that I will just be casting. Why might I want the split grip over the full grip?

Thanks in advance
mad4skies
Posted 4/15/2012 7:01 PM (#553303 - in reply to #553289)

I have used a spit grip for just over a year and love it. It forces you to put you hand on the farthest end of the rod and I have been able to throw the lures farthher, easier, and with mor accuracy. I have the Tackel Industries 9'colapsable MH split grip...The price was sweet also.
Mark
fishfirst92
Posted 4/15/2012 10:00 PM (#553365 - in reply to #553303)

mad4skies - 4/15/2012 8:01 PM

I have used a spit grip for just over a year and love it. It forces you to put you hand on the farthest end of the rod and I have been able to throw the lures farthher, easier, and with mor accuracy. I have the Tackel Industries 9'colapsable MH split grip...The price was sweet also.
Mark

I agree. you can really launch it with the split grip because it forces your hand on the bottom. I have an XH 9' TI Split grip and I love it
Ebenezer
Posted 4/15/2012 11:07 PM (#553379 - in reply to #553260)
Subject: RE: Split Grip vs. Full Grip

As a casting rod, split grips look cool. If the rear cork is short enough, it forces your hand down to the butt of the rod and may facilitate your casting mechanics. But the way I like to hold a rod during retrieve, the exposed blank sits against my ribs. I notice this most when ripping plastics and big minnowbaits. The cushion of a full grip is appreciated when I am ripping.
MuskieSwede
Posted 4/16/2012 12:55 AM (#553390 - in reply to #553260)

All this talk about "forcing your hand down the grip" just grip there anyway for carrots sake!?
I don't own a single split grip rod but i sometimes only grip the very end of the rod when casting.
SteveV
Posted 4/16/2012 7:56 AM (#553414 - in reply to #553260)

I am with Ebeneezer. The split grip kills my ribs when I put the rod butt end under my left arm, especially when ripping crank baits. I am sure the manufacturers love them, since it saves them money not to build the full grip.

Steve V
FAT-SKI
Posted 4/16/2012 8:38 AM (#553419 - in reply to #553379)

I like using the full grip. I have never owned a split grip, but one of my buddies has a few. I like how light they are, but I have the same issue as Ebenezer with my ribs. Depending on your size you may be able to get away with it. But I don't even like burning bucktails all day with the split grip up against my ribs, tends to get sore after a long day. I choose comfort over weight. I can deal with the extra oz or two that the cork adds. Plus I have no issues with casting length or accuracy...
RyanJoz
Posted 4/16/2012 9:53 AM (#553447 - in reply to #553260)

Get the full grip. If you look at the St. Croix brochure online, the difference in weight is about 0.5 oz. This weight reduction is not very noticeable when you add a reel to the rod. The full grip rods also have a better feel on the ribs when ripping baits. I have long arms so I extend the rear grips on all my rods, and the split grip keeps you from doing this. Buy the full grip and be happier in the long run.

To me the split grip does nothing for you as far as casting mechanics. Your hands will go where they go and one is on the reel and one is on the end of the rod.
MG51
Posted 4/16/2012 10:12 AM (#553453 - in reply to #553260)

If your initial preferance is a full grip then that would definitely be the way to go especially if you are going to be trolling as well. I own all split grips, not bc theyre "fashionable" just bc the first one I ever used I liked the way they felt both when casting and on figure 8s when you put your hand right on the butt of the rod...does it give any advantage? probably not but for personal preferance I like split grips a lot.
learntoswim
Posted 4/16/2012 10:16 PM (#553684 - in reply to #553260)

same thing,but imo split iook more fashion
Gregoire
Posted 4/17/2012 5:19 AM (#553706 - in reply to #553260)

Split grips are very popular in bass fishing, were light weight and sensitivity in a rod are desirable for some finesse presentations. In bass fishing the reels are significantly lighter, so a difference of half and oz can be siginificant. Musky fishing can be described as power fishing, although lighter rods will make it easier to cast all day long, a half once difference when you are using reels that are 10 oz.+ does not seem to make a huge difference. Untill they start making musky reels that weigh less that 10oz (I would say 6-7oz or less) I doubt there will any difference in terms of performance between the two types of rods. You may like the way that the rod feels, and I must admit I do like my split grip bass rods, but the key to realize is that the difference is based purely on personal preference rather than the weight or the perfromance of the rod.
Chasin50
Posted 4/17/2012 7:06 PM (#553861 - in reply to #553260)

I own both, and initially resisted split. I will sum it up by saying if you plan to straight retieve like topwater prop baits or bucktails, splits are great. If you are going to jerk or rip anything, go with full. IMOHO it is that simple.
curleytail
Posted 4/17/2012 8:43 PM (#553874 - in reply to #553260)

I used a split grip Tackle Industries rod last year. I used it for everything and liked the feel of the split grip. I used it for ripping bulldawgs and cranks, but at first it did take a little for my ribs to get used to. This year I ordered one of his rods for Pounders, and I ordered it with the full grip.

I consider myself as somebody that doesn't need the split grip to force me into proper casting mechanics, but I do like the way the split grip feels on the cast and figure 8.

I agree with the post above, for more or less straight cranking and anything but hard ripping, the split grip does feel nice. If you want a rod to really lay into your baits and rip them hard you might want to think about a full grip. If you think you will ever troll with the rod in a rod holder I would get a full grip.

Tucker