Any tips for musky hunting alone?
Jobu
Posted 8/9/2011 11:38 AM (#511068)
Subject: Any tips for musky hunting alone?

While I am already FULLY AWARE that musky fishing alone can be a dangerous propostion-----I was wondering if anyone has any thoughts/tips on the topic. Jobu
bassinbob84
Posted 8/9/2011 11:49 AM (#511072 - in reply to #511068)
Subject: Re: Any tips for musky hunting alone?

I fish alone 90% of the time. I change baits often until I know what works. You don't have the benefit of a dummy caster to give them a variety. Keep the net close to you and figure out a netting style that works for you. I hold the net in the water and use the rod to drag the fish into the net. I know of a guy that puts his net between his knees and swings them in. That works well for him but not me. I am too tall.
Zib
Posted 8/9/2011 11:52 AM (#511073 - in reply to #511068)
Subject: RE: Any tips for musky hunting alone?

Be sure to have your release tools, hook cutters, cell phone etc. within in reach. Use some hook proof gloves.

Be sure to know how to use the self timer on your camera for pics of the big one. Test camera placement before you head out so that you know you'll get a good picture. I've had a few nice fish that I never got a good pic/no pic of because of the above.
gus_webb
Posted 8/9/2011 12:26 PM (#511082 - in reply to #511068)

+1 on the release tools. Anything you would normally have to go digging for, make sure you have readily accessible. And don't be afraid to NOT net a fish...
And I think I'm a little more deliberate on my lure selection when I'm fishing by myself. When someone else is in the boat, I may get a little more experimental. But if it's just me, I tend to take the time to really think about what's going on, where I'm fishing, and what lure/presentation I think gives the best chance for me to see a fish.

I suspect it's sheer coincidence that the lure I select almost always a black bucktail or suick-type jerk bait. :\
dtaijo174
Posted 8/9/2011 1:22 PM (#511098 - in reply to #511068)

Keep the net extended and clear of baits.
Fish slower or more casts to the structure than when fishign with a partner.
ILBOB
Posted 8/9/2011 1:22 PM (#511099 - in reply to #511082)

+1 on release tools and net within reach. Barbless hooks. Self-inflating life vest on at all times!

Edited by ILBOB 8/9/2011 1:26 PM
Flambeauski
Posted 8/9/2011 2:51 PM (#511117 - in reply to #511068)

I almost always work parallel weed edges and drop offs, I can make the most of my casts and cover a lot of water that way. And when I fish alone in rough weather I always ask myself what I'd do if if I actually hook something... say the wind is blowing you up onto a rock reef, sometimes it's best to bug out instead of making those last two or three casts. Or if the light is failing and you don't have a good headlamp. You always need to remember you don't have an extra set of hands to help out in those sticky situations.
chipvet
Posted 8/9/2011 3:35 PM (#511126 - in reply to #511068)

I fish alone most of the time. Have net open and in a convenient spot in the boat; be sure it is not by something it can get caught on (if it can catch on something it will). I have to play fish longer when alone to tire a little ( do not fish alone when hot) reduce drag. Do not try to pick the net up to soon when fish is still green. Put net in water and bring fish from the side not straight toward the boat. I put net in my strong hand and bring in head first; when head enters net I am then able to move the net to the fish to help in netting. Try to play the fish out from the boat a little. Have tools ready all of the time and cut hooks if fish does not come loose fast. Unhook fish in the net; wrap some of the net in your boat tie ons so you don;t lose in the water. Have your camera ready and know how to use it. Fishing alone certainly has it's adventures and you will definitely lose some fish but it also rewarding. The bigger the fish the more that seems to go wrong.
Loner
Posted 8/9/2011 4:04 PM (#511135 - in reply to #511068)

Safety first....Not just hook cutters - REALLY GOOD CUTTERS. They should be able to cut the shank on a hook with your weak hand. Have them easily with in reach when dealing with a fish. Life jacket!!!!! Tell somebody where you are going and when to expect you back. Cell phone... I even make calls to my wife through out the day as a check in "Hey still I'm alive"..."No I STILL haven't caught anything..... Good Bye!!!" click!!!!

Other than the safety aspect there is really only one other thing that changes

Slow down.....not necessarily your presentation but your boat. It's only you so it should take you twice as long to fish a spot than with some one else.
ulbian
Posted 8/9/2011 4:55 PM (#511139 - in reply to #511068)

I too fish alone quite a bit. I echo the statements about good release tools that are close by. I don't worry about the camera, I can grab a cell phone and shoot a pic of the fish in the net. No need to have me dragging a fish out of the water in order to stroke my ego by having my face in the shot.

I find that if your net is buried under tackle boxes you'll need it. When you have it extended and ready free of everything it will go unused.

What I love about fishing alone is that it is a time for me to experiment. I like to do off the wall wacky things and when I'm by myself I don't have to worry about a partner wanting to head off on a milk run fishing the same stuff we normally do. Over the years this approach as given me more confidence when going to an outside of the box type of tactic or location and it has paid off when the fish are off for everyone else. They don't have confidence in those options, but I do. Then if or when you stumble onto something and someone jumps in the boat with you, you can "think" a fish up based on your experimentation and look like a genius. You're not really a genius, you're just more willing to take on the challenge of becoming better.
Posted 8/9/2011 5:01 PM (#511140 - in reply to #511068)

I often fish alone. I have a rope on the end of my net that I can tie off to the boat when I am dealing with the fish so that the net does not sink. I flatten all barbs. Don't want to be pinned to a fish with nobody around to help. Often I leave the fish in the water for a in water picture rather than bothering with a camera timer and tripod and all that. Here is a tip for the in water picture - make sure the fish is out of the net before you take the picture. Those nets are so big they can make a lot of fish look small. You might want to roll the fish on its back in the water before you take the fish. Seems to calm them down.
Jigman
Posted 8/10/2011 1:47 AM (#511182 - in reply to #511068)

I fish alone a lot. I set up a ram mount for my camera so i can take pictures using the timer on the camera. I also put cleat covers over my cleats so when I'm ready to net a fish the net doesn't get caught in the cleat....lost a fish because of this!
JKahler
Posted 8/10/2011 2:01 AM (#511183 - in reply to #511068)

Loosen the drag or thumb the spool near the boat & walk the fish around the boat when you net it. I agree with the above comments about fishing spots slower, or double back over them.

