Brothers lures snap off and fly into water!
toothycritter88
Posted 9/5/2011 10:33 AM (#515125)
Subject: Brothers lures snap off and fly into water!

i have been fishing for musky for years and my brother just got into it a few years ago and we both have the shimano cardiff 300's and we each have abu garcias as well (not sure what models they are but his was more expensive) i use 50lb power pro and he uses like 75-100 and i cant count how many times he goes to cast and something locks up and the lure and leader snaps off and flys into the water. hes probably lost more that 15 lures that way at 20 bucks a piece you do the math... has that happened to anyone else? it has happened to me like once but thats not to bad.
Kirby Budrow
Posted 9/5/2011 10:45 AM (#515129 - in reply to #515125)
Subject: Re: Brothers lures snap off and fly into water!

It's ha[ppened to me a few times when I used power pro. I switched to tuff line and haven't had a problem since.
jranderson
Posted 9/5/2011 10:59 AM (#515130 - in reply to #515125)
Subject: RE: Brothers lures snap off and fly into water!

Sounds like he needs to learn how to tie a palomar knot. The power handle of my 400B sometimes causes the reel to engage mid cast. I've had it happen with pounders quite a bit And I've never lost a bait.
toothycritter88
Posted 9/5/2011 11:05 AM (#515131 - in reply to #515125)

i dont see how it doesnt happen to me when i use lighter line, basically the same reels. and we both do use the palomar knot. im wondering if the reels are engaging while hes casting..
JKahler
Posted 9/5/2011 11:12 AM (#515134 - in reply to #515125)

Does he have a bad guide on his rod? I've used all sorts of lines from the old 36lb dacron to PowerPro, MasterBraid, and never have this issue. If the line gets fuzzy, cut and retie. Tell him to stop "trying" to cast far and learn to just lob the lure. Less backlashes, and easier on my body.
Kirby Budrow
Posted 9/5/2011 11:16 AM (#515136 - in reply to #515125)

Maybe you just know how to cast better. I think since I've gotten better it hasn't happened to me. I remember a few years ago I lost 2 cowgirls in one day on 65 lb power pro. Terrible feeling now I only use 80 for small baits and 100 for large baits. Hasn't happened to me in 2 years. I even had the reel engage mid cast throwing mag dogs and the line held up good. I also noticed that the old suffix frays pretty bad and I had a fish break my line using it. The 832 has been good all year though on my smaller rod.
Pedro
Posted 9/5/2011 11:36 AM (#515139 - in reply to #515125)

I've seen it happen on the lighter lines never on anything 80lb or higher.
muskymartin67
Posted 9/5/2011 12:42 PM (#515152 - in reply to #515125)

Cortland 80lb Masterbraid will solve your problems - unless like the previous guy said- check your rod guides for a crack- that will cut up your line and it will snap -long ago I had it happen twice in a day until I figured it out
2T Critter
Posted 9/6/2011 8:31 AM (#515236 - in reply to #515125)

Have your brother check the eyelets on his rod. My neighbor was famous for donating lures to various lakes in the state, I even watched him pull a bulldawg out of the package and within five casts and "SNAP" never to be seen again. I suggested on numerous occasions to check eyelets and wouldn't you know it each of his rods had at least one knicked up eyelet. He had them repaired and hasn't lost a lure in awhile. Use a Q-tip to check. If there is a knick the cotton from the Q-tip will stick.
CU301DSV
Posted 9/6/2011 8:57 AM (#515240 - in reply to #515125)

I had a lure snap off and fly through the air this past summer. I had noticed that my line was not laying right after I missed a fish and reeled up a ton of slack line in a hurry. Next cast went 30 ft through the air and buried the line so bad into the spool and snapped off. Lost probably more than half my spool of line. Got my Modivator back, not far to go till I found my line floating and pulled it back to the boat by hand.
ulbian
Posted 9/6/2011 10:17 AM (#515250 - in reply to #515129)

Kirby Budrow - 9/5/2011 11:45 AM

It's ha[ppened to me a few times when I used power pro. I switched to tuff line and haven't had a problem since.

I will say the same thing only reverse the two. Problems with tuff line, switched to Power Pro and no problems.

Back to the OP.
How is your brother removing weeds from his baits? Is he simply swinging his rod down and slapping the bait on the water, shaking them off violently or anything else that challenges the integrity of his line, leader, snaps, split rings, etc? I know of guys who used to do this and would have cast offs, broken snaps, etc. but since they stopped it doesn't happen nearly as often.

