Resort or cabin for rent advice on LOTWS Big Narrows Area
dannyg47
Posted 3/26/2012 2:11 PM (#548683)
Subject: Resort or cabin for rent advice on LOTWS Big Narrows Area

Hey guys, my father and I have been staying at the Big Narrrows resort on lotws the past few years. Its a great place but we are interested in a more economical option this summer (mid July) Does anyone know of a resort or a cabin for rent in the Big Norrows area of LOTWS? I know all about Bill Sandy's place and have stayed there a few times as well, but we are looking to hopefully be closer to the Narrows. Any advice would be much appreciated. CRP
50inchGrinch
Posted 3/26/2012 6:23 PM (#548727 - in reply to #548683)
Subject: RE: Resort or cabin for rent advice on LOTWS Big Narrows Area

Besides the higher end resorts, there's not too much for budget stuff in Big Narrows... Turtle Bay, Wiley point, and Crow Rock are some options... But all are somewhat pricey.

If you're looking for cheaper accommodations I recommend staying in Kenora, Ontario. There are several hotels to choose from in town that start at 80$ per room/night. The Anchor Inn and The Best Western are both on the water and have docking available... I caught my biggest fish to date (54.5 x 26) within a 2 minute boat ride of either hotel. The Super 8 is another good choice for quality and price... no water right out front but a 3 minute drive and you're at the launch...

There's a ton of Muskies up here and I can guarantee you're size average will be higher then Big Narrows. Staying in town also gives you the option of launching on the Winnipeg River @ Darlington Bay, which is about a 5 minute drive from the Super 8 and The Anchor.

Edited by 50inchGrinch 3/26/2012 6:25 PM
Posted 3/26/2012 7:43 PM (#548742 - in reply to #548683)

Thank you so much for the advice. I am going to look at all those options. I got a few more questions for you if you don't mind answering. Here is my PersOnal [email protected] if you wouldn't mind hittin me up with yours. Thanks
what?
Posted 3/26/2012 11:45 PM (#548790 - in reply to #548727)

Are you saying that the fish are, on average, bigger near Kenora then Big Narrows? Explain that one please.
Tamarack
Posted 3/26/2012 11:57 PM (#548791 - in reply to #548683)

We are out of Morson, excellent Muskie fishing, remote, $79 a night or $474 for the week. You could bid on a trip to our place as we have donated a package to the Muskie First silent auction. Good luck.

Todd
Ball Cap
Posted 3/27/2012 9:07 AM (#548819 - in reply to #548683)

I've caught my 3rd largest fish in the Big Narrows (48.5"), so I cannot say there isn't big fish in the Narrows.

However, after fishing north of the Narrows for the past few years, I will have to agree that there are bigger fish up north, fatter for sure.

That's just been my experience.
50inchGrinch
Posted 3/27/2012 9:31 AM (#548824 - in reply to #548683)
Subject: Re: Resort or cabin for rent advice on LOTWS Big Narrows Area

It's fairly common knowledge on the lake that Big Narrows average fish is a touch smaller then the big basin fish found elsewhere in the lake (Kenora area, NW Angle, Barrier islands, Whitefish Bay etc). As stated above... definitely fatter/thicker. On the other hand, Big Narrows has a higher density of Muskies... That might explain why the average fish is a touch smaller. I'm not saying that there aren't 54 inch Muskies in Big Narrows, but if you want a bulky fish, I would start elsewhere.

Edited by 50inchGrinch 3/27/2012 9:37 AM
Matt DeVos
Posted 3/29/2012 1:36 PM (#549335 - in reply to #548683)
Subject: Re: Resort or cabin for rent advice on LOTWS Big Narrows Area

There are plenty of fat muskies in the Big Narrows, but generally speaking, I'd agree with Darcy that muskies north of the Narrows and up in the Kenora region tend to be heavier for their length.