Cabela's lifetime guarantee?
Posted 1/6/2012 9:47 AM (#531580)
Subject: Cabela's lifetime guarantee?

I was reading on Cabela's website that all Cabela's brand merchandise has a one year guarantee. Didn't it used to be a lifetime guarantee?
I have one of there underwater cameras that has gone on the fritz for the umpteenth time.
Posted 1/6/2012 11:06 AM (#531587 - in reply to #531580)
Subject: RE: Cabela's lifetime guarantee?

Yes, I believe most things were lifetime. They started putting certain product types on special warranties a few years ago. I don't know what customer service is like now, but they used to be phenomenal. If you have an issue I would go in and seek advice. You may be grandfathered into the lifetime warranty if the product is older.
Former Employee
Posted 1/6/2012 1:26 PM (#531607 - in reply to #531580)

Their customer service was second to none and they even listed as one of the top 100 employers one year. This was while Dick and Jim owned it. Once the company went public thats when they started going down hill in the customer service area. They refuse returns unless it is within 30 days and accompanied with a receipt. The item also has to be unused. Defective products get sent back to the manufacturer by you and cant be returned to Cabelas. Granted this is the same situation experienced by consumers at many retail stores throughout the country. In the past customer service is what Cabelas valued this highest. The company was founded on making the customer happy and feel appreciated. Now they could care less about your shopping experience.
I was at the one in Owatonna this past weekend. There were two guys covering 4 departments. Good luck finding anyone to help you as well.
edalz
Posted 1/6/2012 2:14 PM (#531613 - in reply to #531580)
Subject: Re: Cabela's lifetime guarantee?

Sad to see Cabelas lose their ability to provide service. I used to love that place.
Flambeauski
Posted 1/6/2012 2:21 PM (#531617 - in reply to #531580)

That's what happens when customers abuse the service plans. I'm sure no one here would admit to using a product for 2 years and then bringing it in for exchange but people were doing exactly that, so they had to clamp down. They still have one of the best service plans out of all the big box stores, they just aren't suckers anymore.
DonPursch
Posted 1/6/2012 2:31 PM (#531618 - in reply to #531617)

Well said
Former Employee
Posted 1/6/2012 3:14 PM (#531625 - in reply to #531580)

Actually customer returns that were worn to a point of being unidentifiable were an insignificant percentage of the returns I saw. I was usually the one that had to go up and try to find them in catalogs. The majority of all the well used returns were pro rated so the customer was not receiving full retail price.
This is not an issue of the return policy being abused and therefore being changed. It was decided to change the entire operation by the shareholders that are now in charge of the company. The almighty dollar trumps everything.
edalz
Posted 1/6/2012 4:47 PM (#531638 - in reply to #531580)

I am sure there was abuse and they should have singled those folks out and said they can not return stuff anymore. Instead they threw the baby and the bath water out. I was willing to pay full retail and Cabelas prices for the added service but now I would rather roll the dice online and pay the inital lower price. In the long run the lack of service and not backing their products will hurt them.
Tackle Industries
Posted 1/6/2012 6:20 PM (#531650 - in reply to #531638)

First off I have never had but great service from Cabelas but I have also not been to one in about 2 years due to my job change and not having one near me. I really hope they are not going down that path of crappy customer service. I for one have an extremely hard time returning to a store that does not respect my money and me being a customer. Wal-Mart in the late 80s and 90s started to go down the wrong path and they soon realized they made billions for Target and other retailers due to driving customers away. Well, from my business studies that was enough to really put Target on the map and Target has only gotten larger since then BUT Wal-Mart did learn and IMO they returned to almost as good of customer service as they once had. You would think most of these big boys would see what happens when they don't take care of customers but reduction in spend can cause bad decisions to be made that will affect a business long term. On a good note I do have a Bass Pro about 50 miles away form me and I have only had great service from them. I hear they may build a monster store in Minneapolis. I hope they do.
North of 8
Posted 1/6/2012 8:42 PM (#531671 - in reply to #531650)

I shop the Cabela's north of Milwaukee and have been happy with their customer service. Unfortunately, folks today want great, personal customer service, incredible inventories and oh yeah, the cheapest possible price. The reality is that customer service is expensive. I buy a lot of hardware products and much of what I buy comes from a True Value store, where I pay more than I would at Menards or Lowes. The reason is that I value and am willing to pay for customer service. A couple years ago I had small problem with a 10 year old recip. saw. They fixed it in house and didn't charge much at all.

Again, as always, you get what you are willing to pay for. You want Wal Mart prices, then expect Wal Mart customer service.
reelman
Posted 1/6/2012 8:54 PM (#531673 - in reply to #531580)

Unless it was clearly stated I can not believe a lifetime warranty on an electrical device like an underwater camera.

I rememebr one time I was in he Cabelas in Sydney NE. and a guy came in to return a LEatherman tool that was beat so bad they had a hard time reading the brand name engraved in the side of it and they gave the guy a new!
Allstate48
Posted 1/6/2012 9:40 PM (#531677 - in reply to #531580)

I'll drive 6 hrs. to the Cabelas in Owatonna just for the service. We have one about 85 miles away, and a BPS the same, and they aren't the best on knowing their product. BPS is really bad, IMOA. I'm a true believer in Cabelas. Doug