Trolling gear...
TC MUSKIE
Posted 1/24/2012 3:08 PM (#534653)
Subject: Trolling gear...

I'm going to try trolling next season. I have read of people using cheap fiberglass catfish rods. Will these get the job done? Which brand/action of those do you prefer?

also are there any clamp-on rod holders out there that aren't as expensive as the downeast saltys?

thanks.
Lucky Craft Man
Posted 1/24/2012 4:33 PM (#534666 - in reply to #534653)
Subject: Re: Trolling gear...

I don't troll much, but when I do, I use Shimano TDR Rods. I never had an issue with them and they won't break the bank. Though, I do want to reiterate, that I am not a trolling expert and may do it once a year. The rods held up nicely to the few fish I have caught on them.
biggamex1
Posted 1/24/2012 4:44 PM (#534667 - in reply to #534666)

TC Muskie, We make some of the best trolling rods on the market. Custom X Rods are specifically made to handle the rigors of musky fishing. If you would like to learn more please contact me. Chuck DiVito
tuffy1
Posted 1/24/2012 8:29 PM (#534717 - in reply to #534667)

You can use the catfish rods, or the TDRs, and Okuma makes a mooching rod that I use as well (doubles very nicely as a dipsy rod too if you fish for the silver fish). As long as they can take a beating, they will work for you.

As far as rod holders, I wouldn't skimp there as if you don't use good holders, you're eventually going to loose a rod due to how hard some baits pull and also how hard the fish hit the bait especially when trolling at higher speeds. Keep your eye out in the for sale ads as the Down Easters come up for sale every once in a while (ebay may have some as well at good prices). I've heard good things about Folbes as well, but they run about the same as Down Easters as well I think.
Zib
Posted 1/24/2012 9:45 PM (#534729 - in reply to #534653)
Subject: RE: Trolling gear...

A good cheap trolling rod is the Ugly Stik Tiger Rod.