Lake Hopatcong, NJ
catchandrelease
Posted 4/7/2012 7:52 PM (#551556)
Subject: Lake Hopatcong, NJ

Any reports from Hopatcong or other websites/forums where I can read up on the lake? I was there once last year, but I'd like to have more info on it. I couldn't find anything worthwhile through a Google search and didn't find much here. Thinking about making a trip there sometime soon. Any tips or suggestions are appreciated.
fishfirst92
Posted 4/8/2012 12:04 PM (#551677 - in reply to #551556)
Subject: Re: Lake Hopatcong, NJ

Talked to a guy who was their the other day. He said Woodport was barely 50 degrees and they found 54 degree water in Byram. They did catch any musky and had only raised one. I myself haven't been there yet, but I plan on it very soon. As for websites and stuff I don't think there really is a good one about musky fishing. There is a forum site. Try njfishing.com and go to message board and the freshwater message board. Its so hard to register you get put on a waiting list, but guys do post stuff about hopatcong musky. Its the best I know of. Sorry C&R if I do find one though ill let you know what it is.

Brandon

Edited by fishfirst92 4/8/2012 12:17 PM
catchandrelease
Posted 4/8/2012 12:24 PM (#551683 - in reply to #551556)

Thanks for the report. Information is really hard to come by for muskies in the lake. Any places you would suggest to start at? I have a map so I can find area names, but I don't know the lake very well. We went in knowing almost nothing last year and didn't stay long with a jet.

Where's the best and/or cheapest place to launch a deep v? We put in at the state park last year for $10. I'd prefer it to be cheaper, but I know there are places that charge more than that. It was the best place we could find in a pinch, but I'd like better info before I make another trip over there.
fishfirst92
Posted 4/8/2012 2:25 PM (#551689 - in reply to #551683)

I would start at Lakes End. I was there and its pretty shallow and has good water. Raccoon island has a large weedbed with some pretty shallow water. I don't know how much weed growth is there now though. I don't real know a whole lot about the strcture but try lakes end and see how you do there.

As for launching I don't know if you'll find anything cheaper than $10. I launch at Lees Marina and it costs $10. There is a marina called Lakes End Marina which would be good if your gonna fish at Lakes End, but I've never launched there. Ill look up some more for you and ill give you some help.
catchandrelease
Posted 4/8/2012 4:01 PM (#551699 - in reply to #551556)

Thanks for the help. I'll check into the places you mentioned. We didn't get to hit the islands last year, but we will definitely fish them this year. Last year we just went under the bridge and fished that little area until we clogged the jet with weeds. We got it cleaned out for the most part, but we didn't want to risk the ride going that far. Never saw a fish, but the weeds looked promising. I'd definitely like to put more time on there.
fishfirst92
Posted 4/8/2012 4:05 PM (#551700 - in reply to #551699)

Yeah the islands are solid too. There are some little rock islands by Raccoon Islands they should hold fish. The weeds are promising in the lake you just gotta put the time in to really find the fish, but that's musky fishing. Ill see if I can scrounge up anymore details on the lake lately. Where you fishing under brady bridge?
catchandrelease
Posted 4/8/2012 4:10 PM (#551701 - in reply to #551700)

Not sure, I think so. Not the bridge by the marina. It was only a few miles from the state park ramp.
fishfirst92
Posted 4/8/2012 6:58 PM (#551717 - in reply to #551556)

Oh alright. To be honest those fish are all over in that lake, but try where we discussed and it should at least yield some follows. When do you plan on going?
catchandrelease
Posted 4/8/2012 7:38 PM (#551731 - in reply to #551556)

Possibly tomorrow if some of the other lakes we'd like to hit don't pan out. Right now it's just a last resort. We'll probably plan for at least one serious trip in May and/or June.
fishfirst92
Posted 4/9/2012 7:30 AM (#551810 - in reply to #551556)

Let me know how you do