Does color on a top water matter so much?
Dirt1123
Posted 8/28/2011 2:57 PM (#514054)
Subject: Does color on a top water matter so much?

Most top waters cause a disturbance on the water of some sort. I can see a walk the dog lure like a doc or weagle maybe having color matter more if its just sitting on the water. But does color mater much when it comes to top water or would just having all black top waters be a good choice?
Tackle Industries
Posted 8/28/2011 4:20 PM (#514064 - in reply to #514054)
Subject: Re: Does color on a top water matter so much?

IMO not really. Maybe dark for days and lighter colors for night or like you said, just go all black... Colors sell customers, black lures catch fish... If its a black Suick it might even catch two at a time.
muskie! nut
Posted 8/28/2011 8:39 PM (#514096 - in reply to #514054)

Action trumps color.
Shamrocker
Posted 8/28/2011 9:30 PM (#514109 - in reply to #514096)

Funny you brough that up we were in a small muskie tournament this past weekend and the lake we are fishing on we usually do good with dark color top water baits (the lake has extremely dark water) and by 8:00 we hadnt raised any fish we ran across a couple guys we know and heard they had put a little muskie in the boat so I had asked the guy what he was using and with this being his first time muskie fishing he nicely said "I dont know this minnow looking thing" I replied "what color is it" he replied " bright green and yellow" So what do you think my boat did we switched from black top raiders to fire tiger top water baits and went on to raise 8 muskies through out the rest of the day and boated 2, we went on to win the tournament, I would have to say color made a difference yesterday.

Edited by Shamrocker 8/28/2011 9:53 PM
Jsondag
Posted 8/28/2011 9:37 PM (#514111 - in reply to #514096)

muskie! nut - 8/28/2011 8:39 PM

Action trumps color.

Agree totally, but I think color can be a factor between a follower and a biter. In MN clear water lakes I get way more follows on bright colors and way more eaters on dark ones.... The times I fished stained water in WI In the past, I have had a lot of strikes on bright stuff like chart and clown, etc. In canadian water, I get bit on whatever makes the best sound... But black usually gets the nod.
BNelson
Posted 8/29/2011 9:44 AM (#514147 - in reply to #514054)

90% of my topwaters are black / loon colored / or black orange.... I think there are times color might matter ..so I have a few bright ones just in case... action and the sound of the topwater matters more to me...
CASTING55
Posted 8/29/2011 1:51 PM (#514188 - in reply to #514147)

color is for the fisherman not the fish,but black is always a safe bet
Sam Ubl
Posted 8/29/2011 4:36 PM (#514239 - in reply to #514054)

I consider colors quite a bit when I'm on the water. The old "hold your hand up to the sky" theory makes sense to me, so I use that notion. The calling power of commotion or sound is in my opinion the loudest dinner bell and might be the difference maker in converting a window shopper into a buyer, but I think color can mean the difference between foggy windows or clear. Basically, I believe that a silhouette or visual profile could potentially give the fish a target to zero in on rather than an accidental swing and a miss. Me and my theories... but it's what increases my confidence when I'm throwing so I'll keep on keepin' on.

...I should edit in, like Brad, 90% of my TW lures are black, loon, or black and orange or black and chartruesse.

Edited by Sam Ubl 8/29/2011 4:39 PM
JKahler
Posted 8/30/2011 12:02 AM (#514320 - in reply to #514054)

Most of my topwaters are black & orange. Red, pink, yellow, have worked well for me also. I don't think it matters as much as with blades.
leech lake strain
Posted 8/30/2011 6:22 PM (#514419 - in reply to #514054)

I'm surprised there was'nt many people saying white, there was a thread i believe a yr or so back and it was something just like this and everyones was white!!!
Posted 8/30/2011 7:36 PM (#514426 - in reply to #514239)

Sam Ubl - 8/29/2011 4:36 PM

I consider colors quite a bit when I'm on the water. The old "hold your hand up to the sky" theory makes sense to me, so I use that notion. The calling power of commotion or sound is in my opinion the loudest dinner bell and might be the difference maker in converting a window shopper into a buyer, but I think color can mean the difference between foggy windows or clear. Basically, I believe that a silhouette or visual profile could potentially give the fish a target to zero in on rather than an accidental swing and a miss. Me and my theories... but it's what increases my confidence when I'm throwing so I'll keep on keepin' on.

...I should edit in, like Brad, 90% of my TW lures are black, loon, or black and orange or black and chartruesse.

What is the hold your hand up to the sky theory?
Mullhead
Posted 8/30/2011 7:54 PM (#514428 - in reply to #514426)

Ask the guy w/the net if color matters. I believe it does. Black and Firetiger are best.
Sam Ubl
Posted 8/31/2011 8:37 AM (#514471 - in reply to #514054)

Guest, try it sometimes. Better yet, hold a dark lure versus a bright lure up to the sky under sunny conditions and again under a dark overcast sky. Bright colors tend to hold their profile more and bling under sunny skies versus earthy tones, like your hand. Under a dark overcast sky, your hand will profile much more than it did against the sunny sky. Take a look at a chartruesse or firetiger lure under an overcast sky and watch it blend in..

There are tons of theory on color and even more factors to consider; water color/clarity, sunny vs overcast, dusk and dawn vs mid-day, sun angle (is it at your back or are you casting at it), and many more... One thing I consider is that a moving lure is a blur, so as to say, a fish will catch glimpses of a moving lure, but to think of the lures profile as a perfect silohuette is stretching it. I think the main ingrediant to considering color is to choose colors based on the conditions you have to work with that will appear the most visual based on shades of grey. If you (and the fish) had black and white vision like a black and white TV, what shades would emit the loudest profile under the conditions?

I think when it comes down to it, as a fish approaches a lure, they gravitate more towards feel than they do the sight. Think for a moment about the last time you were throwing a Top Raider and had a fish build an increasingly large wake behind your bait. You're running out of room now and wondering when in the heck the fish is going to just eat the darn thing. You get the bait to the boat and as go into your first turn at your feet, the fish turns hard and leaves boiling water at boatside. I assume the follower, being directly behind the lure, was following then based on feel since their eyes are on top of their head and the lure was certainly not above them at that point, BUT YOU WERE. This is where the sun at your back could have helped blur you out a little by breaking up your profile..

See, lots of factors to consider, but an excellent discussion peice. I'm surprise more aren't weighing in here. C'mon, for once we're not talking musky politics, lol.
Moltisanti
Posted 8/31/2011 9:38 AM (#514478 - in reply to #514054)

Firetiger and black/orange have been the two colors that have produced the most fish by a landslide for me. But at some point, it just becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy, since I throw those two colors almost exclusively.
IAJustin
Posted 8/31/2011 9:39 AM (#514479 - in reply to #514471)

I for one dont think it makes a bit of difference for topwater. I dont generally throw topwater unless there is some wind... Walk-the-dog I almost always throw white not for the fish...but so I can see it better... thus able to see the lure is getting the correct action to catch fish. Tailbaits I throw the rainbow - they all catch fish...when fish want tailbaits

I guess i've just seen too many days when we have identified the fish want WTD type baits - I throw white & partner throws black..we both are catching fish and having the same amount of action.

Edited by IAJustin 8/31/2011 10:06 AM