Help with Musky Lures
nebrwalleye
Posted 1/5/2012 7:24 PM (#531531)
Subject: Help with Musky Lures

As I've mentioned in previous posts, I'm new to musky fishing and on top of that I will probably only get to go a few times a year. Said I wasn't going to spend a ton of money on things and I did fine buying a couple of rod/reel setups. But as far as the lures go, I'm finding you could easily spend $500 quickly and have a whole bunch of nothing that really don't catch fish. I've read Musky Hunter magazine for a while and it's clear that there are a lot of baits out there that I should leave alone.

I'm not going to buy a whole rainbow of colors. Pretty much have have decided what I'll buy as far as colors go. But I'd like to know from you guys if you could have only a few (5 or so) types of baits that consistently produce for you, what would they be. Heres what I'm thinking:
-big plastics>bulldawgs or meduszas
-spinngers and double bladed spinners>cowgirls & some small ones to burn shallow
-jakes & suicks
-topwaters & shallow divers: here I'd like to stick with a "line" of baits. I'm thinking Joe Buchers Topraiders, etc.

What am I missing or what should I leave out? Colors I was thinking whites and blacks, (depending on the day), brown, walleye, perch / bluegill (or whatever baitfish are present).
Lemme know your thoughts.

Thanks for any help
kid coulson
Posted 1/5/2012 7:31 PM (#531532 - in reply to #531531)
Subject: RE: Help with Musky Lures

Toss in a glider, good release tools, and Id say you got the basics covered. Well done!
Posted 1/5/2012 8:09 PM (#531537 - in reply to #531531)

I've been musky fishing for 2 yrs now and 80% of the fish ive caught were on gliders, get some phantom softtails and maybe a hellhound or 2 and ur set!
Posted 1/5/2012 8:55 PM (#531543 - in reply to #531531)

Can you specify what rods/reels you bought? The lure types you mentioned are good. What rods/reels you have will determine what you're able to use. If you got advice here you should be fine, though.
mrmatt
Posted 1/5/2012 9:36 PM (#531548 - in reply to #531531)
Subject: Re: Help with Musky Lures

Got to have a black suick. I buy other colors, but a black suick is always on a rod in my boat. Silver blade/black bucktail in a few sizes are good also. Those colors are good in most water.
Ronix
Posted 1/5/2012 9:57 PM (#531550 - in reply to #531531)

x2 on the release tools...for plastics im real partial to tubes myself...but definitely gliders as well
nebrwalleye
Posted 1/6/2012 6:21 AM (#531561 - in reply to #531531)

Found my rods all on end of season clearance. needed telescoping for my rod locker. Actually got 3 rods. 2 are Ticas. Heard of complaints that they may break, but for the price I'll take a chance. Normal price is $149 from Rollie & helens - found these at Sportsmans Guide for $59 each! One is for 2-4 oz lures, other is for 2-8 oz. Last rod is a 9'3" Okuma EVX musky rated for 4-16 oz lures. Reels are Abu Reccords w/power handle - $109 each
Ronix
Posted 1/6/2012 8:29 AM (#531571 - in reply to #531561)

those are solid setups, i had a record 61 with power handle very dependable reel. ive heard nothing but good things about that okuma model. Ive had telescoping rods never once had any issue with them. sounds like youre set up nicely and good to go! get some dive and rise jerks too like sledges (plastic) or Lunge Lumber Lures (wood)
muskie! nut
Posted 1/6/2012 8:40 AM (#531573 - in reply to #531531)

The only thing I would add is to try lures. Get involved with Muskies, Inc if possible, many members are very helpful and you can get to try their baits and then get the ones you like how they work.
DonPursch
Posted 1/6/2012 9:01 AM (#531574 - in reply to #531573)

Start with a hand full of the stand by bait and good tools and just see what they want on your body of water they will let you know what they want and go from there
MuskieMike
Posted 1/6/2012 10:14 AM (#531583 - in reply to #531531)

For cranks I would go with Depth raiders and a couple 9 inch big games over the jakes. Get one natural (shad or perch) one bright (orange tiger or firetiger) of each.
The Swan
Posted 1/6/2012 10:21 AM (#531584 - in reply to #531531)