I enjoy fishing alone, but not having someone to share a victory with or to help find a pattern is a downside to it.
Norway pike
Posted 8/10/2011 4:53 AM (#511186 - in reply to #511068)

Camera with remote control and a ram mount( I have one on top of the windshield facing forward). Take some practice photo’s, you can mark a standing spot if it helps you. A net holder, you need to hands to unhook, operate camera etc.

Practice climbing up in the boat(get a ladder in the back)! A lifejacket alone don’t save you, don’t expect to get rescued. Dry sack with extra cloths and surviving stuff, small dry sack for keys, wallet, mobile phone. Pack dry sack with air inside, they will float if your boat doesn’t.

Swiss Army knife and duck tape(if you look like Pete Thornton stay in the office);-)

Jobu
Posted 8/10/2011 9:05 AM (#511196 - in reply to #511068)

Thanks for all the GREAT info guys. I will put some of it to use next week---hopefully while attempting to net my "WORLD RECORD"---haha! Jobu
Ranger
Posted 8/10/2011 2:32 PM (#511250 - in reply to #511068)

My #1 thought runs to safety, especially at night and X10 in colder water. Folks above have provided great suggestions but one I would emphasize is to have quality hook cutters within reach and you must be able to use your weak hand to cut off a thrashing fish that you've been hooked up with.

Folks who have never be careless or unlucky enough to get hooked up with a fish can't understand what it's like.

The biggest short-term, uncontrolable, threat to the fisherman is shock and passing out. Under this circumstance you probably won't know you passed out until you wake up. The biggest long-term threat is the damage you may do you to the appendage you happen to hook. Nerves, blood vessels, tendons, yer jewel sack, yer a$$, eyeballs, whatever.

I have hook cutters held against my seat in a home-made velcro sheath affair. I keep the cutters soaked down with WD-40 and practiced unlocking the lock on the cutters until I memorized how the lock deal works.

Being careless is what got me hooked. And "careless" for me was defined as being in a hurry and not using a safe release process/tools I had right at hand.
Muddy41
Posted 8/10/2011 3:31 PM (#511263 - in reply to #511250)

Nice to see that I am not the only lonser.... oopss meant loner out there!! I fish alot by myself. When the kids are freed up they go along but no where close to what I would like to see do with me.

Fishing alone has 1 advantage and that is no arguing where and when you are going to fish.

Before I got my own boat 3 years ago I was stuck fishing where my buddy wanted to because it was his boat. He never wanted to fish the metro area of which we never did. Now I have my own boat and I fish the heck out of the metro lakes and catch tons of fish. When I do I text every fish I catch to my buddy to let him know there are fish in the metro.

Herb_b
Posted 8/10/2011 3:44 PM (#511266 - in reply to #511068)

Lots of good advice here. The important thing is one can fish alone safely. I do find fishing alone at night a bit more challenging though. The casting is no problem, but releasing the fish is a lot easier with someone holding a flashlight. I have one of those hanging flashlights which does help quite a bit. But its always more fun to have someone along.

Edited by Herb_b 8/10/2011 3:45 PM
Shoot2Kill
Posted 8/10/2011 8:17 PM (#511289 - in reply to #511266)

One of the best tips I ever read on a forum that I have used multiple times is to drill a hole in th end of your net handle, run some rope through it and put a carribeaner clip on it. I measured the rope so the net sits perfectly flat from the side of my boat and I clip the beaner on the rod locker handle on the other side of the boat (helps to have a deep net so the fish can be completely submerged if you have a high sides on your boat). This works very well and as soon as the fish goes in the net, you clip it on, and take a quick breather to gather yourself and enjoy the moment instead of trying to hold the net handle, not the let the fish swim/jump out, get your release tools, etc. People I fish with love this too...it just makes life easier for everyone.

Lots of great tips in this thread!
TEX
Posted 4/11/2012 7:15 PM (#552559 - in reply to #511289)

Has anyone have pictures of that last post sounds like A great idea but I need to see pictures to fully understand
thrax_johnson
Posted 4/11/2012 7:44 PM (#552569 - in reply to #511068)

I never let the whole bag of the net into the water until the fishes head and part of body is going into it. I hook the bottom of the bag with a finger when I grab the net. On most muskie nets, working them one handed and trying to control a fish one handed once that bag is in the water you're not going to move it very well. Just drop the bag when the fish is going into the net. Way too many fish lost when the whole bag is in the water and the fish makes an unexpected move and you can't move the net the way you need to. Mostly from getting hooks caught on it while the fish is not yet in it.
horsehunter
Posted 4/11/2012 7:59 PM (#552571 - in reply to #552569)

A big ditto on the barbless hooks and practice with your camera I have a wonderfull picture of my personal best missing 3/4 of my head.
Tim R
Posted 4/11/2012 9:15 PM (#552588 - in reply to #511068)

Be sober,and dont fish in the dark
cocathntr
Posted 4/11/2012 11:06 PM (#552606 - in reply to #511068)

I have learned a lot from the post above. I fish alone all the time and like it that way. I read that the number one killer of one man boats is peeing out of the boat when trolling. Don't risk falling off a moving boat! Use a bucket or coffee Can.
smbrickner
Posted 4/12/2012 8:17 AM (#552632 - in reply to #511068)

