March Muskie Madness
Tony Grant
Posted 3/19/2012 10:35 PM (#547112)
Subject: March Muskie Madness

Week One gave guides, clients and lodge guest 51 muskies up to 44 inches. The fish were taken equally trolling and casting in water depths of 2 to 8 feet. Casting 99% of the fish came on Rattlin’Shad and Rattle Traps as close to the banks as we could get. Trolling called for a very short line of 3 to 6 feet using Tuff Shad, Rattle Baits, Baby Depth Raiders, jointed Leo’s and Gregg Thomas’ new lure the GT Bullet Minnow. Placing a 9 inch Sledge close to shore has scored a couple of fish as well near spawning areas.
Week Two gave guides, clients and lodge guest 62 muskies with some big ones of 48 and 48.5. The trolling slowed down for most but Lance Seasor trolled up 21 fish during this period including the largest at 48.5 on a Rattle Trap. Rattle baits still have been the lure of choice and the Fat Belly Rattler has started to produce some nice fish in very skinny water. With water temps climbing rapidly the bite slowed on Saturday and Sunday but will still got some nice fish. Even Mike Moschell caught a big fat 44 on a Rattln’Shad, MUST BE GOOD RIGHT haha. Yesterday we had reports of some muskies squirting eggs in the net which might mean these fish will spawn early??? But who really knows about the spawn here, other fish seem to still have a hard egg mass.
Follow us on Facebook a Ky Muskies and Cave Run Nation.

riverrat09
Posted 3/21/2012 8:15 PM (#547606 - in reply to #547112)
Subject: Re: March Muskie Madness

Nice report. Sounds like some pretty good action...
muskellunged
Posted 3/21/2012 9:07 PM (#547622 - in reply to #547112)

Way to go Lance!

Tony, have you guys experienced more success with the Fat Belly Rattler on a straight retrieve or with pauses?
Thanks in advance, appreciate the report!
tony grant
Posted 3/28/2012 9:21 PM (#549205 - in reply to #547112)
Subject: RE: March Muskie Madness

WEEK 3
Things almost seemed to get better if that’s possible. Mountain Muskie Lodge guest, guides and clients landed another incredible number of muskies. 68 muskies in all up to 44 inches where boated. Bringing our 3 week total nearing 200 muskies landed by our guest. Rattle baits, Fat Belly’s, glides and small crank baits took the most casting while trollers scored fish on Tuff Shad, Depth Raiders, GT Bullet and rattle baits. Extremely hot days have warmed up our waters but it hasn’t slowed the fish just the fishermen. Over the past few days temps have dropped, but fish still biting
tony grant
Posted 3/30/2012 10:30 AM (#549536 - in reply to #547622)

On a light leader move the Fat Belly's as fast as you can. I have some Fat Belly glides that are weighted different and glide real nice with know rattles. I know the Fox Chain has been really been hot on the Fat Belly Rattlers, move them quick. Big fish too from up there on them.
tony grant
Posted 4/1/2012 7:42 PM (#550019 - in reply to #547112)
Subject: RE: March Muskie Madness

March Muskie Madness is over for 2012 ending in an all time high in production. In all 222 muskies were landed by guides, guest and clients of Mountain Muskie Lodge. The months highlight was 2 8 year old boys visiting for spring break with their dads. Both boys landed multiple fish and each got a 39 incher or better. GREAT TO SEE DADS INTRODUCING THEIR SONS TO OUR SPORT. Top muskie for the final week was a 47 taken by Jeff Boggs.
GET MORE INFO AT WWW.KYMUSKIE.COM
jadrian1951
Posted 4/2/2012 9:00 PM (#550274 - in reply to #547112)

222 for 31 days. I don't know how many boats per day and if every day however 7 fish a day no matter how you slice it is very good (even better) in my book. I'll be giving you a visit either fall or next march.