Madison Chain with Dad, Late September
mtcook16
Posted 9/3/2011 12:36 PM (#514933)
Subject: Madison Chain with Dad, Late September

I am a student at UW-Madison and itching to get out muskie fishing. In 3 weeks, my dad is going to visit from the TC with the boat. I have never fished the Mad Chain before and am looking for some starting points. I was hoping for some advice on lakes, structure, color, ect. Honestly, anything would help. I am just looking to make the weekend as productive as possible and not waste time doing something that would not work.
bfunk73183
Posted 9/3/2011 12:57 PM (#514936 - in reply to #514933)
Subject: RE: Madison Chain with Dad, Late September

I will be in madison the weekend of sept 24-25 fishing with my dad (he lives in waunakee) great time to be fishing. We will be fishing Mendota/Menona might make it to wauby too

-b-
mtcook16
Posted 9/3/2011 1:28 PM (#514942 - in reply to #514933)
Subject: Re: Madison Chain with Dad, Late September

I have fished Mendota in the winter for pike, but that is it. Are there any muskies in mendota?
mtcook16
Posted 9/3/2011 1:32 PM (#514944 - in reply to #514933)

I was on the WI DNR site. There is conflicting data on if there are muskies in Mendota. Is it worth my time to fish Mendota, or another lake?

Edited by mtcook16 9/3/2011 1:41 PM
mcgeissler
Posted 9/3/2011 2:20 PM (#514947 - in reply to #514933)

I would definitely not waste your time on Mendota. Waubesa, Wingra, or Monona are all good lakes with plenty of fish.
Adam
Posted 9/3/2011 3:41 PM (#514952 - in reply to #514933)

The bottom line, is if you are pushing for just action, hit Wingra... It will be simple enough to breakdown and get on some fish in those few days. If we get some cool nights, the sucker bite can be really good out there, riding the edge of the small basin. (Casting is solid as well at that time). The baits really depend on the water temps at that time.
muskie! nut
Posted 9/3/2011 4:16 PM (#514954 - in reply to #514933)

As far as Mendota goes, it been some time (15 or 20 yr)s since they stocked it with muskies and at that time it was hybrids. That doesn't mean that muskies can't migrate up from Monona as that happens. Its real tough for them to get through the Tenny Park Locks. Cap City embers often see dead ones that tried in the spring when they are on the move getting crushed by the locks. If you are going to fish strictly muskie skip Mendota. They do however have a 40 inch size limit for pike and that reg has been in place for some time, so it a great trophy pike lake.

Wingra is your best shot for fish in the Madison area. Being 300 acres and having a high density, odds are in your favor. Jerks and rubber would be a good bet at that time. As Adam says, the sucker bite gets going about that time as well. About 4 yrs ago they dropped a robot down under the ice to run a net around the basin and drag a net and took a bunch of carp out and did it again the next winter. This has cleared up the lake 4 fold. weeds rarely grew deeper that 5 ft and now are 9 - 10 ft. Running the edges of these weeds would be your best bet. But if seeing nothing, then fish for them over the weeds.

Monona is your best bet for a big one. But its streaky. I have doubled up more times than just getting one. But when its off, you can't buy (or see) a fish there. i have caught them on things from DC10s, to Mepps, jerks and topwaters. Trolling can also be good at times. I have had luck with black/silver bucktails as well as white. Just depends on their mood.

Waubesa is more consistence than Monona and has some good ones there. Its a lot like Monona, but I prefer hotter colors like firetiger and chartreuse colored baits. Also don't rule out orange. Most muskies baits will work here, just have to figure out what they want. Jerks and bucktails are good. Rubber would also work well.

I hope this helps.
figure 8
Posted 9/3/2011 4:27 PM (#514956 - in reply to #514954)

I would recomend hiring a guide it would be money well spent. Then you won't waste valuble fishing time trying to find out whats going on, or fish locations
Good luck
mtcook16
Posted 9/3/2011 4:35 PM (#514958 - in reply to #514933)

This all helps. I guess I should clarify that we would like to go for a bit more size. I have heard that Wingra has many numbers and a few larger ones, but from what I gather I would be better off on Waubesa or Monona. On these two bodies of water, should I be focusing on weed lines near deep water, or mid lake humps? I am just trying to get an idea of what kind of structure to fish. Again, thank you.
mtcook16
Posted 9/3/2011 4:47 PM (#514960 - in reply to #514933)

F8, I appreciate the sugguestion on the guide, but my dad and I were hoping to keep it just he and I.
Kirk
Posted 9/3/2011 5:02 PM (#514965 - in reply to #514933)

Mt if you would like to get out fishing before your dad comes down shoot me an email.
Kirk
[email protected]
Posted 9/3/2011 5:14 PM (#514967 - in reply to #514933)

Your Dad's going to be coming at a great time. Myself and many of the other locals do well every September, especially on Monona, casting topwaters and dbl bladed bucktails. Early to mid September is good with tailbaits but if it cools off like it normally does towards the end of September start trying more creepers, hawg wobbler type baits and walk the dogs. Anywhere that has weeds will have muskies. In September fish from the weed edge all the way to the inside weed edge or shoreline as many times in September the fish will be way up in the weeds. Some general areas to fish are the John Nolen weed edge, Medical Bar, Olin Park weeds, Turville point and Turville bay, Squaw Bay, and the entire east end weeds. I know you have way more potential of catching bigger fish on Monona than Wingra, and probably more fish too at that time of year. Also, night-fishing may help your odds too. Good luck and have fun!
mtcook16
Posted 9/3/2011 5:20 PM (#514968 - in reply to #514965)

e-mailed
bfunk73183
Posted 9/4/2011 12:04 AM (#514998 - in reply to #514968)

id still fish mendota regardless. cast some big stuff, you have a chance at a 45"+ pike, and on lake link you still see catches of muskies reported. also nothing working with the big stuff, cast some spinnerbaits for some huge bass in the weeds = )

-b-
Wimuskyfisherman
Posted 9/4/2011 10:27 AM (#515029 - in reply to #514933)

If you are specifically targeting muskies I concur with most of the others and say stay off Mendota. Yes, occasionally there is an incidental catch of a nice musky, but those are few and far between. For the dates you mentioned, I would say Monona should be your first choice followed by Waubesa. Wingra certainly would be an option if you are just looking for action and not too concerned about size.

John
mtcook16
Posted 9/5/2011 9:14 PM (#515201 - in reply to #514933)

Ok, this sounds great. I think I can definately work with this unless there was anything else anyone wanted to add.