I almost always fish by myself, I like the solitude. While I am just getting into musky fishing I know when fighting a big smallie or walleye I always hit the spot lock button on the I Pilot. Lets me concentrated on what I am doing and I don't have to worry about being blown into shore or on some rocks. Makes it easier to concentrate on what I am doing.
Posted 4/12/2012 8:28 AM (#552633 - in reply to #511068)

what everyone else said plus Let someone know where you are going, and have a long net handle.
Brad P
Posted 4/12/2012 8:42 AM (#552637 - in reply to #511068)

I fish alone a lot as well. +1 on the rope tied to the net. BTurg showed me a trick using a hockey lace tied to the end of the net. Once you get the fish in the bag you just tie off the lace on the oppostie cleat. It basically turns the net into a giant livewell freeing you up to gather your tools, put on gloves, set up the camera, etc. while the fish sits in the water. The other positive is the fish basically start recovering immediately when it is warmer in the summer. Makes for a far less stressful situation for everyone and lets you deal with the hooks right and protect the fish.
pistol pete
Posted 4/12/2012 8:59 AM (#552644 - in reply to #552637)

After I land a fish I put the net handle in a rod holder, maybe not all boats and rod holder positions will work out, but a lot will. Makes things a lot easier. Also, if fishing the wind and you have co-pilot, keep the remote on you or your rod. Easier to avoid danger when fighting a fish or when your working on one. Good luck.
CASTING55
Posted 4/12/2012 9:14 AM (#552649 - in reply to #552644)

#1 thing I see when wacthing a video or dvd is how people net the fish by themselves,I wonder how many they lose because they are not very good at doing it.I like to drop the rod and grab close to the top middle of the rod and put the fish in the net from there,once I`m done reeling thats when I do that,kinda learned that from watching the bass guys on tv when they got to lip the bass,net needs to be extended,release tools on passengers seat and camera under windshield,if windy or something might grab the footpedal and extend it back by me so I can control the boat,have to hold the net in the water while getting the footpedal as I make my way up to the front and back.Also more than one headlamp and maybe a electric lantern for light in the boat,I don`t always like getting off the water when it gets dark,now that I`m getting older and a bit clumbys I need to get a life jacket thats comfy to wear while casting.fishing alone is where that spot lock would be great,also keep the first aid kit by release tools,I once had to take care of my cut from the fishes teeth before I could do anything else.
Flambeauski
Posted 4/12/2012 10:41 AM (#552668 - in reply to #511068)

There would be a lot fewer broken rods if guys didn't watch bass fishing on tv. Remember, those guys get their $200 to $400 rods for free.
Brian
Posted 4/12/2012 12:26 PM (#552688 - in reply to #511068)

Although it has never happened to me, I hear that it is difficult to get back in the boat if you fall in because of the weight of your wet clothes. One option is to climb on the motor to get back in. Another is to make a rope with foot loops (and leave it attached to the boat at all times) so you can climb back in using the foot loops.

Brian
horsehunter
Posted 4/12/2012 12:33 PM (#552691 - in reply to #511068)

Wear your kill switch when running gas motor
Jerry Newman
Posted 4/12/2012 1:58 PM (#552706 - in reply to #552691)

horsehunter - 4/12/2012 12:33 PM Wear your kill switch when running gas motor

Wearing a life vest and, attaching the kill switch is mandatory if you value your life, whether you're fishing alone or not.

firstsixfeet
Posted 4/12/2012 2:20 PM (#552709 - in reply to #552706)

Jerry Newman - 4/12/2012 1:58 PM

Wearing a life vest and, attaching the kill switch is mandatory if you value your life, whether you're fishing alone or not.

Or get incredibly wild and don't do those things.

Do you guys realize how many boating miles people go without being thrown out of the boat while under power? If your boat is such a menace maybe you should slow down.
firstsixfeet
Posted 4/12/2012 2:22 PM (#552710 - in reply to #511068)

And fish after dark as much as possible, it is very productive on clear water lakes.
Jerry Newman
Posted 4/12/2012 4:54 PM (#552735 - in reply to #552709)

firstsixfeet - 4/12/2012 2:20 PM
Jerry Newman - 4/12/2012 1:58 PM

Or get incredibly wild and don't do those things. Do you guys realize how many boating miles people go without being thrown out of the boat while under power? If your boat is such a menace maybe you should slow down.

And do you know how many miles are driven every year in cars by foolish drivers who wear their seatbelts and pay extra money for cars with better airbags? Tell you what,  try convincing some of these people not to clip the engine kill lanyard on and wear their life jacket when they're under power. Don't be such a tool...  

http://www.catfish1.com/forums/showthread.php?179790-Kill-Switch-Safety-Lanyard-Not-Just-There-Because-It-Looks-Pretty

http://forums.floridasportsman.com/archive/index.php/t-33985.html?s=4f436abcbff81255056ae9db7ca797b3

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=thrown%20from%20a%20bass%20boat%20with%20engine%20kill%20lanyard%20attached&source=web&cd=11&ved=0CCEQFjAAOAo&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.bassboatmagazine.com%2Farchive%2Findex.php%2Ft-774.html&ei=PE2HT6unIumF8AHwrZCdCA&usg=AFQjCNGaJb9pOFQxI-2E7wUbQJ6JfI5KxQ&cad=rja

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZSxK9bhMNj8

Edited by Jerry Newman 4/12/2012 4:55 PM
firstsixfeet
Posted 4/12/2012 6:37 PM (#552758 - in reply to #511068)

You can't protect yourself against everything, try though you might.

At some point in life you gotta take the training wheels off.

It's not like the earth is UNDERCROWDED.

