what do i need to use a GO PRO Camera?
RJ
Posted 8/8/2011 8:55 AM (#510889)
Subject: what do i need to use a GO PRO Camera?

looking at picking up one of these, could anybody share what i need to get going, or how it all works, CPU requirements, how do you store the videos, etc...?

Thanks in advance.
sworrall
Posted 8/8/2011 9:06 AM (#510891 - in reply to #510889)
Subject: Re: what do i need to use a GO PRO Camera?

Stores the video to a SD card, up to a 32 gig. That will get you about 8 to 9 hours max
•PC Compatibility: Windows® Vista or Windows® 7; Mac OS® X 10.4.11 and later
Editing: PC based, several choices, Roxio has a nice platform that's intuitive and effective, and outputs to almost any format you might need.
Mac based, Final Cut is the way to go, but it's expensive. Other platforms available including the simple program that comes with the software install. I store raw video I'm going to edit on the hard drive of the machine, unless you have a class 10 SDHC card your computer may have issues editing from the card. Once the video is rendered, I store it to a stand alone HD, you can get one that stores a thousand clips easy for under $100. Once I have the video stored on the stand alone, if I don't think I need double storage, I delete it from the HD and the SDHC card.

This goes for any video shot with any camera that stores to an SDHC card or other removeable media that is direct to edit.
mcgeissler
Posted 8/8/2011 7:09 PM (#510977 - in reply to #510891)

Do people wear the helmet or is there some kind of head band for using this camera? Or, is it best to mount it to a tripod?
Tackle Industries
Posted 8/8/2011 8:42 PM (#510985 - in reply to #510977)

Looks like if you want to mount it to anything they make it!

http://pointofviewcameras.com/accessories/gopro?gclid=COqt37uKwaoCF...

http://pointofviewcameras.com/accessories/gopro?gclid=COqt37uKwaoCF...

Definitely getting one of these! Anyone need a $500 Archos system? Comes with a free Cabelas hat!
horsehunter
Posted 8/8/2011 10:01 PM (#511002 - in reply to #510889)

A friend of mine has one on a headband, one on his outboard covering the boat, and one underwater mounted on the side of his bowmount positioning motor ( I hate the term trolling motor) Too Many Toys
ttrap
Posted 8/8/2011 10:13 PM (#511008 - in reply to #510889)

You can get a chest harness which I like a little more so that you are constantly moving your head around making people sick but it is a little tricky to get it set up right. I also mount mine on the trolling motor for under water footage kind of looks a little funny due to the lens cover being round I have heard of some people changing the lens cover on the case to a flat cover which makes the video more like how it works out of water.
ttrap
Posted 8/8/2011 10:19 PM (#511009 - in reply to #510889)

Oh and before you submerge the system I would test it out without the camera in it!!!
Kwestlund
Posted 8/9/2011 11:37 AM (#511067 - in reply to #510889)

Mine will be arriving tomorrow and can't wait for this weekend. Where should I go to pick up the 32gb cards? Also how does the lcd screen accessory work?

bfunk73183
Posted 8/9/2011 12:14 PM (#511081 - in reply to #511067)

You can get SD cards anywhere....I don't skimp on quality on those, I just run 2 16gig cards, class 10 cards ....the LCD screen costs $70 and it plugs into the peripheral hookup on the back of the camera, comes with a new waterproof case....its a nice extra that I like to have especially when taking pictures .....if you buy it you need the software update for the gopro, all the info is on their website

Fyi you can only run the LCD screen if you bought the higher end HD hero (1080p) camera

Brian
JK
Posted 8/10/2011 11:12 PM (#511315 - in reply to #510889)
Subject: RE: what do i need to use a GO PRO Camera?

the guy I fish with uses a head strap and has got some awesome footage this year. One thing that is nice is it allows you to stop recording and delete univenful stretches. I would also say to get a spare battery if you want to record for extended periods of time.
Tackle Industries
Posted 8/12/2011 6:38 AM (#511462 - in reply to #510889)

Are there many models of the GoPro? Which one is the best model number. Thanks! Just want to cut down my search time...
swanezy
Posted 8/12/2011 12:59 PM (#511522 - in reply to #510889)

I have the 960 Go pro.. it records up to 960p obviously by the name... Reason i got it was because i prefer recording a whole trip of 8 hours with my 32 Gig SDHC card. But that is when i have it set to record in 720p. 960 will get you about 5 hours or so on a 32 gig card. Although if you want to do this you will need to get a couple extra batteries, which are only 20 dollars each. Each battery lasts a solid 2.5 hours, sometimes longer.

