I have done a lot of releases-- but
bobbie
Posted 2/9/2012 7:32 AM (#537660)
Subject: I have done a lot of releases-- but

I had a Cubital tunnel release done yesterday on my elbow. Has anybody else had this done. If so how long did it take to get back to work? It is my 2nd day out and I am going nuts. I am afraid M1 and WC are going to be my only form of entertainment for a while.
dtaijo174
Posted 2/9/2012 9:48 AM (#537690 - in reply to #537660)
Subject: Re: I have done a lot of releases-- but

WHAT SHOULD I DO AFTER SURGERY?

Keep the initial cast and incision clean and dry
Once the cast is removed (usually in 2-4 weeks), change the bandages as needed, especially if saturated with blood
Keep the fingers moving - make a gentle fist and hook fist, spread the fingers apart
Avoid bending the wrist forward (toward the palm) for 4 weeks after surgery to let the muscles that insert onto the elbow heal; the M.D. or therapist may provide a wrist support (custom or pre-fabricated) to be worn at all times
Begin gently bending and straightening the elbow once the M.D. approves movement
When the cast is removed, use your arm for light activity, as normally as possible, but respect pain
Once the stitches and cast are removed, begin gently massaging the scar
Use a silicone based scar bandage if the scar is thick, stuck, red or painful
Gradually increase strength activities at 6 weeks post-surgery

POST-SURGICAL THERAPY

Protective splinting with the wrist neutral and the elbow at a 90 degree angle for a short period of time immediately post-surgery
Cleaning and dressing of the incision until healed
The therapist or M.D. may provide a padded elbow sleeve to protect the healing area from re-injury and for comfort. The inside edge of the elbow can remain tender for 3-4 months after this type of surgery
Scar management including massage, the use of scar molds or silicone gel sheeting, ultrasound, hot packs
Swelling reduction techniques including instruction in elevation of the arm, compression wraps, retrograde massage, cold packs
Desensitization techniques for a sensitive scar.
Active motion including tendon and nerve gliding exercises
Strengthening and work conditioning activities beginning at 6 weeks after surgery to tolerance

FAQs

I'm afraid to have the surgery. I've heard that it doesn't help. Why?
Most people who have the cubital tunnel release surgery notice an improvement in symptoms. However, symptoms may not resolve entirely if the compression on the nerve has caused any permanent damage. If this is the case, the surgery may prevent the condition from getting worse but a good result may not be reported.
The person with a "poor" surgical result may be experiencing a "double-crush" injury. The nerves are long, starting up in the neck and branching into the three main nerves into the hand. If the nerve is compromised at one position (for example, the cubital tunnel), the function of the nerve may be compromised at other locations along it's length. Your M.D. may want to pursue further diagnostic testing if symptoms continue.
The M.D. will usually try to make the smallest incision possible to promote a speedier recovery and cause less scarring. In the rare cases that a surgery is not initially a success , a larger incision will allow the M.D. to visualize a greater portion of the tunnel and achieve a more in-depth cleaning around the nerve.
Posted 2/9/2012 10:41 AM (#537701 - in reply to #537660)
Subject: RE: I have done a lot of releases-- but

I destroyed my left fibula last May. Hardware installed, bone grafts, the whole thing. Just had my third surgery a few weeks ago. I was out of commission most of the summer, but managed to fish the fall (with my doctor's permission) in only minor pain. You'll survive. Load up on pain killers as need-be, know your limitations and follow the doctors advice. You're better served to follow the doc's advice and not push beyond what he/she allows- that will suck for a bit while you wait, but will make it so you are fishing this time in two or three years and not still fighting chronic pain because you didn't heal properly.
dtaijo174
Posted 2/9/2012 11:23 AM (#537708 - in reply to #537660)

If you're bored, how about ice fishing?
bobbie
Posted 2/9/2012 11:46 AM (#537713 - in reply to #537708)

not a lot of safe ice around here besides the ice i get with the Windsor. Hoping for a little snow so we can chase coyotes some more I can't shoot but I can still drive.
Homer
Posted 2/9/2012 2:05 PM (#537736 - in reply to #537660)

You could always try reading a book. H
muskie24/7
Posted 2/10/2012 8:18 AM (#537879 - in reply to #537701)
Subject: RE: I have done a lot of releases-- but

Guest - 2/9/2012 11:41 AM

I destroyed my left fibula last May. Hardware installed, bone grafts, the whole thing. Just had my third surgery a few weeks ago. I was out of commission most of the summer, but managed to fish the fall (with my doctor's permission) in only minor pain. You'll survive. Load up on pain killers as need-be, know your limitations and follow the doctors advice. You're better served to follow the doc's advice and not push beyond what he/she allows- that will suck for a bit while you wait, but will make it so you are fishing this time in two or three years and not still fighting chronic pain because you didn't heal properly.

Load up on pain killers as need-be, know your limitations and follow the doctors advice.

Take these things as needed only! I've seen way to many people get addicted to these things from surgeries! It starts out innocent, then the next thing you know you can't make it through a day without them! Please be careful!!!!!! Ibuprofin will getter done too!

Just lookin out! Brian

Edited by muskie24/7 2/10/2012 8:20 AM