Spooling Line
Mad Musky
Posted 4/13/2012 7:13 PM (#552954)
Subject: Spooling Line

Any tips or techniques for spooling line at home? How much backing are people generally using? Type of knot to join lines?

TC MUSKIE
Posted 4/13/2012 7:38 PM (#552956 - in reply to #552954)
Subject: Re: Spooling Line

You can use enough backing of cheap mono to cover the spool or you can add more so you don't have to use so much braid. Just a square knot to tie them together. No reason to get really complicated with it.
bmxrider11976
Posted 4/14/2012 8:12 AM (#553016 - in reply to #552954)

i like uni to uni knot. its small and holds like hell should you ever get down to your backing. i hope i never do, i only have 8 lb underneath my braid!
Jerry Newman
Posted 4/14/2012 1:30 PM (#553053 - in reply to #552954)
Subject: RE: Spooling Line

Mad Musky - 4/13/2012 7:13 PM Any tips or techniques for spooling line at home? How much backing are people generally using? Type of knot to join lines?

For trolling I use a full spool on every reel, I only use monofilament now for trolling, but even when I used super line, same deal. The nice part about using full spools with the super line was I could then transfer it to my casting reels... the stuff ain't cheap.

For the casting reels, the amount of backing I use depends on the amount of line available,  I have some reels with full spools, some with three-quarter, and some with half, I just keep spinning the line around until it's basically used up. Obviously you have to use a little bit of mono backing with any superline to keep it from slipping on the spool with a "full spool".

The best way I have found for spooling fresh line is to put a dowel rod through the spool and hold that in your stocking feet on either side with your toes on so you can increase or decrease pressure as needed. When you do this be aware that whatever the spool will setting on could be damaged from the friction. On my casting reels I always tie it off in the yard,  then re-spool it real tight, better casting and less backlashes. If you decide to empty the reel and re-spool tight, you'll need to over fill the reel slightly because everything compresses. 

fishfirst92
Posted 4/14/2012 1:58 PM (#553058 - in reply to #552954)

I use a blood knot when ever I use backing, not just for muskie fishing. I love it and its never failed me yet
TTS
Posted 4/14/2012 2:15 PM (#553060 - in reply to #552954)

I measure out 75yds of braid. Lazer rangefinder works great for this. Reel it on tight. I then tie my backing onto that. Then reel on the backing to fill up the spool. I then walk it all off and reverse it with the backing first. Kind of a pain, but it makes it easy when time to change line. Most spools of braid are 150 or 300yds. Can get two or four changes per spool this way. Always know how many yards are on the line spool too. More than once I thought I had enough line on the spool only to come up short. Tom
Jerry Newman
Posted 4/14/2012 5:51 PM (#553093 - in reply to #553060)

TTS - 4/14/2012 2:15 PM I measure out 75yds of braid. Lazer rangefinder works great for this. Reel it on tight. I then tie my backing onto that. Then reel on the backing to fill up the spool. I then walk it all off and reverse it with the backing first. Kind of a pain, but it makes it easy when time to change line. Most spools of braid are 150 or 300yds. Can get two or four changes per spool this way. Always know how many yards are on the line spool too. More than once I thought I had enough line on the spool only to come up short. Tom

Flipping it around like that with the backing is very clever... I just learned something!  I admit to coming up short more than once on the same reel when reversing the line.