Posted 4/12/2012 6:56 PM (#552760 - in reply to #511068)

Take most of what is said here with a grain of salt.
Jerry Newman
Posted 4/12/2012 8:09 PM (#552780 - in reply to #511117)

Flambeauski - 8/9/2011 2:51 PM I almost always work parallel weed edges and drop offs,

That's a big edge that 1 person alone has, getting right on top of it and maximizing every cast. Plus, there's no arguing...

chasintails
Posted 4/13/2012 7:42 AM (#552848 - in reply to #511068)

Life vests and kill switches are hardly training wheels, and using them doesn't make you any less of a man.
horsehunter
Posted 4/13/2012 7:52 AM (#552849 - in reply to #552760)

Guest - 4/12/2012 7:56 PM

Take most of what is said here with a grain of salt.

Better use the whole box
Ronix
Posted 4/13/2012 8:50 AM (#552860 - in reply to #511068)

basic first aid kit...putting a 7/0 hook or tooth into your hand can really dampen your fishing if you dont have the wraps and antibiotics to patch it up (granted unless it requires medical attention then get your nice try off the lake)
Double D
Posted 4/13/2012 11:05 AM (#552886 - in reply to #511068)

I fish alone most of the time and love to fish windy banks. Catching and nettting in a stiff wind blowing you towards shore isn't too bad as long as you stay on the bow mount trolling motor. But when you lean over the side of the boat to unhook or cut hooks you will be blown onto the shore in seconds. Solution - Bring an anchor with you for those really windy days. Throw the anchor out the bow after netting the muskie to give yourself enough time to safely release the muskie without having your boat blown onto a rocky shoreline.
vegas492
Posted 4/13/2012 3:53 PM (#552934 - in reply to #511068)

Always forget the camera and the net. Then you will surely score a fish.

Seriously, though, invest in a Terrova trolling motor with iPilot. If/when you get a fish, you can have it take you away from shore/rocks...etc. Plus you can enter in a path and have the motor run it for you leaving you free to cast without having to work a motor. That trolling motor will seriously make life easier.
firstsixfeet
Posted 4/13/2012 8:31 PM (#552966 - in reply to #552860)

Ronix - 4/13/2012 8:50 AM

basic first aid kit...putting a 7/0 hook or tooth into your hand can really dampen your fishing if you dont have the wraps and antibiotics to patch it up (granted unless it requires medical attention then get your nice try off the lake)

Two words.
Duct Tape.

Any extra blood, drip it on your bucktail before you cast it, that drives the big ones crazy.

Antibiotics?? Maybe carry a surgical team with you also?
Musky Brian
Posted 4/14/2012 12:11 AM (#552999 - in reply to #552966)

I have no issues with the logic of people wearing life vests and using kill switches but it really depends on what kind of boat you are fishing out of and where/what kind of conditions you are fishing in...Does driving in a 619 in 5 MPH winds on a sunny day on a 200 acre lake require a life vest or killswitch? Probably not...Fishing in the middle of Mille Lacs in 5 footers? alright, sure

To each their own, I see a lot of talk on the boards about life vests but I never see them being worn in person..
Jerry Newman
Posted 4/14/2012 10:12 AM (#553031 - in reply to #552999)

I can't speak for anyone else here but I wear a life jacket at all times in the boat.

I honestly don't understand why everyone doesn't because once I put mine on… I forget about it. For those of you that don't, I would liken it to putting on a seat belt every time  you get in the car, after a while it's just habit.  Recently I got to thinking about what could happen if I fell out under power, so now I'm trying to get in the habit of putting on the lanyard.   

Story: A friend of mine (Bruce Wisner) never wore a jacket until a friend of his (Rich Wren) got thrown out of the boat under power. He disappeared beneath the water without a life jacket, and according to Bruce, he thought he would never see him again.

Bruce said the only thing that probably saved him was the air trapped in his rain suit because he bobbed to the surface (completely disorientated) and they were able to get him back in the boat.  If it wasn't raining that day where would Rich Wren be?  After that whenever Bruce and I fished together he would put the life jacket on when we were motoring to a different spot. I asked him why not just leave it on, seems like a hassle? He told me that he found to be uncomfortable while he was casting.

I agree that most people do not wear life jackets, or attach the kill switch lanyard at any speed... even though every boat is required to have them on board.

Top H2O
Posted 4/14/2012 6:43 PM (#553104 - in reply to #553031)

I have never used the kill switch cord in 20 some years............ And,..... I don't wear a life jacket unless the wind is blowing up 4-5 ft.waves, then I'll wear it.

I do have a ladder that deploys down to 2.5 ft into the water if I end up in the water for some reason.
I also don't hardly see anyone wearing their life jackets while out there.

Fsf is my kind of manly man!!!......................................... He probably uses his teeth to re-thread screws that have messed up threads.

Jerome
firstsixfeet
Posted 4/14/2012 10:10 PM (#553146 - in reply to #553104)

Top H2O - 4/14/2012 6:43 PM

I have never used the kill switch cord in 20 some years............ And,..... I don't wear a life jacket unless the wind is blowing up 4-5 ft.waves, then I'll wear it.

I do have a ladder that deploys down to 2.5 ft into the water if I end up in the water for some reason.
I also don't hardly see anyone wearing their life jackets while out there.

Fsf is my kind of manly man!!!......................................... He probably uses his teeth to re-thread screws that have messed up threads.

Jerome

Never needed to do that. Heck, the bone in my forehead is thick enough I can drive em in......just like nails!
dway
Posted 4/15/2012 1:29 AM (#553159 - in reply to #511068)

My four year old son fell into the water last year while wearing a life jacket. My first reaction was to jump in and save him. I didn't need to. His life jacket worked. I was wearing a sweatshirt jacket, jeans, and lightweight addidas. I consider myself a very good swimmer. I felt like I was(instantly) going to die! I couldn't even tread water wearing that. Luckily, I was right next to the gunnel of the boat. I grabbed it w/ the left hand and threw him back in w/ the right. 70 degree water. What would I do in December fishing alone in 38 degree water? I would drown. Carhart coat and bibs, long underwear, jeans, insulated socks, flannel shirt etc...DEAD. A life jacket is very important. Don't take it from me. I still, never wear one. That is a really stupid choice I continue to make since I fish alone 95% of the time.
Ruddiger
Posted 4/15/2012 12:21 PM (#553199 - in reply to #553159)

Howdy,

There are two types of fisherman, those that have fallen in, and those that will. If you have never had it happen you really don't realize how easy it is to do so and how hard it is to get back into the boat. Also, it usually happens when you are doing something you have done a thousand times without incident.

for me it happened in my mid 30's while deploying my Auto Pilot when it got stuck on its pads because of the heat. I was pushing hard and when it deployed my momentum took me with it. I did not have a vest on.

