Best GPS map for Lake Vermilion (MN)
Storm Strike
Posted 1/26/2012 10:23 AM (#534932)
Subject: Best GPS map for Lake Vermilion (MN)

Looking to upgrade the Lowrance x15 unit on the console and would like to replace it with the best map available for Big V.

Also would love to not have to break the bank---anything under 300.00 dollars? But would listen to something that was more...

Have not done any shopping or research yet so any practical help would be appreciated.

Mainly fish the West end but would love to have the security of a detailed map on the East end where I do not know my way around at all.

Thanks in advance.
GMan
Posted 1/26/2012 11:26 AM (#534947 - in reply to #534932)
Subject: RE: Best GPS map for Lake Vermilion (MN)

I think you might be a little unrealistic unless you are willing to go with a used model. Both Lakemaster and Navionics make a good mapping chips of Lake Vermilion, and you will get opinions favoring each for various reasons, e.g. Lakemaster has finer contours, but Navionics, with the abilitiy to set distinctly different colors at a certain depth range permits you to view the overall break lines easier, etc. However, either of these chips will eat up most of your $300 budget in cost not leaving you anything to upgrade your Lowrance unit itself, if that is what you wanted. As guys are jumping into the latest and greatest electronics units though, their old chips and units should be available at an appropriate "used discount," so keep your eyes open. Good luck.