What about mid-depth and deeper diving crankbaits? I would put it that the beginner's best percentage lure types are crankbaits and bucktails, in that order. If I was advising a newbie on lures, I would advise him to get a copy of Saric & Heiting's book on Musky Hunting. They analyze lures types and point you to those with good track records. On colors, try and figure out with the skis in your waters are feeding on and go there, to start. In southern reservoirs gills and crappies may be the main forage; further north, perch and suckers. It isn't hard to figure out. Study it before you shell out the cash. Ask somebody in your neck of the woods what they like; and why.
newmuskyz
Posted 1/6/2012 10:34 AM (#531585 - in reply to #531584)

black is great for sure, but i cant leave the house without a firetiger. I carry one in my truck glove box...hahahhaha it is a great color once you develop confidence. get yourself some hoosier handmade gliders from Don Slagle. he makes a variety of sizes and colors and they are great gliders that just plain produce.
esoxaddict
Posted 1/6/2012 11:35 AM (#531592 - in reply to #531531)

I could fish for the rest of my life, on most waters, during most times of the year, with these 10 lures:

1. Double 10, black
2. Straight Depth Raider, Perch
3. Bulldawg/some other swimbait, Walleye
4. Suick, 9" Black
5. Walk the Dog, Black
6. Tail Prop, Black
7. Spinnerbait, Black
8. Shumway Flasher, Black
9. Some sort of Glider, Black
10. Shallow Runing Crankbait, Perch

If you wanted to get fancy, you might get some bright colors of the same lures above. Some places you are better off with the oranges and chartreuse, firetiger, browns and yellows. It all depends on where you fish. But all you really need is to be able to cover different depths and speeds, and different types of presentations so you can get the lure to where the fish are. It's fun to collect lures, but it's a total waste of money. You'll wind up with a dozen or so that have caught fish, and those are the ones you will use. And whenever you do try something else, you'll be wondering if you should be using the ones that have caught fish instead.
Slamr
Posted 1/6/2012 12:50 PM (#531600 - in reply to #531592)

esoxaddict - 1/6/2012 11:35 AM

I could fish for the rest of my life, on most waters, during most times of the year, with these 10 lures:

QUOTE]

Then why do ya bring 400 lures with you?
esoxaddict
Posted 1/6/2012 1:14 PM (#531606 - in reply to #531600)

Interesting question! I bring them because I bought them, and I am determined to use them all at least once before I decide I don't want them. I can't justify selling a lure for $10 that I paid $25 for, when it has never even seen the water.

Hence the advice above. I bought at least 100 lures before I had even CAUGHT a muskie, because I was convinced that the next POS lure was going to be the one the fish couldn't resist, and the reason I didn't catch one the last time I was out was because I was using the wrong lures.
Posted 1/6/2012 2:18 PM (#531616 - in reply to #531531)

I would add in a spinnerbait like a Grinder or Rad Dog.
jdsplasher
Posted 1/7/2012 3:26 PM (#531773 - in reply to #531616)

I feel one of the best muskie baits  a new beginner  can throw is a small size deep diving crank bait. Toss these parallell to a weed edge and hold on. Try one of those diesels from musky train. Great little bait!!!

Zoom - | Zoom 100% | Zoom + | Expand / Contract | Open New window
Click to expand / contract the width of this image
(IMG_0378.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments IMG_0378.jpg (58KB - 164 downloads)
JakeStCroixSkis
Posted 1/8/2012 6:02 PM (#531907 - in reply to #531531)

If I were only going to get out a few times a year I would have just purchased one all purpose type rod/reel combo, then your net/hook out tools then had some more room to buy a few baits. I'd have a couple bucktails(black tail/nickel blades) a topraider(black), a Manta, a believer or jake, a suick and a walleye pattern dawg and I could make due all year prob... Also a weagle or fishstick.
Plunker
Posted 1/8/2012 9:36 PM (#531946 - in reply to #531531)

Id say you've got a pretty solid list there to start out with. Darn close to what I would recommend. There will be plenty of time to buy more lures later.
Beaver
Posted 1/9/2012 7:16 AM (#531976 - in reply to #531946)

I echo the small crankbaits. I use lots of Mike Kings lures in 5". Every fish in the lake will eat them...including muskies. You can learn alot about a lake by throwing a crankbait that dives 10'. The only other lure that beats them all for learning a lake is a jig/Creature combo. I fish them on 3/8 weedless heads and have found some of my favorite spots by doing so.