Pulling myself up over the side of the boat, even in July and warm water, was extremely difficult in 12 feet of water. Eventually I had to go to the back of the boat and use the cavitation plate as a step. My Dad also helped me back in. Keep in mind I weigh 160 pounds and am 6 foot tall. Being in shape wasn't the problem, but the angle created while being in the water, combined with the freeboard on my 620T, made it a lot harder than I ever imagined it would be.

Had I been alone, or had the motor been running, it would have been much harder. My point is, it was a freak thing, but freak things happen. Having it occur in October, while fishing alone, could have been a disaster.

That said, I fish alone with my dog most of the time. In addition to all of the other great tips mentioned earlier, I suggest keeping a clean deck so you don't snag or step on anything. Also, if you have an AP equipped motor, use it to take you to open water so you can focus on landing the fish. Finally, wear an inflatable vest. They really are unnoticeable once you have them on, and it may save your life when you fall in.

Take care,

Ruddiger
Herb_b
Posted 4/16/2012 11:08 AM (#553473 - in reply to #511068)

I always wear a life jacket. I have fallen in several times over the years. I also take my wallet and electronics out of my pockets first thing when I get in the boat. It is way to easy to lose your balance when fishing on busy lakes. One unexpected wave and in you go. I even went in a couple times when I wasn't ready and fish hit at boat side. The trick then is hanging onto the rod and getting back into the boat without losing the fish. I have only lost one rod that way.

As far as getting back into the boat, try adding a small ladder to the back of the boat. If you don't have room for one, then have a rope ladder easily accessable from outside of the boat. An AP makes fishing much easier if you are by yourself or not. Also, have the tools ready and a method for holding the net in place when releasing fish. I just wrap the top of the netting into the boat cleat.

Here are some boat ladders that work pretty good and are easy to install. I have the first one on my current boat. Had the second one on my last boat.
http://www.basspro.com/Folding-Ladder-Universal-Mount/product/803/1...
http://www.boatinggearcenter.com/p-2552-compact-transom-ladder-stai...

Edited by Herb_b 4/16/2012 11:11 AM
Jerry Newman
Posted 4/16/2012 12:16 PM (#553482 - in reply to #553104)

Top H2O - 4/14/2012 6:43 PM I have never used the kill switch cord in 20 some years............ And,..... I don't wear a life jacket unless the wind is blowing up 4-5 ft.waves, then I'll wear it. I do have a ladder that deploys down to 2.5 ft into the water if I end up in the water for some reason. I also don't hardly see anyone wearing their life jackets while out there. Fsf is my kind of manly man!!!......................................... He probably uses his teeth to re-thread screws that have messed up threads. Jerome

I wasn't going to even acknowledge 6’s post, but then you did… and now I feel compelled to say something a little more mature. I'm totally amazed that you think it's funny to mock the most basic of boating safety standards, and even though it may outwardly seem harmless to you, the fact is it's pretty irresponsible.

Why?  Well, it's one thing to decide not to wear a life vest yourself because you think you're too cool, or just plain lazy, it's quite another thing to try and impart your bad judgment here on other people… particularly kids who will be reading this. My opinion, not wearing a life vest is the equivalent of not wearing a helmet on a motorcycle, or seatbelts in a car. Of course there is no reason to wear one until an accident. The fact that surgeons prefer to people who don’t wear helmets as organ donors sums up the basic premise for stupidity.

Yeah, that's right I'm ripping on you… and if you and 6’ want to come on here and undermine my effort to promote safety with that brand of stupid manliness… you better come at me with something better than “nobody else is wearing them” and I have “20 years experience”.  Would you make kids wear life jackets in your boat, or perhaps like your hero 6’, you feel “It's not like the earth is UNDERCROWDED”… just pathetic. My guess is you're one of those “do as I say, not as I do” guys though… while a guy like 6’ might let four-year-olds run around the boat without a life vest while he drinks beer and pounds screws with his thick skull (his words).

My only intention was to answer a simple question, promote a little safety, and move on, but you jumped on here pretty much denouncing safety. Why? You're probably wondering about now why you've touched such a nerve with me? Truth be told... tragically, I watched a loved one needlessly drown on a perfectly calm lake when a PFD could have saved his life. I can still remember seeing him go down for the last time... all the bubbles coming up afterward, was bad. You hearing me clear enough? I doubt there's any changing 6’, but I hope you will at least consider being a little better ambassador for our sport in the future.

By the way, the last time I checked, hammers and screwdrivers were still considered “tools”.

Herb_b
Posted 4/16/2012 12:43 PM (#553489 - in reply to #511068)

Every year we read about people drowning for no reason other than they weren't wearing a life vest. There are so many life vest/preserver options now that it is no longer a matter of fishing in comfort without one or in discomfort with one. I prefer life vests with the mesh shoulder, but there are other types that are nice too. There are also the inflatable types that many people like. Here are a few links:

http://www.cabelas.com/catalog/browse/boating-life-jackets-vests-fi...
http://www.basspro.com/Life-Jackets/_/S-225017000

One thing is for certain: If you don't wear a life vest and end up drowning as a result, no one will talk about how smart you were at your funeral. I've been to a couple funerals like that and its always so sad and yet frustrating for the family and friends because it was so unnecessary. Seeing a life end early because they just wouldn't wear a life vest? Just joking about that seems not-so-bright.