MartinTD
Posted 9/6/2011 10:32 AM (#515253 - in reply to #515125)

Operator error. It's been quite a while, but I've had 80lb braid snap and lures go flying a couple of times. Learn to truly minimize backlashes and it wont be a problem. Like said, a lot of slack line from a previous cast can be the culprit for a wicked backlash too. Also, karate chop casts do not help at all, often a gentle smooth cast will go just as far.

Edited by MartinTD 9/6/2011 11:09 AM
MACK
Posted 9/6/2011 10:36 AM (#515254 - in reply to #515125)

I'm guessing there's more physics behind this than anything else. Unless of course, the line is old, frayed, and/or nicks in the eyelets like already mentioned. I've seen this happen a lot to guys that get the violent backlashes. The reason we use such heavy-duty braided lines and such heavy duty snaps and heavy duty leaders and heavy-duty split-rings, is not just to fight these fish with. It's moreso to withstand the stress put on the entire system when casting these big, heavy baits time and time again. There is a tremendous amount of inertia placed on those rods, reels, line, leaders, snaps, etc through the casting process. If that whole process comes to an abrupt halt, for whatever reason, maybe it be a backlash or reel engaging, no doubt the g-forces through that process will find the weakest link in the system. This may not have anything to do with one brand manufacture's product over another....80 lb braid whipping a 6 to 16 oz lure through the air in a cast is probably putting a lot more than 80 lbs of stress on that line at that given moment. Add to that fact, that through the process of a backlash...as that line starts to dig into each other...there's bound to be a level of heat added to that line in the way of friction and that too will cause that line to snap right then and there.
AndrewR
Posted 9/6/2011 12:29 PM (#515276 - in reply to #515152)

muskymartin67 - 9/5/2011 12:42 PM

Cortland 80lb Masterbraid will solve your problems - unless like the previous guy said- check your rod guides for a crack- that will cut up your line and it will snap -long ago I had it happen twice in a day until I figured it out

I wish Masterbraid would solve my problems but with this same line I donated a $25 Phantom to the drink last week. Though it's smoother and handles a lot better than waxy Powerpro.

Could be a multitude of reasons why lures end up at the bottom of lakes:

- Rough guides
- Knots in the spool
- Poor casting mechanics
- Terrible and unsecured knots
- Premature engaging of the reel/clutch
- Crappy leaders w/ vulnerable snaps
- Weakening line (caused by knots, overuse, line twist, etc)

I tend to check my line and knots by the hour. Typically if I have any break offs they'll occur within 10 feet of the leader+lure. Most of the time caused by small knots in the spool which prevents it from casting.
gus_webb
Posted 9/6/2011 12:37 PM (#515278 - in reply to #515125)

Does he have a tendency to smoke cigars while fishing?
M RUFF
Posted 9/6/2011 12:40 PM (#515279 - in reply to #515125)

The line may be digging into the sppol. These lines have little stretch, therefore little forgiveness. We make up for this by adding diameter therefore 80# test or more.
Be sure after you fill your spool to tie t the end to something solid like a tree. Then back off from it until you have just the knot on the spools arbor. Rewind onto the spool tightly! hold a very good bend in you rod while doing this, repeat a very strong bend. This is to to pack the line on as ffirmly as possible hold this rod bend all the way to your anchor point. Also, when you are done, be sure to remove the line from thee tree to prevent "strangling' it.
Just my thoughts
jakejusa
Posted 9/6/2011 1:04 PM (#515282 - in reply to #515125)

I've seen this once with one of my reels with 65 lb test. Normally using 80 -100 lb PP. But guys I've shared a boat with have done it numerous times. Two key contributors, one after fighting a fish down that pulled drag pull the line out by hand and look to see if the line dug in on itself. Two, line spooled on the reel loosely. You want the line on the spool tight. I drag my lines about once every two weeks. Merc at low speed forward let the line out with nothing on it. Once out engage the reel this will take the twist out. Reel it back on tight against the forward motion of the boat. A small pain in the kootsba that saves major pains later.
byteme90k
Posted 9/6/2011 3:35 PM (#515305 - in reply to #515125)

happened to me once. Snapped a brand new Berkley leader.....never used those again and have not had it happen since.
Pointerpride102
Posted 9/6/2011 3:45 PM (#515308 - in reply to #515125)

toothycritter88 - 9/5/2011 10:33 AM

i have been fishing for musky for years and my brother just got into it a few years ago and we both have the shimano cardiff 300's and we each have abu garcias as well (not sure what models they are but his was more expensive) i use 50lb power pro and he uses like 75-100 and i cant count how many times he goes to cast and something locks up and the lure and leader snaps off and flys into the water. hes probably lost more that 15 lures that way at 20 bucks a piece you do the math... has that happened to anyone else? it has happened to me like once but thats not to bad.

