Oneida County/Moen chain
NortsNskis
Posted 10/16/2011 4:51 PM (#520903)
Subject: Oneida County/Moen chain

Heading up in a week or some with some friends to oneida county. Were staying on the the moen chain...Any information on where we should start?? is this a good numbers lake with a possible size to it too?? pretty new to musky fishing but looking to start a habit of coming up and searching for big northerns and muskies. Suckers readily available...

like everyone new im not looking for honey holes but just a friendly heads up on where to be. If moen isnt worth our time we would gladly search around the county, were there for 5 days so we have time to search.

thanks folks!!!
sworrall
Posted 10/16/2011 4:55 PM (#520906 - in reply to #520903)
Subject: Re: Oneida County/Moen chain

Nice water with all sorts of structure variances, good numbers and a pretty good chance for a good fish. I really like Moen, and do well there in the fall in 4' and less.
NortsNskis
Posted 10/18/2011 9:54 PM (#521250 - in reply to #520903)
Subject: RE: Oneida County/Moen chain

Anything in particular working well?? were going "shopping" for new lures and such, alittle heads up would be nice

A friend of mine at work gave me an old metal tackle box that was his dads. I opened it up and found nothing but musky lures. Mepps musky killers, spoons,suicks, 2 wierd ones i have yet to put a name to, and a eddie bait. Plus an assortment of trebles and bait hooks and such... The best part is that he said its been in his garage since 82 (the year his dad died) and it all looks brand new. Even a bucher shallow raider perch colored was in the box and sealed!!
sworrall
Posted 10/18/2011 10:20 PM (#521256 - in reply to #521250)

Drop by before you head out on the water. I sent you a PM.
NateOz
Posted 10/19/2011 7:17 AM (#521273 - in reply to #521256)

You might want to stop at The Bait Shoppe in Rhinelander for your suckers and talk to Brett. I know there was a small tournament on the Moen Chain a couple weeks ago that he won with a 47.5" and 45.5". I'm sure he would be willing to point you in the right direction. He is also knowledgeable on many other waters in the area.

Edited by NateOz 10/19/2011 9:09 AM
NortsNskis
Posted 10/25/2011 5:41 AM (#521999 - in reply to #521273)

We completed our trip, due to rookie error setting the hook we lost 3 fish but we did manage to get two. Both were 40" and we were happy with that. A group of guys who had been up there had not managed to get anything in almost a week and we landed two fish in 3 days of fishing, not bad if you ask me. especially considering it was our first time fishing for muskies

Zoom - | Zoom 100% | Zoom + | Expand / Contract | Open New window
Click to expand / contract the width of this image
(MUSKY.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments MUSKY.jpg (20KB - 169 downloads)