Avet SX Non-levelwind reels
Farmer Rick
Posted 1/27/2012 9:20 PM (#535246)
Subject: Avet SX Non-levelwind reels

So now that the Tranx is on its way how many of you guys will be dumping your trinidads and other non levelwind reels for one that has it? I kinda got screwed this year like most leftys by Garcia who decided to quit making the 1 series in everything but the winch. I like the 5.4 gears on the toro but did not listen when rumors came out about the discontinued models and blah blah blah you know...

Anyways was thinking about going to an Avet SX 6/4 double geared reel. But wondered if these type of reels are only good for straight retrieve lures. Some guys in past posts( I did do a search) said they rip dogs with them but not many. I'm thinking the high speed would be good for burning big blades and the low speed for slow rolling big spinners and big cranks. I'm either thinking about one of these or a 401TE. I realize the calcutta will be a ton slower but will probably be a better all around reel. I think the extra speed would be good for actually burning and not killing myself. We can't reel like Hulbert in the burning contest all day now can we?

Just looking for a little more insight on the functionality of these non levelwind reels.

Thanks
muskie! nut
Posted 1/27/2012 9:48 PM (#535248 - in reply to #535246)
Subject: Re: Non-levelwind reels

Farmer Rick - 1/27/2012 9:20 PM
I like the 5.4 gears on the toro but did not listen when rumors came out about the discontinued models

Then order spare 5.4:1 gears and you can convert any winch into the other reel. I'm sure pikemaster can chime in and tell what parts you need.
PIKEMASTER
Posted 1/27/2012 10:01 PM (#535250 - in reply to #535248)

muskie! nut - 1/27/2012 9:48 PM

Farmer Rick - 1/27/2012 9:20 PM
I like the 5.4 gears on the toro but did not listen when rumors came out about the discontinued models

Then order spare 5.4:1 gears and you can convert any winch into the other reel. I'm sure pikemaster can chime in and tell what parts you need.

it will depend on the # on the bottom of the Toro what gears U will order from ABU. U will need the Pinion, Main Gear, and maybe a Pinion holder based on the # on the reel seat. Best thing is call ABU and they will tell U what parts U will need and if they are in stock.
Farmer Rick
Posted 1/27/2012 10:55 PM (#535256 - in reply to #535246)

There is nothing wrong with the toro that I have. I have not worn that one out yet. Im looking at getting a new reel and kicking around some different ideas... about these other reels
Farmer Rick
Posted 1/29/2012 7:54 PM (#535551 - in reply to #535246)
Subject: Re: Avet SX Non-levelwind reels

TTT, Sorry was jsut hoping for a few more replies before getting buried...
JKahler
Posted 1/30/2012 12:59 AM (#535595 - in reply to #535246)

I heard Avet was coming out with a level wind version this year. Rumor or true, I'm not sure.
Flambeauski
Posted 1/30/2012 9:47 AM (#535627 - in reply to #535246)

I debated getting the 2 speed but ended up going with the single speed 5.3. Half a season of use and I really like it. Outcasts all my levelwinds. I'm able to rip dawgs with it and you can do whatever speed you want with blades but I can't rip crankbaits with it. Solid reel and I really like the drag adjustments you can make. Mine is also a MC, that may aid in casting distance.
CU301DSV
Posted 1/30/2012 11:44 AM (#535641 - in reply to #535246)

I just bought an Avet JX with MC from Titan. He explained to me that the second speed is not needed for fresh water fishing, it's an extra cost and adds more weight. Plus I already own a Revo Toro Winch for slower speed stuff.
Farmer Rick
Posted 1/30/2012 4:48 PM (#535689 - in reply to #535246)

The reason that I was thinking about the two speed was because I do not have a winch. I could get the two speed sx with the MC for about ten more dollars than a toro winch. The low gear has the same amount of line pick up as the winch at 21" and the high speed has 36". according to the dimensions the sx is smaller than a garcia 6500 with more line capacity... The single speed is right at 30" per crank. If you go up the the mx size the single speed you can get 38" per crank. I like the idea of the smaller easier to handle sx though
Thanks for the input