I got the 960, plus 3 batteries for 200 something, and it came with the head strap and everything. I use that on my hat and it works great. I don't move my head all around that much so it works well.

You can get a 32 gig SDHC card online at newegg.com for around 50 dollars.. There are ones that are 100 but they are just a rip off because of the brands. Some are pricey though because they transfer data a lot faster. Just don't look for them in a store or you will likely pay 100 dollars for something you can get online for 50

Just go to gopro.com if you want more info, they describe each product pretty well on their site
ttrap
Posted 8/14/2011 11:59 PM (#511796 - in reply to #510889)

I would go with the the 1080 hd model as you have several settings that you can put it to such as 960/720 and record several hours on it. With the 1080 model they sell a battery pack that basically just adds a second battery to the system so you would have no problem recording for 6-8 hours off those two batteries plus you can buy several other batteries and have them as back ups. You can not add that to the 960 model.
sworrall
Posted 8/15/2011 8:07 AM (#511820 - in reply to #510889)

Once you get to that point spending that amount of cash, you may want to look into the VIO POV. They offer the 1.5 in shooting in wide screen ( perfect for web), and a new model that shoots 1080. They power with AA batteries so I can use my rechargeables carrying one set in the camera DVR and another in a pocket getting me about 7 hours. The most important feature other than the best rating out there is the 'tag' option, allowing one to tag an event within a set period of time, and only that period of time is saved to the SDHC card. Editing is a snap because only relevant video is saved. The camera is also separate from the DVR allowing all sorts of mounts.
Allen
Posted 8/16/2011 1:30 PM (#512097 - in reply to #510889)

I could use some help with choosing an SDHC memory card class 10 in either 32 GB or 16 GB for the Go Pro HD Hero 1080 p that I'll buy soon.

Also, Steve, you mentioned that for PC based computers that the Roxio has a nice
platform. Would that be the Roxio Creator Pro 2011 ? Or would it be a different Roxio
program ?

What brands of SDHC cards are folks using that they are satisfied with ?

I've thought about buying the Mustang Flash 32 GB Lemans SDHC, class 10 card that is on the Point of View Cameras. com website.

However, I'm thinking that I may be able to get a better quality made by others. I don't mind spending about 160.00 or so. I just want to make sure the card I get is compatible with the camera system, and of great quality for my musky videos.

Your help/advice is appreciated. Al.
swanezy
Posted 8/17/2011 8:26 AM (#512195 - in reply to #510889)

lol.. don't buy any SDHC cards listed on any of these websites... they are ripoffs.. If you pay 160.00 for a 32 GB, ill feel sorry for you.. Not to mention you are spending 3x more than you actually need to spend..

Look at all these cards on newegg.. I have a transcend card and it works great in my gopro.. if you are looking for a class 10 card, there are plenty to choose from and under 50.00.. If you think spending 160.00 on a SDHC card is going to make you feel better go ahead, but it would only be a waste of money

Also search around on google and see what other people are using with their gopro's, it helps out. Also some of the people point out in their reviews that they use those cards for their gopro's as well.. Just do some searching and see what ones are compatible and which aren't before you buy.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&Depa=0&Or...
Allen
Posted 8/17/2011 8:59 AM (#512201 - in reply to #512195)

Swanezy, thankyou for the info, it's great. I don't want to spend anymore on the
SDHC class 10 card than I have to. I just was not sure If I would get a bigger bang for my buck if I spent more, but you have cleared that up for me.

Also, I did some searching around to learn about these SDHC cards, but I never thought about using You Tube as a search tool. Great advice.

I appreciate your time to help me out.

Al

swanezy
Posted 8/17/2011 3:49 PM (#512273 - in reply to #510889)

np, i did the searching when i saw that on Gopro's website they sold their 32 gig cards for 100 dollars.. i knew they didn't cost that much, but had to check it out further.

Hopefully you find one that works and is a good price
Tackle Industries
Posted 8/22/2011 10:48 AM (#512917 - in reply to #510889)

Well, I have seen enough of the GoPro to be convinced. I will be a GoPro retailer soon. Just got it worked out and filling out the paperwork now. Hope to get these out for about 10%-15% less than the current MSRP too. Still can't believe a camera in thsi price range gives this kind of video! Wow
James