Edited by Herb_b 4/16/2012 12:46 PM
smbrickner
Posted 4/16/2012 12:56 PM (#553494 - in reply to #511068)

When the big motor is running wear a vest.
If it's really choppy, wear a vest.
That's my rule, if you don't like fish out of someone elses boat.
Posted 4/16/2012 2:53 PM (#553537 - in reply to #511068)

Some great posts here guys, I'm checking out 1 of those inflatable ones right now, thanks for increasing awareness.
firstsixfeet
Posted 4/16/2012 7:28 PM (#553622 - in reply to #553489)

Herb_b - 4/16/2012 12:43 PM
One thing is for certain: If you don't wear a life vest and end up drowning as a result, no one will talk about how smart you were at your funeral. I've been to a couple funerals like that and its always so sad and yet frustrating for the family and friends because it was so unnecessary. Seeing a life end early because they just wouldn't wear a life vest? Just joking about that seems not-so-bright.

Herb, going back and forth with you AND Jerry Newman on a muskie chat board?
C'mon dweeb, no one will talk about how smart I am anyway...

firstsixfeet
Posted 4/16/2012 7:49 PM (#553630 - in reply to #553482)

Jerry Newman - 4/16/2012 12:16 PM

< wasn't going to even acknowledge 6’s post, but then you did… and now I feel compelled to say something a little more mature. I'm totally amazed that you think it's funny to mock the most basic of boating safety standards, and even though it may outwardly seem harmless to you, the fact is it's pretty irresponsible.

Why?  Well, it's one thing to decide not to wear a life vest yourself because you think you're too cool, or just plain lazy, it's quite another thing to try and impart your bad judgment here on other people… particularly kids who will be reading this. My opinion, not wearing a life vest is the equivalent of not wearing a helmet on a motorcycle, or seatbelts in a car. Of course there is no reason to wear one until an accident. The fact that surgeons prefer to people who don’t wear helmets as organ donors sums up the basic premise for stupidity.

Yeah, that's right I'm ripping on you… and if you and 6’ want to come on here and undermine my effort to promote safety with that brand of stupid manliness… you better come at me with something better than “nobody else is wearing them” and I have “20 years experience”.  Would you make kids wear life jackets in your boat, or perhaps like your hero 6’, you feel “It's not like the earth is UNDERCROWDED”… just pathetic. My guess is you're one of those “do as I say, not as I do” guys though… while a guy like 6’ might let four-year-olds run around the boat without a life vest while he drinks beer and pounds screws with his thick skull (his words).

My only intention was to answer a simple question, promote a little safety, and move on, but you jumped on here pretty much denouncing safety. Why? You're probably wondering about now why you've touched such a nerve with me? Truth be told... tragically, I watched a loved one needlessly drown on a perfectly calm lake when a PFD could have saved his life. I can still remember seeing him go down for the last time... all the bubbles coming up afterward, was bad. You hearing me clear enough? I doubt there's any changing 6’, but I hope you will at least consider being a little better ambassador for our sport in the future.

By the way, the last time I checked, hammers and screwdrivers were still considered “tools”.

Jerry, you have elevated gum gnashing and hand wringing to an art form. Maybe you should learn to swim.
sworrall
Posted 4/16/2012 7:56 PM (#553633 - in reply to #511068)

Care is advised when allowing FSF to mess with you, he can cut titanium with his wit.
jackson
Posted 4/17/2012 7:51 AM (#553726 - in reply to #511068)

wow, lots of people on here are treating this like you are crab fishing in Alaska all by yourself. Fishing for muskie alone is really no big deal. i do it all the time at my cabin. Quite simple actually, just keep your net close by as well as your hook removing tools. Once the fish is in the net, you take the hooks out. Take a pic, put the fish back in the water. I am certainly not going to tell you to send up warning flares and beacons and have a life boat near by.
Flambeauski
Posted 4/17/2012 8:50 AM (#553738 - in reply to #511068)

I have a specially made Life Alert For Solo Anglers: "I've fallen in and I can't get out!"
"Don't worry Sir, help is on the way"
Jerry Newman
Posted 4/17/2012 10:17 AM (#553756 - in reply to #553726)

jackson - 4/17/2012 7:51 AM wow, lots of people on here are treating this like you are crab fishing in Alaska all by yourself. Fishing for muskie alone is really no big deal. i do it all the time at my cabin. Quite simple actually, just keep your net close by as well as your hook removing tools. Once the fish is in the net, you take the hooks out. Take a pic, put the fish back in the water. I am certainly not going to tell you to send up warning flares and beacons and have a life boat near by.

Agree, keep it fun... and safe. My only intention was to promote a little safety and move on like I said. I don't think that recommending a life vest constitutes notifying the Coast Guard before fishing, but do agree it's gotten out of hand, and it's partially my fault. 

Steve, I believe we have both attempted to roll down the avenue of intelligent conversation with him, and it normally ends up being a one-way street with lots of pot holes.  Seriously, the only wit I see him cutting here is a fart, and that pretty much sums up what he has added to this thread. 

I'm sitting here this morning wondering how I got tangled up in this over just a couple of his moronic comments... I'm a better person than that, and will not respond to any of his shenanigans again.

horsehunter
Posted 4/17/2012 11:26 AM (#553766 - in reply to #511068)

Every summer in Ontario they air a TV comercial showing 2 small kids bobing around in life jackets shouting daddy daddy.Obviously the father wasn't wearing a PFD. Where will your kids be if your not there for them.