Sounds like he's just a crappy caster. Time to hit the backyard with some heavy weight that doesn't cost $20+.
sworrall
Posted 9/6/2011 4:41 PM (#515325 - in reply to #515125)

All superlines can be damaged by a serious backlash which ends in an abrupt end to a cast. I've seen a frayed area in the line where it was bound into the side of the spool, too tightly into itself, or worse...damaged while picking out the backlash. Cast a heavy lure again, get the small fray in the air, backlash again...and your lure takes an extended ride.

All brands I've tried which is pretty much every one, all pound tests except 100# I've never used 100# test, can't speak to that.
Fishkabibble
Posted 9/6/2011 9:39 PM (#515364 - in reply to #515308)

Pointerpride102 - 9/6/2011 2:45 PM

toothycritter88 - 9/5/2011 10:33 AM

Sounds like he's just a crappy caster. Time to hit the backyard with some heavy weight that doesn't cost $20+.

Exactly what I was thinking pointer!
swanezy
Posted 9/7/2011 10:56 AM (#515436 - in reply to #515125)

Never had any problems with power pro unless the line was well past the time that it needed to be changed and had been neglected.

Edited by swanezy 9/7/2011 10:57 AM
djwilliams
Posted 9/7/2011 9:10 PM (#515545 - in reply to #515125)

I'll bet he's hitting or moving the reel handle as he's casting. That could be it if he's casting a right handed reel with a right hand at the reel. With the left handed reels my right hand is on the other side of the reel as I cast. The other idea given here is that he's casting too fast. Just trying a slow steady backcast and follow thru letting the weight of the bait cast itself ought to help. I gave my 16 year old that advice this summer and it relieved his continual overruns he wanted to blame on a new rod. He also has a manual brake system that can be adjusted tighter that will control the line off the reel.
muskytom50
Posted 9/8/2011 8:15 AM (#515595 - in reply to #515125)

I had a friend snap off 2 Hughes Rivers and a Marv's spinner bait before I told him to check his rod tip. Sure enough there was a gouge in the top rod eye. Another friend has snapped off at least 20 lures when I have been with him. I am pretty sure it is because he tries to cast too hard and does an over his head whip cast or karate chop like MartinTD said above. The only time I have had it happen is when I was trying to make my line last too long and it started getting a little bit frayed. I use Spiderwire Stealth now and haven't had any issue with line breakage or fraying.
jranderson
Posted 9/10/2011 11:28 AM (#515880 - in reply to #515125)

I just use 150# Power Pro and high quality leaders.
BD
Posted 9/11/2011 4:56 PM (#516011 - in reply to #515545)

djwilliams - 9/7/2011 9:10 PM

I'll bet he's hitting or moving the reel handle as he's casting. That could be it if he's casting a right handed reel with a right hand at the reel. With the left handed reels my right hand is on the other side of the reel as I cast. The other idea given here is that he's casting too fast. Just trying a slow steady backcast and follow thru letting the weight of the bait cast itself ought to help. I gave my 16 year old that advice this summer and it relieved his continual overruns he wanted to blame on a new rod. He also has a manual brake system that can be adjusted tighter that will control the line off the reel.

I have had no problems with 50 lb Power Pro. I have had the rod ripped from my hands by the force of the cast when the reel handle bumped my wrist and stopped the spool dead in its tracks. Lucky for me the rod handle was made of cork and had the buoyancy to stay afloat.
TC24
Posted 9/11/2011 8:46 PM (#516036 - in reply to #515125)

Switch to Tuff line and you wont have this problem!
HomeTime
Posted 9/12/2011 7:33 AM (#516073 - in reply to #515125)

I just lost my dads brand new butcher glitter tail dbl 10 last week. Leader snapped at the curl between the crimp. I knew I should have checked it out better.