Weighting an Unweighted Suick
catchandrelease
Posted 1/21/2012 10:18 PM (#534219)
Subject: Weighting an Unweighted Suick

I have a 7" unweighted Suick and I hate how buoyant it is. How would you suggest I weight it so it dives a little deeper and to get some more hang time?
bigbite
Posted 1/21/2012 11:22 PM (#534228 - in reply to #534219)
Subject: RE: Weighting an Unweighted Suick

I saw this explanation of "how to" awhile ago on this site and it works. I've used it myself:
I've done this to a couple of my suicks. I like to add weight to the front and back end of the bait to keep it horizontal, but make it sink.

Placement of the weight is key to keeping it horizontal. Put an unweighted suick in a sink full of water. Attach some double sided tape to 2 egg sinkers, 1/4 to 3/4 oz. depending on how fast you'd like it to sink. Stick the sinkers on top of the bait, one towards the front and one towards the back, and move them around until you get the bait to maintain a horizontal placement while it slowly sinks. Mark the location, and drill from the belly up based on the mark on top. Drop the sinkers in and seal.

You can also play with the weight to give the bait a nose down or nose up presentation. You get some pretty funky action, but overall I like the horizontal presentation for maintaining a consistent back and forth chopping action.

find the best way to weight a suick is to wrap solder around the hook shanks, this way after they start taking on water and start sinking you can remove some of the solder and adjust the bouyancy, also the hook hangers are already centered so the weighting will be to, on the plus side you won't ruin any baits from drilling and pouring by trial and error, as well as you can remove all the solder and restore them to original form.
Posted 1/22/2012 1:25 AM (#534233 - in reply to #534219)

catchandrelease - 1/21/2012 10:18 PM

I have a 7" unweighted Suick and I hate how buoyant it is. How would you suggest I weight it so it dives a little deeper and to get some more hang time?

dont be a cheap ass,buy a new weighted one
2labradors
Posted 1/22/2012 7:53 AM (#534240 - in reply to #534219)
Subject: Re: Weighting an Unweighted Suick

Like bigbite said you can use solder on the hook shanks, also the way I do it is to use screw in inserts behind the front and back hooks so you can also add and remove weights as needed, another option is to a weighted leader like the ones stealth makes. You can get alot of different actions on suicks by changing the weights around.
Marshall
Posted 1/22/2012 8:05 AM (#534241 - in reply to #534219)

Just use bell sinkers on the front hook split ring. Fast, easy and "on the water" changeable. I think i settled on 3/8 oz on my favorite one. You also get to benefit from a deeper presentation if thats what they are looking for. Go buy one of those assortment packs in the round plastic case and you're set.
knooter
Posted 1/22/2012 8:08 AM (#534243 - in reply to #534233)

Check out a weighted version and measure how far behind the front hook hanger they put the factory weight. That's a good starting point. Drill out a 5/8" hole about 2/3's of the way through the body. Add small split shots to the hole and tape around the bait to keep them in. Add or subtract weight until you have the bouyancy you want. Make sure the bait is dry, then use some epoxy to glue in the weights. If you want to get fancy and color match the hole to the belly, just add a drop or two of paint to the epoxy as you mix it. If you can't get enough weight in the first hole, either drill one directly behind the first or melt some lead into the hole instead of using split shots. I did this to a 12" Suick that I hated. It took some tweaking, but I got the action I prefer out of my Suicks.
missourimuskyhunter
Posted 1/22/2012 10:42 AM (#534278 - in reply to #534219)

Take a bell sinker,cut the brass insert/hanger off, and tap with a hammer on a hard surface till it's shaped like a very thick dime shaped weight. It will be the right dimensions for a suick and you can pick the size you want.
muskihntr
Posted 1/22/2012 11:08 AM (#534281 - in reply to #534219)

Lots of good ideas, you can also try a weighted leader.

Zoom - | Zoom 100% | Zoom + | Expand / Contract | Open New window
Click to expand / contract the width of this image
(weighted leaders.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments weighted leaders.jpg (8KB - 150 downloads)
DonPursch
Posted 1/22/2012 11:44 AM (#534288 - in reply to #534281)

Hers what you do drill a hole just be hind the front hook and pour lead in it half inch hole it will be almost 3/4 of an ounce then take all the paint off the bottom side and put it in a milk carton or your live well let it soak up the water for maybe a week and you will end up with a Suick that is neutral buoyant and will run down about 5-6 ft it's a thing of beauty been doing it for years even deeper put the next size bigger hooks on the front and back then you have a great bait hang on to the rod using this thing if you know what I mean good luck. Don
Dirt Esox
Posted 1/22/2012 11:58 AM (#534289 - in reply to #534219)

I agree with Marshall...why spend more time and energy on something so simple, clip a bell sinker on the front hook and go, play with different sizes to find the desired bouyancy. You can also clip a smaller weight on the second hook to give it a different action.
Old Guy
Posted 1/22/2012 2:08 PM (#534305 - in reply to #534219)

To Don Pursch
Great idea, thanks. On another post you mentioned using about 2 ounces of lead on a brown suick to get it down as opposed to 3/4 oz.
Would this be for a super-deep runner?
Link is here, post #11:-

http://muskie.outdoorsfirst.com/board/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=67...
DonPursch
Posted 1/22/2012 2:28 PM (#534307 - in reply to #534305)

How much? It really depends how aggressive you want to get with the drill. Over the years I have gone through several baits that never got wet because I went to deep . Angle the drill to make a cavity so they lead won't fall out and you can get more lead in there also cup the tail around your thumb so it's curved that also adds a little something to you bait .i guess it's all what you are looking for the bait to do i want my bait to run deeper and to be neutral buoyant in the water. Oh and another tip when you buy one look at all the colors or the one you want to buy and pick the one with screw eye the highest up on the nose of the bait they are not always constantly put in the same and right out of the box you will have one that will run deeper. Also make sure the tail is level not higher on one side or the other if it's at an angle it will never run straight no matter what you do to it.Its just a lot of fun doing these thing to a great lure to make them even better hope I helped you out thank I always love talking muskies been doing it along time. Don
Old Guy
Posted 1/22/2012 2:46 PM (#534308 - in reply to #534219)

Excellent...thanks.
DonPursch
Posted 1/22/2012 2:52 PM (#534309 - in reply to #534308)

Any time