I fished for over 30 years without a PFD except in late season when I wore a float coat thinking I have always been a strong swimmer. That changed 2 years ago when I found myself wondering why I was laying on the basement floor. I had hit my head on the laundry tubs during the fall and have no idea how long I was out.Doctors were never able to figure out why. I wonder what the outcome would have been if it had happened when I was alone on the bow of my boat.I now wear a PFD.
Rumor has it that the law in Ontario is being changed to require PFD's to be worn when in a boat. This came from a member of the OPP marine unit.
dtaijo174
Posted 4/17/2012 2:32 PM (#553815 - in reply to #553766)

horsehunter - 4/17/2012 11:26 AM

Rumor has it that the law in Ontario is being changed to require PFD's to be worn when in a boat. This came from a member of the OPP marine unit.

Do gooders destroy everything in life that's fun.
horsehunter
Posted 4/17/2012 2:56 PM (#553825 - in reply to #511068)

Why don't we take the safety labels off everything and let the problem of stupid people solve itself.
Schuler
Posted 4/17/2012 3:34 PM (#553829 - in reply to #511068)

If you fall in, use the trim on your motor to elevate yourself into the boat. Its easier than climbing over the side. Don't rush fish into the net. Its not as easy by yourself. It probably takes me a minute or 2 to land a fish when fishing by myself. Wear a lifejacket under power. You never know when something new could be under the water to hit. (especially if you fish rivers)
TEX
Posted 4/17/2012 7:53 PM (#553868 - in reply to #511068)

I talked to the local butcher todat to see what kind of butcher gloves he uses he uses A steel mesh which isnt going to stop A hook but he suggested A welders glove anyone ever used one
Jerry Newman
Posted 4/17/2012 10:06 PM (#553902 - in reply to #553868)

double post...

Edited by Jerry Newman 4/17/2012 10:11 PM
Jerry Newman
Posted 4/17/2012 10:10 PM (#553904 - in reply to #553868)

I've been using a welders gloves for about 20 years, it protects your wrist and hand awesome while unhooking fish, if you glue truck inner tube to the thumb you can use it to open the mouth or lip them like bass.  
Top H2O
Posted 4/17/2012 10:19 PM (#553905 - in reply to #553482)

Yeah, that's right I'm ripping on you… and if you and 6’ want to come on here and undermine my effort to promote safety with that brand of stupid manliness… you better come at me with something better than “nobody else is wearing them” and I have “20 years experience”.  Would you make kids wear life jackets in your boat, or perhaps like your hero 6’, you feel “It's not like the earth is UNDERCROWDED”… just pathetic. My guess is you're one of those “do as I say, not as I do” guys though… while a guy like 6’ might let four-year-olds run around the boat without a life vest while he drinks beer and pounds screws with his thick skull (his words)
=====================================================
Wow Newman,........I never came on here to undermine your belief that everyone in the world should stop listening to your TIP of wearing a pfd at ALL Times. (and I consider it a good Tip)
I was just stating that my choice is to not wear one. (This is still America, unless you live in Americas Hat.
I have 7 children and the youngest is 14 they ALL were taught to swim by age 5. and are real good swimmers,like their Dad.
With that said they also wore a PFD while in the boat untill they turned 13 (Mn. law) anyone under age 13 in my boat will wear a PFD , Always.
When did i ever say I was Cool ? , And stupid manliness,..come on,...... What is that?
You don't know me at all,..or, "my hero fsf" I just gave my opinion and you ASSume that I was going after you,.......... Well I wasn't ,....So chill out Newman.
I'll say it again,..your tip to wear a PFD is a good one,...... I just Chose not to wear one(unless it is really windy) That is my Right as a Taxpayer in the great state of Mn.
Oh, I hated wearing a bike helmet when I "used to ride" Helmet Laws Suck !...... Uhhh,Ohh,....maybe I shouldn't have said that,......200 people just threw their Bell Helmets in the trash. (Sarcasm,.. Hello?)
Jerome

Edited by Top H2O 4/17/2012 10:21 PM
Jerry Newman
Posted 4/18/2012 9:08 AM (#553968 - in reply to #553905)

Top H2O - 4/17/2012 10:19 PM When did i ever say I was Cool ? , And stupid manliness,..come on,...... What is that? Jerome

Top H2O - 4/14/2012 6:43 PM Fsf is my kind of manly man!!!......................................... Jerome

Honestly, I was just in one of those Monday morning moods and shouldn't have said all of that, but that being “manly” part you said is probably the part that struck a nerve. That's the general mentality that’s out there, only kids and light weights who can't swim wear life jackets. I don't know you, but it's still my opinion it's not the best of examples you're setting. I'm just curious, would your preference be your kids wear them as adults? I realize it's going to be their choice, and maybe you don't have an opinion, or might even take offense to this question. But, I'm sure you see where I'm going with that…

BTW, it was my father that I watched go under the water when I was 13...probably why it struck a raw nerve with me. I'm a pretty fun-loving regular guy but just can't find any "humor" in mocking (even sarcastically) PFDs for that reason. I still should have been a bigger person though and not jumped down your throat.

It's your right not to wear one, never said it wasn't… it was also a local paramedics right not to wear a helmet on his motorcycle this past weekend, he's dead. When I was a kid I can remember seatbelts never being worn, even though manufacturers were required to put them in every car (same as PDFs in boats now). It took big brother to step in and threaten people with fines before they started wearing them… perhaps that's what it's going to take before the majority wears PFDs?

Jerry Newman
Posted 4/18/2012 9:15 AM (#553971 - in reply to #553829)

Schuler - 4/17/2012 3:34 PM If you fall in, use the trim on your motor to elevate yourself into the boat. Its easier than climbing over the side. Don't rush fish into the net. Its not as easy by yourself. It probably takes me a minute or 2 to land a fish when fishing by myself. Wear a lifejacket under power. You never know when something new could be under the water to hit. (especially if you fish rivers)

Excellent tips...

I had a guy fall face first ( basically dive) into 12' of 42° water out of my boat back in the 80's, thought that was the end of him. It seemed like minutes... but was probably only 10 or 15 seconds before he came back up totally panicked. I used the Power trim to help get him back in the boat.

