Thoughts on how long big female Muskies go between meals in dog days of summer??
detroithardcore
Posted 9/3/2011 9:27 PM (#514990)
Subject: Thoughts on how long big female Muskies go between meals in dog days of summer??

I've heard different theories on the feeding habits of big female Muskies but what's your thoughts on how long big females can go between meals during summer water temps ranging in the 70's?? I'm not referring to reaction strikes but actual feeding? I've listened to several dedicated experts claim anywhere from couple days up to a weeks. There's so many factors involved including forage preference and size of forage but what thoughts do you have on how long big females will go between meals??
leech lake strain
Posted 9/3/2011 9:32 PM (#514991 - in reply to #514990)
Subject: Re: Thoughts on how long big female Muskies go between meals in dog days of summer??

I'm no expert but I dont think even close to going weeks without them feeding, in my opinion there eating daily probably at most a day or two without!
bfunk73183
Posted 9/4/2011 12:35 AM (#515003 - in reply to #514991)
Subject: Re: Thoughts on how long big female Muskies go between meals in dog days of summer??

they eat daily, atleast thats what i think = )

-b-
woodieb8
Posted 9/4/2011 4:58 AM (#515005 - in reply to #514990)

metabolism. hot water is as detrimental as cold waters..
curleytail
Posted 9/4/2011 8:07 AM (#515015 - in reply to #514990)
Subject: RE: Thoughts on how long big female Muskies go between meals in dog days of summer??

I'm certainly no biologist, but I think during the dog days of summer when the water is hot - they are eating more often than ever. Metabolism is cranked up and they need to eat more/more often. If they are in a lake with deep enough water so they can get to the level of the thermocline where the water is near their preferred temp zone, they are feeling good and feeding well.

The warm part of the year is my favorite and most productive time to fish, as long as the water temps stay cool enough that it is safe to fish(not usually a problem where I live).

I would really have no clue, but I feel like most fish eat daily or at least every other day provided some other factors don't shut them down during the warm water periods. Late fall and through winter, I'm sure they can probably go several days without eating, maybe even weeks?

Tucker
Posted 9/4/2011 8:22 PM (#515071 - in reply to #514990)
Subject: RE: Thoughts on how long big female Muskies go between meals in dog days of summer??

Once every 18 hours during peak water temps
horsehunter
Posted 9/4/2011 8:29 PM (#515073 - in reply to #514990)

Big girls don't get fat buy going on a diet. I have caught fish that hadn't finished swallowing their last meal. Possibly reaction strike possibly feeding. Would it be any fun if we had all the answers.
joe1977
Posted 9/4/2011 10:29 PM (#515092 - in reply to #514990)

I dont know if this answers the question, but I have caught the same fish 3 days in a row. she wasn't a monster at 45"s but she sure was aggressive. The first time I caugt her she had a cut hook in her mouth and I removed it so I assume someone had caught her recently. she sure loved black buckails,
musky chimes
Posted 9/13/2011 10:42 AM (#516315 - in reply to #514990)

Big females are bigger in the fall because they dont skip meals . cold blooded animals have to eat to live so not very many of them just stop eating and i believe they eat every day . It is more when they eat thats hard to gauge
MartinTD
Posted 9/13/2011 10:47 AM (#516316 - in reply to #514990)

Last year I got a 43" on a sucker and lost it at the boat... fish swam away with sucker t-boned. 10 minutes later set-up the same drift and caught the same fish (was obvious by a softball size white patch on the side) and landed it that time.

So, I would have to say at least every 10 minutes. If the food is easily available, why not?

Edited by MartinTD 9/13/2011 10:48 AM
dogboy
Posted 9/14/2011 11:28 PM (#516636 - in reply to #514990)

usually they eat once your boat goes by them, but for the most part, theyre eating when youre not on the water,
typically eating when someone else you know is fishing, ravenously eating while youre sleeping,
only takes em a few seconds to eat, the rest of the time is digesting, being lazy, pooping.
knooter
Posted 9/16/2011 7:35 PM (#516904 - in reply to #514990)

I've found that they can go weeks without feeding. At least that's what I'm going with.