Brainerd area lakes
lhprop1
Posted 3/6/2012 9:32 AM (#543903)
Subject: Brainerd area lakes

I'm the best man in my brother-in-law's wedding and as such, I get to plan the bachelor party. His only request is that we get to fish muskies for the weekend.

Does anyone know of a resort in the Brainerd area on a muskie lake? We'd be looking for a cabin that will accomodate 6-8 guys, be under $800 for the weekend, have boat rental available, and be near a golf course? (The golf course is because there are a few guys who, for reasons beyond my comprehension, don't fish.)

If not, what are some of the muskie lakes in the Brainerd area where we can get some action? My BiL hasn't caught one in 5 years and he really has the itch and both of my brothers are really wanting to catch their first muskies.

Edited by lhprop1 3/6/2012 9:38 AM
AWH
Posted 3/6/2012 9:48 AM (#543909 - in reply to #543903)
Subject: Re: Brainerd area lakes

It depends which direction you want to go from the Brainerd area and how far away you want to stay. Nothing in the immediate Brainerd area for muskies. But there's some waters not too far away. Lots of resort options on Mille Lacs and Leech. Not sure what the resort options are for lakes like Alexander, Shamineau, Cedar or some of the Longville area lakes. I would stay away from Auger's on Shamineau. They prefer their muskies on a stringer. These are your closest options. Or you could try Gull. There's a hand full in there. But you'll likely never see one in a lifetime until we get that one added to one of our future stocked lakes.

Aaron
lhprop1
Posted 3/6/2012 10:09 AM (#543919 - in reply to #543903)

Thanks, Aaron. Park Rapids/Longville area would probably give us better lake options.
short STRIKE
Posted 3/6/2012 12:23 PM (#543958 - in reply to #543919)

Augers on Sham is a nice little resort, with a small lodge/bar on the premises. They rent boats as well... small boats.

Edited by short STRIKE 3/6/2012 12:26 PM
tswoboda
Posted 3/6/2012 12:25 PM (#543961 - in reply to #543903)

Definitely recommend the Longville area. You have a few lakes to choose from for size or numbers. Its a great northwoods atmosphere up there compared to Mille Lacs or sham/alex. Should be less pressure and pleasure boaters on those lakes too. Park rapids is quite a bit further but Mantrap is always a fun lake to spend time on. Lots of structure and good chance at a fish or two....little more pressured though.
crix
Posted 3/6/2012 1:07 PM (#543974 - in reply to #543961)

The lincoln lakes area wouldn't be a bad choice but the fishing can be tougher than some of the more northern lakes but you would only be about 20-25 minutes away from brainerd and have all the criteria you are looking for

Pine Ridge Golf Club Featuring The Ridge Rib & Steakhouse - Championship Golf Course
Food and Entertainment
(218) 575-3300
34500 Hillcrest Rd. Motley, MN 56466

The 18-hole championship golf course at the Pine Ridge Golf Club facility in Motley, Minnesota features 6,449 yards of golf from the longest tees for a par of 73. The Ridge Rib & Steakhouse features a full menu of great tasting food at inexpensive prices.

RESORTS:
Shamineau Acres Resort
Lodging and Campgrounds
(218) 575-2254
34824 Aztec Rd. Motley, MN 56466

Auger's Pine View Resort
Lodging and Campgrounds
lake Shamineau
(218) 575-2100 - Local Phone
(888) 705-5253 - Toll Free
30544 Birch Acres Rd. Cushing, MN 56443

Bear Cabins
lake alexander
7805 Bear Rd
Cushing, MN 56443

Sweetwater Resort - Local Resort
Lodging and Campgrounds
(218) 575-2744
(800) 601-FISH - Toll Free
30174 Azure Rd. Cushing, MN 56443

Campfire Bay Resort - Local Lodging
Lodging and Campgrounds
(218) 575-2432 - Local Phone
(800) 677-7263 - Toll Free
31504 Azure Rd. Cushing, MN 56443

The top 3 are on either lake shamineau or alexander I am pretty sure that both the resorts on sham have small renal boats the one on Alex I dont think does
the bottom 2 resorts are on fish trap lake which does have some muskies in it and is only 5 minutes from either alexander or shamineau and is close to the liquor store and gas station as well... the golf course is only 5 minutes from any of these resorts... I would call to confirm if there are in fact boat rentals at each resort but if you want a better chance at boating a muskie Hire a local guide then you don't have to worry about the rental boat and will have local knowledge as well

I would recommend either Predator guide service or tim andersons big fish hunt those are the guides I see fishing sham and alex the most
VMS
Posted 3/6/2012 2:09 PM (#543986 - in reply to #543903)

Hiya,

for numbers of fish, I would have to say Sunset Bay resort in Longville. The population is high enough you will see a few fish, but overall they are not huge. You can figure the average size to be in the low to mid 30" range, but depending on timing, you can have multiple fish days without issue.

The lake has all the classic structure as well...points, islands, weeds, rocks, humps, etc. All types of baits work, although lime green and black has been a good color for me over the years.

As for golf, Ridgewood Golf Club East of Longville is well kept. It is an 18 hole regulation course and has some variety to the holes as well. The front nine is definitely more challenging than the back, as there are more trees to deal with, and some interesting layouts for some of the holes. Shot placement can be key to scoring well rather than bomb and gouge. The back nine has little variety until you get closer to the clubhouse. Lots of long and straight, but the grass between the fairways will be long....as in British open long...unless it is dry and matted.

The nice thing about the longville area....variety of lakes. Leech is a hop, skip and a jump, as are wabedo, little boy and Inguadona.

Steve
lhprop1
Posted 3/12/2012 2:17 PM (#545515 - in reply to #543903)

Thanks for all the replies. Unfortunately, I'm an idiot. I meant to say Bemidji. I always get those two mixed up.

If anyone knows of any resorts on muskie lakes in BEMIDJI, I'd be appreciative.