Posted 4/30/2012 8:11 PM (#556932 - in reply to #553971)

Bring hard liquor. It'll warm ya up if you fall in.

AngleFisherman
Posted 4/30/2012 9:38 PM (#556960 - in reply to #511068)

I wasn't going to respond but I think I will. As I do fish alone and alot with my young grandkids, which is just about alone in a emergency, I read all these posts. I do follow alot of the tips except for one. WEARING MY PFD. I do make them wear them and have tried to make it a habit to wear my inflatable with the lanyard hooked to it when we are under power. I suck at it and can't seem to get into the habit of wearing it. I have no problem being called stupid for not wearing it. CAUSE I AM. After reading about the fella watching his dad drown I thought about what it would do to my grandkids if they had to watch me drown because I was to stupid to wear my life jacket. SHAME ON ME. As the season is just starting up here I will make a better effort to try and get into the habit of putting on my life jacket. If I don't care about me then it will be for my grandkids. I and my Grandkids thank the fella who had the courage to share his story to open my eyes. I thank you for calling me what I am for not wearing my PFD, STUPID, you might have saved my life. Come up to the Angle and I will take you fishing on my dime.
Thanks
Gar
esoxlazer
Posted 4/30/2012 11:59 PM (#556990 - in reply to #511068)

Most of what I was going to say has been covered already, but I'll try to give a quick rundown of what I was planning on saying. A friend of mine was found dead on a remote lake about 9 years ago after succumbing to hypothermia when he went overboard. He wasn't wearing his kill switch so the boat got away from him and he couldn't swim so the best anyone can guess is that he panicked and ended up in a lot more trouble than he would have been had he kept his wits about him.

First and foremost, I'm always wearing a PFD while fishing alone or in adverse conditions. I haven't gone overboard, but I've thought time and time again about exactly what I would do if it should happen...I'd make my way to the back of the boat, hug the motor, and use the power tilt to get myself back in. If that wasn't an option, I always keep a loop of dock line off the front of the boat to give myself something to hold onto. I've driven this into my own head so if/when the worst happens, I don't panic. When stressful situations arise, most people panic and don't think clearly...having a well thought out plan ahead of time will help prevent panic. If you don't have power tilt/trim, what else can you do to give yourself an option to get back into the boat? Aside from coming up with a plan, always make sure that someone knows where you are and approximately what time you will be getting back. Although not as big of a deall on metro lakes, being stranded on big water or in a remote location could turn bad fast. If you should happen to be on a remote body of water and you run into trouble, someone will at least know where you are to send help if you should happen to need it. I'm sorry for being redundant in this thread, its just something that hits close to home and it kills me to hear of people dying or getting seriously hurt when it could very easily be avoided. Be safe out there and enjoy the solitude of fishing alone...nothing is more peaceful than being out solo, but it can also be very dangerous if something goes wrong.
misterperch
Posted 5/1/2012 9:04 PM (#557244 - in reply to #556990)

I am an old guy who grew up in the north, Cass Lake MN. I always wear my life jacket have a real comfy one i got back when i used to do a lot of whitewater canoeing. No I am not a wimp and not stupid and i have a responsibility to the family to come back alive.
I fish for muskies alone a lot. The big thing i do to deal with fish is i have this old floating cradle tied to the boat. Try to slow down when unhooking the fish. If you do get hooked up with the fish, treble in your hand and in the fish, ouch yes i am a klutz, i just pull the rope to the cleat a bit tighter to keep the fish from thrashing cut the hook and the net too if that's where my hand ends up. Try to cut the hook as close to the lure as you can then you have plenty of grip to push it through and out. $900 bucks ER out of my pocket not again, or if your not cheap like me or have better insurance it gives the ER doc a better handle to get it out.
A good first aid kit and some training is a must.
The hardwood handles on old cradle with the rope is strong enough to hold me and get me back in the boat. Did i mention i am a klutz. Practice self rescue in controlled conditions is something i learned whitewater canoeing. So practice falling out of the boat and getting back in. Start out calm water day and work your way up to whitecaps with help near by.
Gordy the game warden would say be safe. The old man would say he fought the Japanese so you have the freedom to be stupid and he has the freedom to deal with you if your stupid around him. I miss the old man and every year i get more like him. So if you want to be crazy and not wear the PFD and no kill lanyard and you fall out and your boat is racing on near me.... I miss Gordy too.
jonnysled
Posted 5/1/2012 9:19 PM (#557245 - in reply to #511068)

i'd missed this post and just panned through it, but as someone who fishes alone a lot ... i have a rope that i throw out and let drag behind the boat. if you do fall out of the boat you can increase the "size" of your boat to get back to it if you ever find yourself in the water. while fishing it's out of the way behind you but if you need to get to the boat you increase your odds ... then as mentioned previously, use the motor and trim switch to get you in if you are stressed.

practice it too ... so you know what to do and how to do it in-case you need to.
firstsixfeet
Posted 5/1/2012 9:36 PM (#557248 - in reply to #556932)

Guest - 4/30/2012 8:11 PM

Bring hard liquor. It'll warm ya up if you fall in.

Just had to get them started again, didncha?

Gimme a sip of that...
Posted 5/1/2012 10:59 PM (#557263 - in reply to #511068)

I've never looked at my motor for this before and its in storage. How do you activate the trim/tilt from in the water?

Thanks.
jonnysled
Posted 5/2/2012 6:43 AM (#557276 - in reply to #511068)

most larger outboards have a trim switch on the motor itself. it's usually located to the right (looking from the rear of the boat) and just at the level where the top cowl comes to meet it, but on the base part of the motor.
Jeremy
Posted 5/2/2012 7:52 AM (#557291 - in reply to #511068)

Great series of posts really! All valid points. I fish alone a lot and never wear a life vest unless it gets ugly out and have never used that kill switch connection.

Still thanks to all for raising the points given. It's going to make me a good bit more cautious.

Jeremy.